Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Aeolwyn's Legacy is a Might & Magic VI-like blobber by New World Computing veteran Tim Lang

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good God, that music! The game looks one of those early 3d MMOs that vanishes long before it ever makes alpha, but that music.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Tried the demo, picked up a quest, went into the nearest shop (which required a load time for some reason...) then loaded back out into town and fell through the world.

Yea. Good demo.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can forgive poor graphics, as that cost a lot, but I can't forgive bad taste... the studio's name, the game's title and everything in that video would looks cringy as fuck. Is like he found it in a shitty Geocities page from 1998.

I feel like I understand M&M IX much more now.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well the biggest problem is that he was the lead designer of MM9 and apparently was not particularly large or in charge with 6, 7, or 8. At least he realizes that MM9 sucked though. He's not trying to make a sequel-in-spirit to MM9. Apparently he has no budget either. So he needs a successful kickstarter to get artists and I am not even clear on whether he is a programmer. I would love to see a sequel-in-spirit to MM6/7/8 with better graphics, but that may be difficult for a lone wolf developer without an artist. If he can find some artists though and we have the patience to wait like 10 years...well you never know.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Brrapp Games? Really?

uXjQ21n.png

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Jesus, that frame rate.

Couldn't even be arsed to optimize the trailer, huh? That truly shows one's faith in his project.

Darkzone

Arcane
It does look kind of raw...
And by raw i do not mean not the kind of raw like a raw dimant, but rather that kind of raw like a maggot infested cow carcass.
That things needs at least 10k manhours to make it attractive.

Zeriel

Arcane
brrrrrap games

...How is this real?

Seems to be in early stages. I'm sure the graphics and menus get improved. Doesn't look the shoddy if you compared it to the kind of animytions the sprites of yore had. Unfortunately his late track record isn't too encouraging...

Planned improvements to the M&M series seems to be some dialogue trees and c&c. Curious how much there will be. But the main question for me would be how gets the old (and fun) formula of the M&M 6-8 series improved? Some non-combat social skills? Good trap disarming? Even stealth? Thievery? Things to do in taverns? Talking to npcs with actual dialogue? What's with Arcomage/Minigames?

If these things get improved without failing in the other things that made these M&M games good I'm really looking forward to it.

Honestly the problem with recreating 6-7 games is harder than it seems. A lot of what made 6 and 7 charming was not the structure of the game (though the skill system is a must to have similarly good gameplay), but the production values NWC had at the time. That's never coming back, and certainly you're not going to get animated, almost-video scenes from random indies.

I think M&M XL was about the best you are going to get with a unity asset-swap style game, but even then they were leaning on the massive catalogue of assets that Ubisoft had available from their Might & Magic strategy games. Going full real-time, non-grid-based is just not going to work without an AAA or at least AA budget.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Hah, even the website listed in the trailer's description on Youtube doesn't work. What an absolute madman.

Edit: the actual working website is gold too. A sampling:

Brrapp's first game, Astro Fighter Alpha, released in 2009 has garnered over 100,000 downloads between all of the platforms it's been released on (iOS, Google Play, Amazon App Store, OUYA, and many others). It's simple accelerometer based gameplay was hailed by one reviewer as "Best accelerometer-based shoter's I've pages [sic] so far", while another user said, "solid game." Tim's own mother raved about the game, saying, "This game makes me carsick."
Since then Brrapp Games went on to release SqueezeShapes! for Android, a quirky puzzle game published by TapJoy. It's users were just as kind saying, "I'm afraid of Mona Lisa." and, "Cool. Weird but good to pass the time."

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
MMXL? Can i get fries with that? I guess The Erathian Liberation Party's v1.3 patch doesn't help MMIX much? And why the hell the drop to 4 party members after xeen? It's amost EOB-like in that regard.

MMI - party of 6 adventurers
MMII - party of 6 characters
MMIII - party of 6 adventurers + 2 NPCs
XEEN (4-5) - party of 6 characters
MMVI - 4 character party
MMVII - 4 character party
MMVIII - 5 character party
MMIX - 4 character party
MMXL - 4 character party
Legends? I have no friggin idea until i youtube it.

Aeolwyn’s Legacy - 4 character party.

Is that correct? Difference between NPCS? Are there non-com npcs who just do some skill bs?

I guess 6 man is too much for modern days or would unbalance some of the games. Maybe too hard to manage a group that large?

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, as i said in the video:

This better be the breakthrough we need, Timmy mah Boi, since Ubisoft fucked everything up. Also we will need like AL 1-3 AND the option to merge all 3 games if we have them installed at the same time to make a 4th, bigger game, AKA World of Aeolwyn. hint hint Also, cant you buy New World Computing name for like 2 bucks from the hobo that owns it nowadays? Is there someone even owning it?

Electryon

Savant
Might & Might IX was not bad because of some core design flaw. It's the exact same gameplay loop as VI-VIII. The problem was the game was rushed out the door in what can only be described as a pre-alpha build for release. With the hindsight of a couple decades of patches, it's no more a downgrade than VII was in relation to VI, or VIII was in relation to VII. And it's still one of only games (along with it's predecessors) that lets you actually become a Lich. Point being, the problem with MM9 is the same problem that plagued any number of games that came out in that time-period, which is that it simply wasn't finished when it was pushed out the door by a greedy publisher.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
MMXL? Can i get fries with that? I guess The Erathian Liberation Party's v1.3 patch doesn't help MMIX much? And why the hell the drop to 4 party members after xeen? It's amost EOB-like in that regard.

MMI - party of 6 adventurers
MMII - party of 6 characters
MMIII - party of 6 adventurers + 2 NPCs
XEEN (4-5) - party of 6 characters
MMVI - 4 character party
MMVII - 4 character party
MMVIII - 5 character party
MMIX - 4 character party
MMXL - 4 character party
Legends? I have no friggin idea until i youtube it.

Aeolwyn’s Legacy - 4 character party.

Is that correct? Difference between NPCS? Are there non-com npcs who just do some skill bs?

I guess 6 man is too much for modern days or would unbalance some of the games. Maybe too hard to manage a group that large?

Maybe his thinking is, a party of 8 took Cleve about 20 years, so a party of 4 will take only 10?
Without concern for variables like sheer Neanderthal will & focus to actually raise a
finished game from the altar of vapourware, of course.

mindfields

Learned
Looks awful. Also it has that terrible real-time combat that M&M 6+ had where the game plays less like a CRPG and more like 4-headed FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom