Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Wyatt's AACWII LP (CSA)

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Haven't done a LP or AAR in a long time, plus I'll probably be half-sauced when playing, so bare with me.

Gonna do a LP of AGEOD's Civil War II as the CSA. Wish me luck.

Options are basic - attrition/supply/recruitment/FOW/foreign intervention, etc are all gonna be normal/historical. AI will be set to normal aggression, as aggressive AI tends to spaz out, and I need to stick with somewhat historical movements.

Strategy - pretty simple. Build as much as possible in the east, as by late '63 the Union will be sending massive waves of blue at Richmond. Out west it will flexible. I'll do my best to hold onto Tennessee and far west states. Kentucky will be in play, AI usually triggers the Kentucky intervention option which will open it up sometime in late '61 or '62.

I'll just post my first few moves in the first round. Grab some money. Taxes and war bonds will help get dough while keeping down inflation, but I'll be in big need of cash, so the greenbacks option will have to be used often so I can have the funds to build my armies and... well, I won't be doing much naval building. Ain't worth it. I will build some blockade runners, though. Industry options won't kick in for a few turns, but I'll be building... far far down south where they'll be away from Yankee raiders.

Let's let the South get some happy pills and rise again

Money makes the world go 'round

It begins. 3 Cheers for South Carolina!

Leader placement will be Lee/Jackson in the east, AS and Joe Johnston in the west, and Watie/Holmes/etc in far west. Indians will be play, but the cost of pushing units into the field might not be worth it. Arizona/New Mexico will be attempted, but mainly for keeping Union moves into Texas stalled.

That's about it for the setup. I'll be trying to go turn by turn, but this is a long campaign with many turns involved. Lots of moving parts.

So now we try this 'constitutional experiment' by pressing the next turn button. Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
All the pics are super small, is it normal?

Clickables to save room. I have no idea how many pics I'll be posting, but I'll try to keep it to the parts that matter. I'll post overall map view and strategy for 1861 tomorrow.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
If I can give you an advice, it is to put the screenshoot full size so people don't need to click on them (because clearly most of us won't). If you want to save space, use the
tag instead so people don't have to open a new window each time.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
If I can give you an advice, it is to put the screenshoot full size so people don't need to click on them (because clearly most of us won't). If you want to save space, use the
tag instead so people don't have to open a new window each time.

Will do.

I forgot to mention one game function that's interesting in CWII and will become very important to use, especially as the cash/resource strapped South.

The Regional Decision Panel
AACWII-decisionpanel.jpg

There are many functions of the panel, and the cash/resource starved South will need to use it often. The ones I'll be using the most will be the Runner (War Supply), draft (recruits), and cotton exports (cash). I will also use the defensive works option, but at the beginning of the war I'll get a free one for Richmond.

The decision options come at the cost of either WS/cash/or loyalty, but I'll need their benefits. Regional Decisions are in play throughout the year, and if I remember right, you get new cards to use at the start of each year of the war.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 2 -
Treasury options pulled in around 2k in cash. Runner cards are used for Gulf region.

And Fort Sumter was a little more bloody than the historic battle, which was actually bloodless except for a disaster involving a malfunctioning cannon at the surrender ceremony.
AACWII-1861-Sumterfalls.jpg

The Commonwealth of Virginia drops a headline for the papers. Itchy seats (and trigger fingers) in D.C.
AACWII-1861-Virginia.jpg

Key early move - move the militia to take Norfolk while it sleeps. Big naval asset for the Confederacy.
AACWII-1861-Norfolk.jpg

That's about it for turn 2. Sumter is ours, albeit at quite a butcher's bill. Virginia joins the CSA, and the next few turns should have the rest of the South following suit. Things will probably go a bit slow until Lincoln urges the Union forces in northern Virginia to move to take Richmond. I'll be sending everything I've got up to the central/western portions of Virginia to keep the Union from ending the war early for me. Jackson/Johnston should be activating in the new few turns, then things will get interesting.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 3 -
Rather unexpected event in Texas (as far as the game goes). Sam Houston's Union force has taken Dallas. Reaction forces in the Houston area have been created and are ready to respond. For now Dallas is blue.

You made the wrong choice, Sam.
AACWII-1861-Sam-Houston.jpg

Big feather in my cap. The South really needs Norfolk, and Norfolk is now ours. Admiral Buchanan is reporting for duty and his fleet is now under construction.
AACWII-1861-Norfolkfallen.jpg

Main eastern armies are now forming. Johnston and Jackson are preparing their men in the Valley, and will be ready soon. Concentration of force will be necessary, though I'll need to keep what I can in the Valley to protect our bread basket.
AACWII-1861armiesformed.jpg

Sent some runners into the Gulf to start blockade runs. Generals are now reporting for duty in Richmond. Will send Bushrod Johnson and a few others out west to begin leading units down the road. Recruited two brigades in Richmond. WS is short though, so I'll have to wait a few more turns to begin artillery or ship building. S. Carolina force that took Sumter is now on trains heading for the border. Will have to wait until N. Carolina secedes before they can finish disembarking at Richmond.

The Washington War Dept had ordered Jackson to recruit a force of three regiments. Well... he has done so.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 4 -
Yanks are already heading towards Winchester to contest the Valley. My Shenandoah force is there, but it's still under-strength and won't be ready for a couple more turns.

Odd AI quirk. Even though they are presenting an aggressive stance, for some reason the AI has decided to stack about 9 leaders with Wallace with only one brigade. But even being a single unit, its current combat rating is sufficient enough to be stronger than my entire still-forming Valley force. Hopefully the Winchester militia can hold out until my other troops are ready.
AACWII-1861-Valley1.jpg

Texas is getting active. Sam Houston's Union cavalry are now moving to take other surrounding towns and destroy rail lines. I'm sending Shelby from Arkansas to meet up with the Texas reaction force. They'll have to act as a stop-gap measure to keep other undefended Texas towns from falling.

Bought a few replacement chits which will help me get some more troops up to strength, but at a cost of all the few recruits available. First national draft options will be available in the summer months, but for now I'm scraping the bottom of the not-even-built-yet barrel.

Georgia brig squadron is also now active, so I'll combine it with the Gulf runner fleet. War Supply returns should be coming in soon. Will need every single one, as building an industrial nation from scratch is difficult, if not impossible.

'General Johnston, I beg to report, the blue bellies are moving towards Winchester! What are our orders?'

General Johnston - 'Our cannon have no wheels, our cavalry few horses, and our infantry little hard tack. And the whiskey is almost gone. We'll sit tight for now until the whiskey arrives. Then we march.'

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Bit of mention on strategy. AGEOD actually does a really good job of handling the scope of the Civil War, as well as the differences between the North and South. I cannot afford to send some uber-Lee up North with an army of 100k men to take Washington. If an attack on Washington appears feasible, I may attempt it. But not likely. If the campaign goes into the late war period, every major city in the South will probably be dealing with sort of Union incursion. I will have to be reactive, use my interior lines to my benefit, and since easy supply is OFF, I'll have to keep Union forces occupied and distracted from their goals. Kentucky will be a fulcrum point. Historically, both sides tried to keep the other out of Kentucky. If Kentucky swings my way, an offensive up the Ohio towards Bowling Green or even Louisville may be possible.

Like in real war, it's impossible to lay down concrete plans and see them 100% to the end. As Field Marshall Moltke once said, 'no plan survives contact with the enemy.' The Union will roll like a snowball downhill, gaining momentum and strength as it turns. I will have to dance and fly, making sure I stay out of the way of the snowball and tear pieces of it away when and where I can.

Foreign intervention by the British or French is possible, but even on EASY, it is very difficult to kick it off. I've won a couple of times as the CSA in the past, but from my experience the Union morale crumbles far sooner than any script triggers foreign involvement. And since I have it set to NORMAL, getting the Brits on my side is going to be nearly impossible. Even the Trent Affair event will only nudge the needle a few point in my direction.

So for now it's pretty simple. Build up my forces, react to Union offensives, and get my industry/rail/shipping going. The decisions I make early on won't have effects until the following year or two, so what I do in 1861 might seem trivial, the results of which could make or break the campaign.

General Robert E Lee - AGEOD for some reason keeps him locked up until early 1862. I guess to coincide with the time he finally took over command from the wounded Gen. Johnston at Seven Pines. Lee's stats are crazy, and he'll be a huge benefit to any army I give him. I've seen some AARs where players sent him out west to command against the likes of Grant/Sherman, but I will be keeping him in the east to counter attacks against Richmond. I'll most likely send the two Johnstons our west to command smaller armies to defend the Tennessee/N. Mississippi area.

Historic units - I'll get several brigades through the course of the war, no charge. They represent the self-funded volunteers that were historically added to rosters. Georgia brigade, Savannah force, and the European brigade to name a few. Several leaders will also make appearances with their own small forces to command, such as Stand Watie's Cherokees, Morgan and his raiders, and Nathan Bedford Forrest. The leaders I'll usually add divisions to and give them some supplies and extra troops to supplement their force. Forrest given a division of cavalry can do wonders.

Army formation - Divisions can be formed in October of 1861, Corps by March of 1862. Hopefully by then I'll actually have enough forces to create corps and the mobility of armies will become more functional. Army command has to be restricted by chain of command. Promotions are possible too, but I'll be doing my best to keep low-rated generals like Bragg from reaching the cat-bird seat as full star generals.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 5 -
As you can see, Mcdowell's Union army is now forming and is nearly twice the combat power of my troops in Manassas. My main options are either move Beauregard back south of the Rappahannock, or send Johnson down to combine the two forces - to replicate the historic event at Bull Run. Another turn or two and I'll have to decide which tactic to use.

The Blue grows faster than the Grey
AACWII-1861-Mcdowellarmy.jpg

Memphis fleet is forming under Admiral Hollins. I have the CSS Manassas and a few more gunboats around New Orleans, but for now the Memphis fleet IS my brown water defense force for the Mississippi river
AACWII-1861-Memphisfleet.jpg

Industry options are now available. I think I'll go for Georgia for now. Not as expensive as the others, and it will be far from the reach of Uncle Sam. This will slowly generate WS for me as time goes on. WS is a big albatross for the South, and every cannon and rail will be vital.
AACWII-1861industry.jpg

The Union's stance in Texas is making me nervous. They've already captured Dallas and two other towns. Shelby is now in command of the reaction force. I'm sending the Texas Rangers off to recapture Tyler while putting Shelby's force on trains for a quick trip up to take back Jefferson.
AACWII-1861-Texassituation.jpg

North Carolina has seceded and the eastern seaboard is now clear for movements.

More cotton exported from Galveston.

Norfolk guns, Richmond reserves, and other new recruits are forming in Richmond to begin the slow process of building the famous Army of Northern Virginia, though I may thin out some of these units in order to bolster Beauregard's force.

St Louis massacre event - Union troops are now mustering to defend Missouri. In response, I now have General Price's command. I could make for a march on St Louis, but the smarter approach would be to keep Price in southern Missouri, build up his forces, and await further order.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 6 -
Mixed bag so far in Texas. Shelby pushed the Yankee cavalry out of Jefferson, but the Rangers are too few to recapture Tyler. I'll leave them there for now to increase region control. I'll give Shelby a short rest, then send him a'huntin.
AACWII-1861-Shelbywins.jpg

Far more serious is the situation in Virginia. Johnston and Beauregard's forces are now ready for action, but McDowell's Union army is poised like an army of drunk Huns, ready to pounce on a local sorority house on Saturday night. I have decided to use geography to my advantage and not leave PGT by himself at Manassas, which is strategically not that important. Johnston and Jackson will stay in the Valley for now, and I'm pulling my WV forces out. It will be a long march through wet muddy paths and mountainous terrain in the heat of the summer, but their stay in WV is pointless and their addition to other armies will prove their value higher than any attempts at keeping WV. Magruder was sent up to Fredricksburg to anchor my right flank and keep the Yanks from making a quick dash south past my lines. Huger is coming up to Richmond and more units are being trained. Currently forces assembling in Richmond totals around 14,000 men.
AACWII-1861eastmap2.jpg

General Lyon and several other Yankee units are spreading out to take Confederate held towns in upper Missouri. I'm not willing to risk Price and his men, which for now is the only force I have out west to counter anything. State militias are mobilizing throughout the country, but for now they're all I get, 'cause there's no more recruits in the pool to use.

Last of the cotton was shipped off. Won't get those to use again until the end of the year harvest.

Slowly building a force at Nashville, which will be the nucleus for the Army of Tennessee. Albert Sidney Johnston will be available soon, and his command rating is really good. An army in Tennessee will be necessary to shield my industry efforts in the deep South.

Rail and River infrastructure was invested in. This will increase flow of supplies and make for easier transportation of units. I'll make this decision a few more times, but of course nothing will get the South's rail and river pool anywhere near the North's.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 7 -
Fairly quiet. No battles this turn. Premium for volunteers is available, as original 3 month enlistments are set to expire. It's a tricky decision. Spend too much money when you're doing well, and a lot of new recruits will sign up regardless of the bonus, meaning you'll spend a bunch of money for nothing. However, if the war is not going well and you spend a low or zero premium, then you'll get hardly any new recruits and then have to wait several more turns before you can start building or getting replacements. It's a gamble. I'll go with the small bonus of $1. Regardless of how many new recruits I get, it won't matter much either way if I spend all my cash and can't build anything.

Sign up, get some cash, boys. Be sure to send some home to the folks in case you get your damn head blown off before you can spend it.
AACWII-1861volunteers.jpg

McDowell has moved north and is approaching the Harper's Ferry area. I thought he was gonna head for the lightly defended Fredricksburg, which was worrying me a bit. Now the challenge is what to do about his attempts to move into the Valley. Should I make a stand and defend it with Johnston's Shenandoah force, or move them out and spare any blood-letting at the sacrifice of the Valley district? For now I'm splitting the difference and sending General Thompson up to join Johnston with about 5k light infantry and an artillery battery. Once Thompson joins him, Johnson will have about 16k men. I can only guess, but from playing the Union before, McDowell's northern Virginia army usually has about 30k, unless the AI has added to it.

Out west McCulloch's Army of the West is ready. He's only got around 5k men, but I'm going to send his force up the river to join Price at Fayetteville. Once together they should command a force of around 12k troops, but the men of Missouri and Arkansas don't get along too well... McCulloch and Price even less so. But for now I need to start building some sizable forces in the field that can repel the blue bellies.

McCullochBenjamin.jpg

From wiki article on McCulloch -

On August 10, 1861, McCulloch's troops, though relatively poorly armed, handily defeated the army of General Nathaniel Lyon at the Battle of Wilson's Creek, Missouri. "We have an average of only twenty-five rounds of ammunition to the man," McCulloch reported, "and no more to be had short of Fort Smith and Baton Rouge." He did not have a high opinion of Price's Missourians, noting that they were undisciplined, commanded mostly by incompetent and inexperienced politicians, and possessed only a poor mix of weapons and equipment. For some 5,000 of them, their enlistment time was up and they were anxious to go home. Cooperation between the Arkansas and Missouri contingents was feeble, with "little cordiality of feeling between the two armies." His lack of confidence in the Missourians led McCulloch to hesitate when a bold attack might well have destroyed Lyon's smaller force and given Missouri to the Confederacy.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 8 -
Floyd has been attacked while escaping out of WV. Good thing for him, the yanks were as tired as his own men, and he handled them well, considering his dispirited leader trait and exhausted troops.

Wise's legion will continue the path south parallel to Floyd in order to make a conjunction with him. 3 cheers for Floyd's men, who fought bravely despite having a really crap general.
AACWII-1861-Floydattacked.jpg

The core of the Army of Tennessee is forming up nicely. Shows what some spirited volunteer units can do. Almost 18 thousand men mustering at Nashville, and the only ones I've paid for are a few militia units. By late winter we should have a decent army to use. Polk will make a really good corps commander one day, given some luck and the Lord's blessing.
AACWII-1861-Tennesseearmy.jpg

In Texas, Shelby is one day's march away from Dallas. Another Ranger unit recruited to help out the other troops trying to retake Tyler.

Another blockade runner ready for duty on the east coast. Will send it down to the Gulf. Gulf region will be spared Yankee ships for longer than the Atlantic blockade boxes. Should mean better returns of WS for a longer period for the South.

McDowell still sits east of Harper's Ferry. No aggressive movements so far since Wallace threatened Winchester a few turns ago.

Volunteer enlistment has begun. Will have some more troops now for recruitment and replacement.

I'm not happy with Magruder being alone up at Fredricksburg, so I'm sending Whiting and a few thousand more men up to reinforce him. This bleeding of troops from Richmond might not seem smart, but I need to start making a cohesive defense line along the Rapidan/Rappahannock river line if I intend on keeping Richmond as my capital.

Out in the far west General Baylor is alone, but he's getting some new recruits in the form of New Mexico Rangers and a mounted brigade. I'll help bolster his command with more troops in order to keep the Yanks out of west Texas and New Mexico. Arizona territory will have to wait.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 9 -

Runner cards used for Gulf. Semmes is active in Union shipping box, but he's only got the CSS Sumter. I could add more ships to give him punch, but the cost of building blue water fleets for the CSA isn't worth it. The Union's gonna get their war chest regardless. My resources would be better spent elsewhere.

Harper's Ferry finally fell to the Union. Oddly enough, it's a 12k man force under General 'Spoons' Butler, who is usually being armed up for a late season attack on New Orleans. Even though I've lost Harper's Ferry, the knowledge of Butler being up there could mean New Orleans is safe for some time. *I'll probably regret saying this by the end of the year. The AI almost always makes some sort of grab for New Orleans.*

Dallas is mine again. Shelby hasn't let me down yet. Tyler still holds out. The remaining Yankee cavalry seemed to have lost the taste for fighting and have retreated back up into Indian territory. Now all we need to do is go find Sam Houston and put him where he belongs - the nursing home.

Just checked foreign intervention. It stands at -9, even though my morale is really high and I've only lost one or two small skirmishes.

Even though he's still just a one star general, I'm putting Jackson in charge of the Valley force. His stats are really good, and command penalty is worth having him in charge until he can get promoted. Joe Johnston is being put on a train for Nashville. When Albert Sidney appears, I'll probably give him a command somewhere in Mississippi or maybe even build a smaller invasion force to use in Kentucky. By the time it's all over, I should probably have 3-4 armies in the field. The Union will most likely have twice that.

Floyd and Wise have nearly finished their mountain passage and will then move on join either Jackson at Warren or Beauregard near Charlottesville. For the moment I'm not too worried about a massive Union army appearing behind them. The resources and geography of WV make it a natural backwater *sorry, WV fans*.

Couple more turns and then I can start building proper divisions.

Camp Dick Robinson event
AACWII-1861-Camp-Robinson.jpg

Camp Dick Robinson means Kentucky should be going live soon.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 10 -
Another quiet turn. Sibley has arrived in Texas and is moving to Tyler, along with some cavalry I dispatched from Shelby's force. Tyler should be taken soon, then TX will be back in my hands.

A runner brought in 1 money and 10 WS.

McCulloch has arrived at Fayetteville and combined with Price. There's now close to 13k men in southern Missouri. General Lyon is now besieging Springfield. Will need to push him out soon, or I'll lose what's left of my territories in Missouri.

For some reason Floyd's march through the mountains has been delayed by almost two weeks. Probably bad weather and supply delays. Wise's men are going to be sent to Jackson instead. Wise's legion and some more infantry sent from Richmond should put Jackson's force at over 20k. I'm gonna need them, because Butler and McDowell seem ready to burn the valley down.

President Davis issues his loyalty decree. +1 National Morale
AACWII-1861loyaltydecree.jpg

A few replacements ordered. Considering sending a few of Beauregard's units further west to extend my line out to Staunton. If Jackson has to abandon the valley, he could then move into a solid line reaching across Middle and Rapidan rivers. Rivers will not only screen my movements, but will add to my defense ratings in case the Union makes a concerted offensive southward. However, I hope that's not necessary because the valley department brings in some nice supplies and cash.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 11 -
Lyon makes an attack on Springfield... and he face plants.
AACWII-1861-Lyon-Springfield.jpg

Even so, another battle or two and Springfield will be lost. Fremont is reported to be moving south to join Lyon. McCulloch/Price force (Army of Missouri) is ordered north to intercept. Expected march is two weeks. Can Springfield hold out?

Commissioners dispatched to England and France.

Five full generals have been appointed. Cooper (gets a desk at War Dept.), Joe Johnston, Albert S Johnson, PGT Beauregard, and the man, the myth, Robert E Lee.
AACWII-1861fullgenerals.jpg

Alliance with Natives. Stand Watie is now available in Indian territory, but his larger force, the Choctaw Rifles, will be locked up for a few more turns. For now I'll have Watie on defense and scout Yankee positions.

More arsenals ordered for Georgia.

Runners bring in more cash, plus Semmes sinks some Union merchant ships worth 2 money and 2 WS.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 12 -
Things are heating up. The Union has decided to allow its own forces into Kentucky. State militias are forming on both sides. Bowling Green is in CSA hands. I've decided to not get a VP penalty by having Joe Johnston command the Army of Tennessee, and am giving it to Albert Sidney instead. Joe Johnston's getting a few infantry from the main Tennessee force and is being sent to Memphis to lead the Army of Mississippi.

Albert S Johnston is now on his way up to Bowling Green. A march up to Louisville might be possible. The Union seems weak there, but Grant has been spotted in Cairo. Caution is advised.
AACWII-1861-Kentucky.jpg

Kentucky volunteers and brigade builds are now possible.

If Joe Johnston and others can keep the Yanks busy along the Mississippi as a diversion, a proper attack all the way up the Ohio is a possibility. Time to polish the shoe leather just in case, boys.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 13 -
Spent most of the turn creating divisions. Divisions and corps add to the combat rating of unit, especially if they stay within the command limit of the commander. It's kind of complicated, but basically if a general has a command limit of 4 and you have him commanding a force of 6 units, he'll have a penalty based on the percentage that he's over the number limit. This command limit also applies to corps and armies. That's another reason why you want good commanders leading troops. The game gives them command and combat bonuses.

Not many battles this turn except for a loss at Wythe Virginia, where some Union cavalry have slipped past Floyd. GW Smith's division is now en route to western Virginia to block these cavalry raids.

Building divisions has increased the combat rating of all units, and Virginia and Tennessee armies are now capable of handling full field operations. All that's left to do now is see what price I've paid for being so cautious in the last few months, because if I've had time to improve my armies and recruit troops, it certainly means the Union has done that and more.

AS Johnston is now at Bowling Green, ready to attack in Kentucky. Joe Johnston is at Memphis building his army. McCulloch is south of Springfield but Fremont and Lyon have slipped west to Indian territory. Going to pull him back to Fayetteville to protect supply lines and the Arkansas river towns.

*Note on HQ support units*
Built one for Beauregard's army. You can build signal corps, engineers, and medical by themselves, but HQ supports contain several in a single unit. They're expensive and take some time to build, but they increase replenishment, training, and command points. Definitely worth buying one for each army.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 14 -
Trouble a'brewin'. McDowell marches towards Fredricksburg!
AACWII-1861-Fredricksburgthreat.jpg

Magruder is the only force currently there to defend the town. Intel suggests McDowell's army is at least 5 divisions plus support. I'm sending Huger's new division north, and have turned GW Smith's command around to support, but his rail move will take a week. 'March to the sound of the guns' feature means Beauregard may assist, since he's only one province away. But for now Magruder's men must be getting a bit anxious. Unless McDowell stops or turns back, the next turn might show some bloody work.

Shelby and Sibley are finishing up clearing out TX, though Tyler still holds out with a small garrison. Once TX is cleared of Yankees, Shelby will be sent north to help control Indian territory.

AS Johnston is holding at Bowling Green. General Bragg is on his way to join him from Florida. Given his unpopularity and poor rating, I'll give him a small command, but he's politically connected in Richmond, it would seem unwise to just pack him off somewhere to guard a backwater against 'skeeters and flies.

Jackson has won his first battle, a small skirmish while pushing the Union out of Winchester. He'll dart around the Valley often, and depending on how things turn with McDowell, I may do a flank attack on him with Jackson's force. Cornering and wiping out McDowell's army would be huge for my national morale.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 15 -
McDowell has disappeared on trains and is now up in Morgan, WV. Instead of Richmond under threat, now Jackson is alone in the Valley with tons of blue shirts surrounding him. Once again, GW Smith is being put on trains for a ride to join him. Feel sorry for Smith's troops. They've been riding on trains almost non-stop for a month.

A Union naval detachment was spotted outside of the James river north of Norfolk. Buchanan goes on the attack with the CSS Virginia.

Success! The USS Augusta was sunk, with no casualties to the CSA.
AACWII-1861-Buchananvictory.jpg

More Union ships arrived to help, but Buchanan held them off. He's now going on defense and heading back to Norfolk. Buchanan knows that if we're going to win, it has to be a death by a thousand cuts.

Tyler TX has fallen to Sibley. Texas is now clear of Union troops.

McCulloch/Price/Watie are now all at Fayetteville. Fremont/Lyon and other Union cavalry are out west in Indian territory, just one region away.

Baylor is now active in New Mexico. Will keep him there for the moment until I can make his force stronger.

Union merchants were attacked again by Semmes for a loss to Union money and WS.

Fingers crossed that Smith can reach Jackson before Yankees attack him. We await word from the Valley.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 16 -
Trent Affair begins. Resolution seems random. CSA will either get a loss of foreign support, or a small gain, depending on the result.

The Yanks seem scared of Jackson. Nothing to report from the Valley.

More brigades ready for Joe Johnston's army at Memphis. He'll need 'em. By spring the Mississippi is going to be a battleground as the Union begins its Anaconda Plan.

Buchanan's victory along the James didn't seem to scatter the Union Navy as hoped. Transport fleet has arrived at the estuary with two brigades of infantry. I'm sending some extra militia to help bolster Suffolk. Norfolk garrison has 3k men + 8 cannon. More artillery is ordered built there. Maybe they'll go away. If not, Buchanan's proud but tired men will have to be sent back out to contest the waters.

More runner cards and cotton exports ready to use. Winter is setting in.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 17 -
Quiet, except for a skirmish at Covington VA. Union general Griffin makes an attempt to storm the city, but Floyd comes through again and repels them. Out in the west it's getting strange. Fremont and Lyon seem to be ignoring Missouri and Arkansas, instead moving in-strength into Indian territory... in the cold of winter. Doesn't make sense, but I'm shadowing their movements with Price. Shelby's at Fort Washita in southern Indian territory, ready to keep them out of Texas.

Union fleet in the James river isn't doing anything for now. AI seems to be either confused as to what direction to take, or it's simply going into winter quarters mode.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 18 -

Wow. Best possible outcome for Trent. Union refuses to release the commissioners, and Britain is pissed. Foreign support has gone up to +26. I usually don't bother with cotton embargo and trade concession options, as foreign involvement is very hard to get. However, with these turn of events, it might be worth it. Trade concession gets me +3 foreign support, cotton embargo has a 75% of +35! If these both work, and we get a big victory or two in battle, we may very well see the English make an appearance on the CSA side.

19th century version of Geo-politics. The world waits with baited breath.
AACWII-1861-Trentescalation.jpg

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Turn 19 -
1862 Begins

New decisions and generals available. Cotton sent off, generals distributed for coming force builds. Inflation is zero, so I'm using all three money options. Will get 1800k cash with only 2% inflation. Partial draft is used, will give me 200 recruits - premium for volunteers as well.

Foreign options used in last turn worked. Foreign support is now at +44. This is a good change of pace for me. I've had foreign intervention before in the first Civil War game, but not in this one. Could be interesting to see happen.

Ordered partisans and Copperheads for Indian territory to help distract Fremont's effort.

Mines are ordered built for James river. Union fleet is currently parked at Hampton Roads. They could be disembarking troops at Ft. Monroe for a run up the Peninsula.

Overall I'd say 1861 went very well. Kept losses to a minimum, won a couple of skirmishes, and got some big support by foreign powers. Let's hope that 1862 rewards us with even more blessings as we march to victory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom