Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Also the combat here is very declined because now it have long ass animations and i had to play it with speed hacks.
what speed hacks? I'm annoyed by the slowness...

newtmonkey

Arcane
Here is Vogel's overall concept of the game, which he posted on the Steam forums:

1. Grinding is boring and lame. This game doesn't have grinding. If you find a dungeon, you can almost always beat it and move on to exciting new stuff. Haven only rewards winners, though. You have to enter every dungeon determined to WIN. Coffee is for closers.

Whatever else you can say about Queen's Wish, it's determined to not waste your time.

2. Part of the reason for the free respec system is because you need it. On higher difficulty levels, you will have to make hard decisions about which situational abilities you need to take to beat a dungeon. Most people who thing the game is simple and dumbed down have barely left the low level zones.

I think this pretty much tells you whether you'd like the game. I've decided 7 hours in that I don't care for it. You're apparently supposed to clear out every dungeon the first time you step foot in it, but you also need to respec your characters (which can only be done in towns) to meet the challenges in these dungeons. I don't understand how this works, other than, go to a dungeon, realize all the enemies are resistant to physical damage, reload, respect to heavy magic users, and them steamroll the dungeon. That doesn't sound like a game that's "determined to not waste your time" to me.

hell bovine

Arcane
Reding his responses on the steam forums, it seems like he honestly doesn't get it. I think he got too used to the echo chamber that is his hadcore fanbase.

Respawning enemies will lead to grind if you necessitate killing them in order to finish a task. It doesn't matter that you have removed the exp reward for killing.
If you have to repeatedly fight the (respawned) enemies, because you have failed to clear the dungeon in one go, that is going to be grinding.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That isn't an anti-grinding mechanic at all and I don't understand why he even mentions that word.

It's a Sawyerist "anti-degeneracy"/anti-rest spamming mechanic (albeit one that Josh Sawyer himself would never have the guts to implement). You can't leave the dungeon and rest/resupply after every fight, you have to do it one go.

Maybe he means "grinding" rests?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Challenge is not good in and of itself, its only good if you have fun gameplay systems that make facing the challenges worthwhile.

Part of the reason my Avernum playthrough takes forever even though I really enjoy the game is that I stupidly chose a higher difficulty, which doesn't make the game more interesting at all. Combat is serviceable but relatively bland and the higher difficulty adds little to change that. I am still going through the same motions and using the same abilities all the time. Its not like a challenge makes me try completely different tactics or anything, since the systems just don't support diverse approaches. So the only difference is that I progress much more slowly and very often I have to stop halfway through a dungeon to return at a later date. If you have to do that several times, it can get annoying and also simply confusing in such a large game world (wait, have I already been there?).

The best solution to this would be to make more interesting combat but if he can't or doesn't want to do that I suppose designing dungeons in such a way that you face unique challenges but can finish them first try is probably fine too?
thinking.png

newtmonkey

Arcane
One of the most enjoyable things about classic RPGs is pushing yourself as far as you can go, and then realizing when you need to retreat to regain resources. In contrast, the enjoyable thing about a game with fixed encounters (like Divinity of M&MX) is taking interesting/difficult encounters down one by one and slowly making the map safe for exploration.

This game accomplishes neither, and is probably one of the "grindiest" games I've played in a long time. If you make it halfway through a set of encounters and realize you aren't prepared to finish the rest of it and need to respec, you might as well just reload because going back to town will revive all enemies and leave you back at square one. It's such a waste of time playing this game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, sometimes you find stuff in the area which helps on the second run, so retreating may be better than reloading.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Yeah but 85% of the stuff you find in the treasure chests is "logs of wood" and "blocks of stone." You might find some scrolls, but all the equipment upgrades are through the town development system.

And that still leaves you with having to grind through all the encounters you finished a second time, only now you are two logs of wood richer.

I think the real benefit of not reloading is that time passes by, so you might get your next delivery of materials/gold, so you can upgrade your towns again and maybe purchase a better bow for one of your guys.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What's with developers who want to prohibit grinding? Let the people play the games how they want to and reward them for very agressive, non-grinding play, instead of limiting their playstyle choices

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What's with developers who want to prohibit grinding? Let the people play the games how they want to and reward them for very agressive, non-grinding play, instead of limiting their playstyle choices

Would have to balance things. Too much work. I'm old and tired. Don't want to balance. 25 years of experience. So tired. And old.

https://www.pcgamer.com/spiderweb-softwares-latest-crappy-looking-rpg-is-now-live/

:)

I thought the repeat of 'customary' was a self-referential 'look, I am fully aware of writing cliche scene right now' touch; it also suggests that the spoiled hero has seen this many times and is bored.

Yes, it's repetition for emphasis. In this case, the speaker is so used to the nobles' contempt that he sees it as part of the room's arrangement, like the chair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetition_(rhetorical_device)

Last edited:

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've had a mixed experience with the "do the dungeons in one go" design of this game:

Pros:
  • Most tense and punishing dungeons in a Vogel game due to the heightened stakes. A single careless use of a 2 energy cost spell can snowball into making a dungeon near impossible to complete at lower levels.
Cons:
  • Prior meta knowledge of the types of enemies one faces in a dungeons is too valuable, encouraging save scumming and returning after a respec. A possible solution is to have something akin to the bonfires from KoTC mid-dungeon, but instead of refilling energy, they could allow a one-time respec of the party to prepare for the foes encountered in the dungeon.
  • The attrition style combat design of Queen's Wish cannot sustain (and hence, does not contain) the larger and more complex dungeon layouts of Vogel's other games.

I'm probably halfway through the game (level 15), and I've grown less annoyed over the oneshot dungeon design after unlocking energy and multi-heal/multi-cure potions at the alchemists along with resistance gear at the blacksmiths. Unlike the early game where I had to redo dungeons due to having the "wrong" party composition for the dungeon, the increased equipment options around mid game allows one to roll with the punches and improvise.

Unfortunately, to unlock all these equipment and tactical options, one needs to make a beeline for the 6 forts on the map, ignoring more compelling content until later. One of the game's numerous flaws is that playing it like a typical crpg where one focuses on a specific quest chain or area will leave the player grossly underpowered with respect to tactical options. The sense of progression and increase in power from just leveling is sorely lacking, and is instead gated behind the busywork of building up 6 other forts.

Mortmal

Arcane
Here is Vogel's overall concept of the game, which he posted on the Steam forums:

1. Grinding is boring and lame. This game doesn't have grinding. If you find a dungeon, you can almost always beat it and move on to exciting new stuff. Haven only rewards winners, though. You have to enter every dungeon determined to WIN. Coffee is for closers.

Whatever else you can say about Queen's Wish, it's determined to not waste your time.

2. Part of the reason for the free respec system is because you need it. On higher difficulty levels, you will have to make hard decisions about which situational abilities you need to take to beat a dungeon. Most people who thing the game is simple and dumbed down have barely left the low level zones.

I think this pretty much tells you whether you'd like the game. I've decided 7 hours in that I don't care for it. You're apparently supposed to clear out every dungeon the first time you step foot in it, but you also need to respec your characters (which can only be done in towns) to meet the challenges in these dungeons. I don't understand how this works, other than, go to a dungeon, realize all the enemies are resistant to physical damage, reload, respect to heavy magic users, and them steamroll the dungeon. That doesn't sound like a game that's "determined to not waste your time" to me.

Yes he doesn't get it... I especially appreciate "the game is simple and dumbed down have barely left the low level zones", spent 15 hours in and have yet to respec characters and rethink my build cause of an unwinnable encounter. There's not much difference between normal and veteran you will just spend more energy in vet and have friendly fire, probably the real normal difficulty.
There's indeed some level scaling, open world is divided in tiers so you will have to explore the three areas at same time but dont worry jeff is gently holding your hand the game will warn you if you enter tier 2 without the required level.... Maybe not such a bad idea to allocate xp only when completing a dungeon else the game would be far too easy. Cant say the fort system is overwhelming either, you build one building of each type in each fort , the rooms aren't even scaled in size with them . So far there's no tough ressource management, its at the level of kingdom management people were writing in basic in school around 80's, wait no less, theres no food supplies.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Part of the reason my Avernum playthrough takes forever even though I really enjoy the game is that I stupidly chose a higher difficulty, which doesn't make the game more interesting at all. Combat is serviceable but relatively bland and the higher difficulty adds little to change that. I am still going through the same motions and using the same abilities all the time. Its not like a challenge makes me try completely different tactics or anything, since the systems just don't support diverse approaches. So the only difference is that I progress much more slowly and very often I have to stop halfway through a dungeon to return at a later date. If you have to do that several times, it can get annoying and also simply confusing in such a large game world (wait, have I already been there?).
Are you sure the system doesn't support diverse approaches? In my recent Avernum 1 playthrough (not Exile, and not A:EFTP, the one in between) on Torment difficulty, I spammed high level summons through every single lategame fight, and one of my characters was fairly useless in fights and just used wands because he had all the utility skills. Therefore if YOU haven't been summon-spamming, the game does support multiple approaches. Of course you do absolutely need mass haste, mass heal, and some beefcake with a sword, but a lot of my damage was coming from summons. I could probably do a playthrough where I had two or three mages instead of one, or focused on fireblast/lightning instead of summons.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The whole one go dungeons feel like some arcade shit made for mobiles and out of laziness. As if there is a endless supply of evil bandits waiting to be put at the exact same place as the one they died,lol. Also "trash" mobs were core feature of his older games and people clearly liked it. The main feature of his games was exploring a big world,finding some trash mob in it just felt logical and natural. Here we have a retarded crippled swastika land that could be explored around 10-15 hours. Fuck that was the time that it took me to map the honeycombs,let alone finish the game. It is a true decline,i doubt that i will care for any of his upcoming games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
rash combat was one of the other games charm. You wanted all the combat you could get so you could level up and beat the shit out of side bosses and shit.
at least i really fucking hate it in geneforge 5 and 6 because most mobs have like 1500+ HP and there are tons of them in 1 map.
Ohhh i loved them :), the 5th game was great challenge for a solo playtrough,you had to use all the skillz you have to survive!

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you sure the system doesn't support diverse approaches? In my recent Avernum 1 playthrough (not Exile, and not A:EFTP, the one in between) on Torment difficulty, I spammed high level summons through every single lategame fight, and one of my characters was fairly useless in fights and just used wands because he had all the utility skills. Therefore if YOU haven't been summon-spamming, the game does support multiple approaches. Of course you do absolutely need mass haste, mass heal, and some beefcake with a sword, but a lot of my damage was coming from summons. I could probably do a playthrough where I had two or three mages instead of one, or focused on fireblast/lightning instead of summons.

Sure you can focus on different builds but you still go through the same motions every battle, its not like you have to situationally think about what precisely you are going to do cause the systems not deep enough for that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Have you tried disabling/setting to minimum everything in the preferences menu? In his old games you could disable sounds to make everything much faster because he's never learnt to code it to be separate from the game flow, and reportedly now there's some graphics quality slider too (maybe it disables some animations).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom