Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space Wreck is a short isometric space RPG inspired by Fallout, coming to Early Access in February

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Pahris Entertainment; Space Wreck

There are always various interesting little hobby projects incubating on our forums. One of these is Space Wreck, a Fallout-inspired isometric space RPG by veteran Codex poster Kamaz originally released last April as a free browser game on itch.io. In Space Wreck, you play as the captain of a passenger shuttle damaged in an attack by space pirates. Your goal is to find replacement parts for your shuttle on a nearby derelict spacecraft. If that sounds like a simple hook for an RPG, that's because it is - this is an intentionally short game. But it's got the skill checks, multiple quest solutions and choice & consequence you'd expect from an RPG inspired by Fallout. After taking in plenty of criticism from our community, Kamaz decided to keep on improving Space Wreck with an eye towards a proper release on Steam Early Access. Yesterday he launched the game's Steam page with a release date of February 28th. Here's the trailer and description:

Inspired by classic western isometric RPGs (Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum), this is hardcore role playing game set in space 20 years post major conflict over asteroid mining.

Role playing
This is the most important part of the game - you can play whatever character you wish, play however you want to. You can be smooth talker, sneaky hacker or brawling bully; or something else - it's your choice: distribute the points in character creation and make decisions when playing.

Multiple solutions
There are always multiple ways to solve problems (quests), usually tied to your character skills and abilities - play to your character's strengths, work around its weaknesses. For example, if you cannot convince someone to help you, hack his computer and blackmail him. Or just straight up pickpocket the guy - all items are always realistically placed in NPC inventories.

Note: there are usually 3-8 ways to complete a quest in the game. They can trigger related events in near future or lead to a different ending in the end slides.

Choice & Consequence
Your actions, your decisions matter to the game world. Make an enemy, you may need him/her later on. Opt for easier solution to current problem and you might have to deal with bigger problem later. And in the end you will get a unique game ending showing you future fate of your character and those who he/she impacted through gameplay.

Non-linear world
You have an objective but how you approach it - it's up to you; game map is as open to you as reasonably possible (it's stranded space ship after all) and there is no single true path to the end. If you know where to go, what to do - you can try to sequence break the game. Combine that with multiple solutions to every quest and you've got freedom to spare.

Optional but unlimited violence
You can complete the game without killing anyone. In fact, combat is completely optional. But if you want to fight - there are no immortal or "essential" NPCs - everyone everywhere has finite amount of HP and is fair game.

Turn-based combat
Game features old-school tactical turn-based combat with grid based movement, action points and dice rolls.

Kamaz, you have our attention. We'll see how this turns out in five months.

Saulot

Novice
You had me at "Choices & Consequences & Multiple Solutions".
Good luck with the steam release.

Morkar Left

Cool the browser version looked interesting already. Will wait for the more "refined" version then!

aratuk

Cipher
I will happily buy it. But damn, those system requirements!

16gb RAM and NVIDIA 1050 recommended, for that? Something is leaking, my friend. Call a plumber! :lol:

It looks very interesting. It captures that dos era graphics look really well but it also looks a bit crude and hand drawn at times. Graphics is just graphics. Hopefully it has some decent gameplay.

I will happily buy it. But damn, those system requirements!

16gb RAM and NVIDIA 1050 recommended, for that? Something is leaking, my friend. Call a plumber! :lol:
even the minimums tho:

MINIMUM:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.5GHz (4 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 200 MB available space

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom