Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Quillon

Arcane
Worst part about this game are the dumbasses heralding this as a proper RPG, the future if dark if Greedfall is the new standard.

Codex loves mediocre shit from sub par devs despite all its obvious in-yo-face universal flaws, and loves to shit on prestigious shit from known devs over arbitrary/subjective details. Shieeeeeet.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I love people constantly shouting at others "this game is shit, how dare you playing it and like it. You should player better games like (insert games comes out in the past few years or decades)".

Or maybe you know, we are playing this game because it's new and we've played all those older games already. It's not like single player RPGs have comes out so often that we will never be keeping up with them.
I see so many other places people saying : "I want to like GreedFall. But Skyrim ruined RPGs for me forever. Skyrim is so good etc. etc." Bunch of fucking retards if you ask me.

I like GreedFall a lot. And while far from perfect I am enjoying it just as I enjoyed The Technomancer.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Hmm, played around 20 hours and the bridge alliance barely has any quest related to them. Did I miss something?

Also
You send two messengers to save the other two cities' leader, yet you get no reputation gain from it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmm, played around 20 hours and the bridge alliance barely has any quest related to them. Did I miss something?
You have to go and talk to the governor without the priest companion. There is a pretty interesting quest that i finished with flipping the kebab and loosing 10 reputation with the :). Do hope to get to kill him!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Operencia is a more polished turd
fixed for ya
But not polish-ed as your mum! :lol:
Joke is on you - my mother is dead.
So is mine,it is not a surprising thing since we are oldish dudes,what is your point?

Did anyone managed to unlock the last camp in Cwenvar? The one up north-west behind a road slide/block.

Also the fuck is the point of those embassies in your city,i never managed to enter them.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly not every action game needs over the top-ness like what you show.

Dark Souls while has incredibly basic mechanic and animation is a good action game, at least the first time you play it. Sekiro for most part is also like Dark Souls combat animation wise.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
  • Lack of player choice, more frustrating because there are plenty of instances that could've had it but didn't for whatever reason.

Wait, so was the troon right and you really can't go full destroy-all-colonialists/destroy-all-savages?

Worst part about this game are the dumbasses heralding this as a proper RPG, the future if dark if Greedfall is the new standard.

That's just Gothic/ELEX people. And from how you and Felipe describe it, this follows the PB formula of "lots of choices in the beginning followed by a railroading end" even if it doesn't follow traditional PB world design (though apparently it's like Risen 2?). Germans and Germans-adjacent, what can you do?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't say it's anything like Elex or Gothic, since those games actually have some sandbox to them. This is more like a BioWare game but with Spiders own flavor. Playing through it felt more like an adventure romp than a RPG, just like their other games.

frajaq

Erudite
Finished the game at level 32, game starts out good but reeeeeeeally drags out near the end. This game really is a love letter (?) to Bioware's Dragon Age series, although they missed a fair bit about why people liked these games at all (where is the party banter?). But it's alright, it's charming enough in an interesting setting (I imagine this game looks beautiful in higher settings but I'm a poorfag)

Sure wish they had more monster variety BUT have to admit the special boss monsters do look very cool, including the final boss (even though the fight is easy). The armor sets and weapons also look very well-done.

Some quests were very good (multiple solutions, use for non-combat skills, disguises, etc), some were very crap (specially going near the end that were only combat-focused)

Ending slides were also very...binary and simple... Fallout 2 this aint!

I would rate this a solid 7/10, I hope the game sells enough that the devs can expand their team a little because they clearly have talent, just need more people to really refine their games

jf8350143

Liturgist
There are quite a few cool looking armours and hats in the game, and half of them are white, aka the ones you will never wear because their stats are shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wait, so was the troon right and you really can't go full destroy-all-colonialists/destroy-all-savages?
She was wrong even for someone who only played 10 hours. Like, when she mentions the inquisitor:

Greedfall often pays lip service to the hypocrisies of its various factions—by what right does that inquisitor have to call anyone a barbarian, as he gleefully kills any native that fails to convert to his religion?—but in my first 10 hours of playing, I’ve yet to see these moments of awareness coalesce into anything actionable. (I could butt heads with said racist church official and state my disbelief in his god, but I couldn’t intercede as he choked a “sinner” to death.)

Yeah, he kills a native in a cutscene and you can't stop him, but then you can tell him you renounce his god, attack him, raid & expose the inquisition's "concentration camps", kill him & get the whole inquisition disbanded.

IedjZFK.png

She downplays this to "butt heads", what more she realistically wants in the early hours of an RPG? Does she wants Gothic 3 or Daggerfall, where you just walk into a palace and kill everyone? Might as well complain that Witcher 3 is pro-war because Geralt is a tool that works for the emperor of Nilfgaard instead of killing him at the start of the game to stop the war.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I killed the Spanish Inquisition to get into Siora's pants.
She was wrong even for someone who only played 10 hours. Like, when she mentions the inquisitor:

Greedfall often pays lip service to the hypocrisies of its various factions—by what right does that inquisitor have to call anyone a barbarian, as he gleefully kills any native that fails to convert to his religion?—but in my first 10 hours of playing, I’ve yet to see these moments of awareness coalesce into anything actionable. (I could butt heads with said racist church official and state my disbelief in his god, but I couldn’t intercede as he choked a “sinner” to death.)

Yeah, he kills a native in a cutscene and you can't stop him, but then you can tell him you renounce his god, attack him, raid & expose the inquisition's "concentration camps", kill him & get the whole inquisition disbanded.

IedjZFK.png

She downplays this to "butt heads", what more she realistically wants in the early hours of an RPG? Does she wants Gothic 3 or Daggerfall, where you just walk into a palace and kill everyone? Might as well complain that Witcher 3 is pro-war because Geralt is a tool that works for the emperor of Nilfgaard instead of killing him at the start of the game to stop the war.
Reviewers don't play games really. And most likely the reviewer only played a view hours and wrote the review.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i just finished it,and here are my thoughts.

In short the game is a good AA action RPG with some expected flaws. Would recommend for spider fans and story fags.

In longer....well lets begin with mechanics and the level design. Mechanically speaking the game is pretty solid,an evolution of spider's own type of game focused on dodging and counter attacking. The combat is solid with no invincibility frames and responding attacks,there is a decent variety of enemies tho the most annoying(dogs that roll toward you) are also the most used by the main campaign. There is also three types of bosses excluding the last one,they do offer pretty interesting challenge early on up to the mid game,but later on they are pretty easy. Human enemies are maybe the easiest and the hardest one at the same time. Most of the time you wipe the floor with them,but then end up facing a strong group that kills all the companions in a few hits and end up chasing you around,they don't wait you to finish them one by one and attack as a group,pretty incline. The duels must be the best part,it is a game of dodging,parrying and attacking. The biggest problem if the combat is that you have far too big window to parry and you being able to ignores most attack that way. Do hope that they make it scale with the difficulty level. With increase of difficulty level the parry window should be decreasing.
Armour...i almost forgot. Everything have some,light weapons are shit at removing it unless upgraded,heavies are better at doing it. The more armour something have,the less damage takes,with decrees of it the more damage it is taken from hits. Also magic ignores it.
The difficulty is pretty good in the game,would recommend starting on normal and ramming it up to extreme as the game progress. The difficulty level affects the stats of both the enemy and your companions,but it doesn't affect your own damage and armour. Another thing that affect is the AI and the skills that it uses,high difficulty enemy are more aggressive and attack as a pack,while using some ability that they don't on normal. On normal you could frequently see enemies or companions spacing out in mid combat,waiting to be attacked,on higher difficulty they don't. So in the end guys,just ram up the difficulty for more fun!

Level design is......good and very bad at the same time. The environments and the cities look great and feel logical and real in way,when it comes down to interiors there is a lot of reused assets,but i don't see it as a problem since a lot of other rpgs use that tactic to save money. We have one set for houses,one for government building and one for the coin guard/tavern building oh and one for tribal huts. Still not a big deal for me,but it is up to you. The bad part of the level design is how much of pointless travelling there is. You spend a lot of time running around,wasting time. The fast travel points/camps are daftly put,either far away from important building,or in pointless places that you will never travel to. The main building like the government and the coin guard do miss such points and thus forcing you to run there every time you have a quest to progress,it is simply retarded! I also noticed that many times there is artificial obstacle that forces you to go around it,thus increasing the travel time. The whole thing could be purposeful,to increase the play time....sad.

The levelling system on other hand is pretty good. We have six skill paths, light weapons,heavy weapons,two magical ones,bombs and fire arms. From what i have seen there is no op rout,it just depends on the players play style. You would be able to fuck your enemies as long as you get used to the chosen style. I played with light/heavy weapons and magic,i did managed to max three and a half paths,i assume that you will be able to max four if you get max level. Light and heavy weapons also unlock the ability to use a two handed light/heavy weapons,they are slower but do more damage. As a whole pretty good skill tree.
Then there is the attributes and the talents. The attributes are the main thing that holds you back from equipping the best shit and killing everything. They are six attributes,strength that effects heavy weapon damage,agility that affects light weapons,endurance that affects the armour you could use and health,accuracy affecting firearms and tow magical attributes that affect the magical damage,the ring you could equip and the mana points. You get points to invest around every 3-4 levels,i managed to get 13 and i assume that you could get 15. Thus maxing three of the six attributes. Seeing how Endurance is a must,you are left with only one other attribute to max and that is what sets you on your path of mastery. You may have 4 skill trees maxed,but seeing no difference because you can't equip better weapons because you don't have the needed attribute. When it come down to talents,you still get a point every 3-4 levels. But here you could mitigated its scarcity with equipment or companion's bonus. Thus optimal way is to one point in everything,prioritizing vigour and lockpicking,then adding more for convenience. There are six talents,charisma that makes your dialogue a lot easier and makes your companion better at fighting...generaly not very useful,then we have vigour that lets you traverse blocked paths and access more areas,crafting...useless there are people that do the job for small amount of useless money,science..don't need more than one point in to open some closed places,lockpicking is good for loot and unique items and insight finally is pretty good skill it lets you see and get more loot and have an effect in dialogue. Ass a whole the levelling system is pretty solid and good.

Exploration is....meh,there is some pretty things to see and some unique items to find,but generally it is pointless. You may get some decent boss fight or page for the worst quest in the game and that it is. Don't really bother,see the locations of interesting items and enemy on the internet,also most of the side quests make you explore the level so it is pretty redundant to go on your own.

Now the story and the characters,the best part of the game really. The setting is an unique take on cliche idea of taking a time period and adding magic. You are pretty much colonising Ireland,if you feel like killing irish or becoming one,this is the game for you. There are five factions excluding your own,most of them are pretty dislikable at the beginning and end up good or even more dislikable by the end. They all have their interesting parts and a quest line that you end up doing. That sound pretty generic,but it is well written and the side quests are very interesting,also interwoven in to each other,the same way the companions and the main quest are. Some quests my get another option if you have X companion or had finished X side quests. It is pretty well done and i must say that i haven't seen it in another game. There is also five companions,each representing their own faction. They are all pretty interesting....except africa,which is just boring. They are well written with their own problems and views,my favourite ones are the priest dude and the savage wifu.
The main story is about fallowing the main character(not playing really) and his cousin on quest to Ireland to find a cure for a HIV. You play as a diplomat that mainly goes around and talk with people,eventually beating the shit out of people when the checks fail. The good things is that it is well written and interesting,making you want to continue and get the ending of the story. The game in that aspect feels more of a book,since you don't get much of a choice on how the main character to react or do. I personally don't mind it,because it was quite some time since i played narratively focused rpg with a developed character. But most purist will not be very found of it. The main character it self is competently written,but sadly by a woman. In many cases his actions and worlds felt like something a woman will do....maybe it will be better if played with woman character tho. He did lacked any masculinity and felt strange at times,mainly during time where he should be angry and beat the shit of X faggot,but ends up whining. Thank god that this happens only a few times and could be ignored.
In the end it is a good story with good characters and competent writing. Side quests are where the game shines in my opinion,it have been a long time since i was surprised at where quest ended up going. It is a good choice for storyfags like me.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sooo i just finished it,and here are my thoughts.

In short the game is a good AA action RPG with some expected flaws. Would recommend for spider fans and story fags.

In longer....well lets begin with mechanics and the level design. Mechanically speaking the game is pretty solid,an evolution of spider's own type of game focused on dodging and counter attacking. The combat is solid with no invincibility frames and responding attacks,there is a decent variety of enemies tho the most annoying(dogs that roll toward you) are also the most used by the main campaign. There is also three types of bosses excluding the last one,they do offer pretty interesting challenge early on up to the mid game,but later on they are pretty easy. Human enemies are maybe the easiest and the hardest one at the same time. Most of the time you wipe the floor with them,but then end up facing a strong group that kills all the companions in a few hits and end up chasing you around,they don't wait you to finish them one by one and attack as a group,pretty incline. The duels must be the best part,it is a game of dodging,parrying and attacking. The biggest problem if the combat is that you have far too big window to parry and you being able to ignores most attack that way. Do hope that they make it scale with the difficulty level. With increase of difficulty level the parry window should be decreasing.
Armour...i almost forgot. Everything have some,light weapons are shit at removing it unless upgraded,heavies are better at doing it. The more armour something have,the less damage takes,with decrees of it the more damage it is taken from hits. Also magic ignores it.
The difficulty is pretty good in the game,would recommend starting on normal and ramming it up to extreme as the game progress. The difficulty level affects the stats of both the enemy and your companions,but it doesn't affect your own damage and armour. Another thing that affect is the AI and the skills that it uses,high difficulty enemy are more aggressive and attack as a pack,while using some ability that they don't on normal. On normal you could frequently see enemies or companions spacing out in mid combat,waiting to be attacked,on higher difficulty they don't. So in the end guys,just ram up the difficulty for more fun!

Level design is......good and very bad at the same time. The environments and the cities look great and feel logical and real in way,when it comes down to interiors there is a lot of reused assets,but i don't see it as a problem since a lot of other rpgs use that tactic to save money. We have one set for houses,one for government building and one for the coin guard/tavern building oh and one for tribal huts. Still not a big deal for me,but it is up to you. The bad part of the level design is how much of pointless travelling there is. You spend a lot of time running around,wasting time. The fast travel points/camps are daftly put,either far away from important building,or in pointless places that you will never travel to. The main building like the government and the coin guard do miss such points and thus forcing you to run there every time you have a quest to progress,it is simply retarded! I also noticed that many times there is artificial obstacle that forces you to go around it,thus increasing the travel time. The whole thing could be purposeful,to increase the play time....sad.

The levelling system on other hand is pretty good. We have six skill paths, light weapons,heavy weapons,two magical ones,bombs and fire arms. From what i have seen there is no op rout,it just depends on the players play style. You would be able to fuck your enemies as long as you get used to the chosen style. I played with light/heavy weapons and magic,i did managed to max three and a half paths,i assume that you will be able to max four if you get max level. Light and heavy weapons also unlock the ability to use a two handed light/heavy weapons,they are slower but do more damage. As a whole pretty good skill tree.
Then there is the attributes and the talents. The attributes are the main thing that holds you back from equipping the best shit and killing everything. They are six attributes,strength that effects heavy weapon damage,agility that affects light weapons,endurance that affects the armour you could use and health,accuracy affecting firearms and tow magical attributes that affect the magical damage,the ring you could equip and the mana points. You get points to invest around every 3-4 levels,i managed to get 13 and i assume that you could get 15. Thus maxing three of the six attributes. Seeing how Endurance is a must,you are left with only one other attribute to max and that is what sets you on your path of mastery. You may have 4 skill trees maxed,but seeing no difference because you can't equip better weapons because you don't have the needed attribute. When it come down to talents,you still get a point every 3-4 levels. But here you could mitigated its scarcity with equipment or companion's bonus. Thus optimal way is to one point in everything,prioritizing vigour and lockpicking,then adding more for convenience. There are six talents,charisma that makes your dialogue a lot easier and makes your companion better at fighting...generaly not very useful,then we have vigour that lets you traverse blocked paths and access more areas,crafting...useless there are people that do the job for small amount of useless money,science..don't need more than one point in to open some closed places,lockpicking is good for loot and unique items and insight finally is pretty good skill it lets you see and get more loot and have an effect in dialogue. Ass a whole the levelling system is pretty solid and good.

Exploration is....meh,there is some pretty things to see and some unique items to find,but generally it is pointless. You may get some decent boss fight or page for the worst quest in the game and that it is. Don't really bother,see the locations of interesting items and enemy on the internet,also most of the side quests make you explore the level so it is pretty redundant to go on your own.

Now the story and the characters,the best part of the game really. The setting is an unique take on cliche idea of taking a time period and adding magic. You are pretty much colonising Ireland,if you feel like killing irish or becoming one,this is the game for you. There are five factions excluding your own,most of them are pretty dislikable at the beginning and end up good or even more dislikable by the end. They all have their interesting parts and a quest line that you end up doing. That sound pretty generic,but it is well written and the side quests are very interesting,also interwoven in to each other,the same way the companions and the main quest are. Some quests my get another option if you have X companion or had finished X side quests. It is pretty well done and i must say that i haven't seen it in another game. There is also five companions,each representing their own faction. They are all pretty interesting....except africa,which is just boring. They are well written with their own problems and views,my favourite ones are the priest dude and the savage wifu.
The main story is about fallowing the main character(not playing really) and his cousin on quest to Ireland to find a cure for a HIV. You play as a diplomat that mainly goes around and talk with people,eventually beating the shit out of people when the checks fail. The good things is that it is well written and interesting,making you want to continue and get the ending of the story. The game in that aspect feels more of a book,since you don't get much of a choice on how the main character to react or do. I personally don't mind it,because it was quite some time since i played narratively focused rpg with a developed character. But most purist will not be very found of it. The main character it self is competently written,but sadly by a woman. In many cases his actions and worlds felt like something a woman will do....maybe it will be better if played with woman character tho. He did lacked any masculinity and felt strange at times,mainly during time where he should be angry and beat the shit of X faggot,but ends up whining. Thank god that this happens only a few times and could be ignored.
In the end it is a good story with good characters and competent writing. Side quests are where the game shines in my opinion,it have been a long time since i was surprised at where quest ended up going. It is a good choice for storyfags like me.
:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom