Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Quillon

Arcane
Yes, that was what was happening but game never mentioned anything about it or grand conspiracy or whatever up to that point, he just shows up out of the blue. Guess its realistic for a successful conspiracy :P

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, that was what was happening but game never mentioned anything about it or grand conspiracy or whatever up to that point, he just shows up out of the blue. Guess its realistic for a successful conspiracy :P
That's something I really like. You can learn about it IF you do all quests, otherwise it takes you by completely by surprise. And Kurt's actions are entirely different depending on it.

I wonder if there are more situations like this.

Quillon

Arcane
That's something I really like. You can learn about it IF you do all quests, otherwise it takes you by completely by surprise. And Kurt's actions are entirely different depending on it.

I would have liked it if MC got surprised as I did but he seemed to know what was going on somehow; not asking Kurt "Why?" but just saying "Fight with honor!" so the duel ensues instead of a firing squad filling Constantine(and De Sardet) with bullets.

Codex Year of the Donut
New Serene as the only city with expanded embassies would have likely been for the best.
I found it strange that New Serene is still being built but the other two cities look like they've been standing for years.

Jinn

Arcane
This game would be substantially better if they’d made the world 50% smaller. Spiders, Spiders never changes.

Or they could just more densely populate it with more rewarding points of interest. If a team like Piranha Bytes that's half their size (I think) can do it in ELEX, they could have done it better in Greedfall. I feel like Spiders needs more people playing truly good games on their gameplay design team.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game would be substantially better if they’d made the world 50% smaller. Spiders, Spiders never changes.

Or they could just more densely populate it with more rewarding points of interest. If a team like Piranha Bytes that's half their size (I think) can do it in ELEX, they could have done it better in Greedfall. I feel like Spiders needs more people playing truly good games on their gameplay design team.

Pretty sure Spiders is 20-30 people and Piranha Bytes is roughly 30. Anyway, sure, they could add a lot more content to fill out their empty spaces, but I figure that’s way more expensive than just shrinking everything.

Besides, the thing that makes exploration in Elex work is that it’s dangerous. The unforgiving early to mid-game power curve makes getting from point A to point B a genuine challenge. If they’re not going to emulate that, they should cut a bunch of empty space.

Jinn

Arcane
Besides, the thing that makes exploration in Elex work is that it’s dangerous. The unforgiving early to mid-game power curve makes getting from point A to point B a genuine challenge. If they’re not going to emulate that, they should cut a bunch of empty space.

That's pretty much what I mean by rewarding points of interest. Genuine difficulty with most encounters through at least half the game, detailed environmental storytelling, meaningful loot even if that means foraging for somewhat scarce plants with modeled representation for potions etc. But yeah, if all else fails, shrink your world-size and make it happen through that. I like some of the more expansive environments, but they mean little when the above isn't implemented. In other words, I agree.

On a more positive note, I've found the economy to have remained nicely tight up to my 26th hour played. I had fears in the beginning that it would snowball into me being a millionaire very quickly, but not so. I have to think carefully about whether or not I want to buy that excellent piece of gear, or how many upgrades I want to add to my own or my companion's armor. Pretty well-done overall, as far as RPG economies go.

Also, there are definitely instances where you find some really great stuff out in the wilderness while exploring. They're just very few and far between. I like the sparsity of finding excellent gear, but I feel like I've only found 3-4 unique pieces that I really wanted to hang on to. Prime examples are the Merchant Prince's gear and the Coin Guard Major's gear from both his body and the chest. Those are the only two I can really think of at the moment.

Last edited:

Zyondyne

Learned
New Serene as the only city with expanded embassies would have likely been for the best.
I found it strange that New Serene is still being built but the other two cities look like they've been standing for years.

Well, that's because they've been. I specifically remember Bridge Alliance's governor telling my the city is 15 years old.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I reloaded and doing Kurt's quest in the "secret" camp now that I've had just accepted but went to talk to Constantine cos he was closer...but why did he attack?
There's still more of Kurt's quests to do. Way more.
Coinguard is training assassins and embedding them in the local governments to perform a coup d'etat

Cool to know he goes along with it if you don't help him.
If you didn't do the quest,he
will show up with bunch of soldiers, but since he likes you and your cousin(but not enough to disobey the order), he won't let the soldiers just shoot your ass, instead have a one on one duel with you and get killed.

The interactivity of quests and companions is truly impressive. I don't think that there is another game that have its quests and characters that intertwine.

deama

Prophet
Is there any badass one-handed weapon in the endgame? Already got unique 5 agility two-hander but using such a weapon in your merchant prince outfit looks retarted.
If you preorded it you get a flaming 1h rapier that looks pretty cool.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Did the reward you get from each faction when you have a high reputation random or what? I only get two unique equipment the rest seems to be one purple and one green?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did the reward you get from each faction when you have a high reputation random or what? I only get two unique equipment the rest seems to be one purple and one green?
I believe that you get faction unique set once you finish their quest chains.

I would have liked it if MC got surprised as I did but he seemed to know what was going on somehow; not asking Kurt "Why?" but just saying "Fight with honor!" so the duel ensues instead of a firing squad filling Constantine(and De Sardet) with bullets.

Absolutely do all companion quests before you try to finish up main quest or you'll get fucked up like this a few times. The interactivity of the main quest line is super impressive this far.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never had a game be so transparent about how you are running from one dialogue wheel to another, so many of the quests are just fast travel to this NPC or that.

The amount of "off screen" developments that aren't done as a cutscene or an actual, you know, gameplay area in the later parts is ridiculous as well. No money for setting cutscenes in any environment not in the core open world, at all, is quite funny.

Truly it is a very enjoyable talking heads simulator with some pretty solid writing, and some *very* polished combat that seems like it got more people working on it than the art asset team as a whole.

It's strange how it pulls it off but it's like it's reading from the script of how to make a successful RPG "insanely neurotic attention to gameplay loop, good writing, don't waste too much money on graffics just use good art direction" and dials it up to 12. No game dev has ever made a 3D open world with less of an art budget that was as decent as this game.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Playing as a woman here and yes, dialogue and VA just feel right. On the other hand, my character is black and the natives keep telling me I look so much like them. :hmmm:
because you have that strange stuff on your face.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's pretty much what I mean by rewarding points of interest. Genuine difficulty with most encounters through at least half the game, detailed environmental storytelling, meaningful loot even if that means foraging for somewhat scarce plants with modeled representation for potions etc. But yeah, if all else fails, shrink your world-size and make it happen through that. I like some of the more expansive environments, but they mean little when the above isn't implemented. In other words, I agree.

It’s funny. I felt like the two maps between New Selene and the two other capitals were mostly filler, but I just went through Vedrad and that map was excellent. So it’s not like they don’t know how.

Jinn

Arcane
So it’s not like they don’t know how.

Yeah, this is what's the most frustrating. You see those moments where the game design shines nicely, then you wander through some areas wondering "who called in sick that day?" It really must have been a matter of time constraints, lack of resources, and mismanagement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom