Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"first-person melee combat"

Sawyer: :rage:

Neerasrc

Learned
The Obsidian Skyrim clone is real!

It may be that they still haven't decided about the game engine. CryEngine really thought-provoking. Kingdom come (Cryengine), is mechanically very similar to Tes:4 oblivion. (Not just design) They're definitely trying something. (The Area Designer job posting also has these details.) I don't understand what the relevance of the Source game engine is. Platform? Portal game? interesting development.

Edit: Maybe ToEE ( It basically uses source game engine.)

Edit2: Summary: They are trying to find a mechanically advanced, visually good looking game engine.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
They're pretty clearly using the Unreal engine for their next big thing: https://i.imgur.com/7wC6vsY.png

This is normal. Outer Worlds is using ue4. What about non-violent play? Probably he will also use the unreal engine. I think these job postings are something else. Probably the target tes4: Oblivion clone -)

Outer Worlds doesn't need any more programmers. Those jobs are for other projects.

Currently they are working with Unreal Engine 4 and Unity. UE4 for anything more mainstream and bigger projects and Unity for the smaller projects. If you look at the programmers they've been looking for ever since the purchase, it has always been UE4 or Unity. Experience for animators, artists etc. can be from similar engines (such as CryEngine or Source) because of the mechanics involved and similarity on how the games work on those engines. If you are designing combat, experience from an engine that does 1st person games is something that you wiil look for from a candidate, yet you don't want to fixate on Unreal Engine alone because most of the work will be done using other tools (in the combat designer case Maya, 3ds Max and XSI).

Neerasrc

Learned
They're pretty clearly using the Unreal engine for their next big thing: https://i.imgur.com/7wC6vsY.png

This is normal. Outer Worlds is using ue4. What about non-violent play? Probably he will also use the unreal engine. I think these job postings are something else. Probably the target tes4: Oblivion clone -)

Outer Worlds doesn't need any more programmers. Those jobs are for other projects.

Currently they are working with Unreal Engine 4 and Unity. UE4 for anything more mainstream and bigger projects and Unity for the smaller projects. If you look at the programmers they've been looking for ever since the purchase, it has always been UE4 or Unity. Experience for animators, artists etc. can be from similar engines (such as CryEngine or Source) because of the mechanics involved and similarity on how the games work on those engines. If you are designing combat, experience from an engine that does 1st person games is something that you wiil look for from a candidate, yet you don't want to fixate on Unreal Engine alone because most of the work will be done using other tools (in the combat designer case Maya, 3ds Max and XSI).

I guess I just couldn't tell you exactly what I meant. ue4 is not an engine that is sufficient for large projects. Especially when it comes to mechanical developments. (You can understand from the outer world.) If MS bought you and you have a great RPG plan, there are two possibilities. Concentrate on the mechanics of the external worlds and create a wider world or look at alternative game engines. If you have reached the limits of the ue4, you have to look for alternatives. The Source game engine can do this, also ue4 does not visually reflect black completely. You always see a redhead. Unity game engine is better if your goal is to create a dark world but both game engines may take years of mechanical development. Previously there was a project like this. (or a similar project)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0naWlTE4ubBZmNZQ2FIVEg0Z0E/view?pli=1

If the goal is to revive this project and overcome the ue4 constraints (they used this game engine in ToEE before), they might be trying something different. CRYEngine is not an ordinary engine. A proven game engine for creating big worlds. They may want a different game engine experience in the job posting, (sample:gamebyro) or they specifically wrote it. I'm pointing this out.

Bohr

Arcane
The Source game engine can do this, also ue4 does not visually reflect black completely. You always see a redhead. Unity game engine is better if your goal is to create a dark world

Disagree, I use UE4 to play back my Criterion blu-ray collection on my reference OLED master monitor, and I can assure you the blacks are superbly inky yet the grading remains accurate with no trace of black crush.

Neerasrc

Learned
The Source game engine can do this, also ue4 does not visually reflect black completely. You always see a redhead. Unity game engine is better if your goal is to create a dark world

Disagree, I use UE4 to play back my Criterion blu-ray collection on my reference OLED master monitor, and I can assure you the blacks are superbly inky yet the grading remains accurate with no trace of black crush.

Irrelevant:
You can not understand from a modern screen like OLED. Probably every game will come black enough for you. Because the quality of the monitor you are looking at prevents this kind of deterioration. ue4 is very good in terms of color revelations, but it reflects much light when it comes to dark environments. The Unity game engine is more balanced in this regard. Hollow knight game, for example, is a good example. You won't find a game like hollow knight in ue4, but you'll usually see more vibrant, more colorful games. The source game engine is better than both, as you can see from ToEE. You can actually think of it as the Diablo 2 game engine and the Diablo 3 game engine. d2 was created for a gothic world and d3 is for a colorful world. The bard's tale 4 is a nice example of this. (Old unity, new ue4)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Are you seriously looking at games and infer from them how engines deal with colors?

Prime Junta

Irrelevant:
You can not understand from a modern screen like OLED. Probably every game will come black enough for you. Because the quality of the monitor you are looking at prevents this kind of deterioration. ue4 is very good in terms of color revelations, but it reflects much light when it comes to dark environments. The Unity game engine is more balanced in this regard. Hollow knight game, for example, is a good example. You won't find a game like hollow knight in ue4, but you'll usually see more vibrant, more colorful games. The source game engine is better than both, as you can see from ToEE. You can actually think of it as the Diablo 2 game engine and the Diablo 3 game engine. d2 was created for a gothic world and d3 is for a colorful world. The bard's tale 4 is a nice example of this. (Old unity, new ue4)

giphy.gif

Neerasrc

Learned

Irrelevant:

giphy.gif

The subject has gone to ridiculous places. :)

Which do you think is darker?

ue4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWd9jMvJfuM

Red engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LembwKDo1Dk

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Artist" singular which means this really could be the St. George project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom