Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No One Lives Forever

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Thank fucking God. At last. I have them as a magazine DVD extra, but it will be more comfortable to have them on GOG.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ugh. More abandonware games being re-released for the sake of profit.

Why not?

As much as I appreciate "abandonware", emulator, fan patch, and piracy scenes' roles in preserving games, I think it's generally a good thing there's also an "official" way to acquire a game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
years ago when these games were only available on abandonware sites that could often go down at any moment and the games often needed various patches to work properly, if at all: "I'd gladly pay for these if someone did proper re-releases but no one does so I settle for abandonware because I have no choice."

now when these games are re-released for sale with proper patching and updated controls etc: "fuck this why the hell would I pay for these old games, greedy fucks."

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
years ago when these games were only available on abandonware sites that could often go down at any moment and the games often needed various patches to work properly, if at all: "I'd gladly pay for these if someone did proper re-releases but no one does so I settle for abandonware because I have no choice."

now when these games are re-released for sale with proper patching and updated controls etc: "fuck this why the hell would I pay for these old games, greedy fucks."

Go look at Ash's post from the last page, literally above LESS T_T's post with the teaser tweets.

NOLF 1 & 2 released by anon monocled gentlemen for FREE!

http://nolfrevival.tk/
Someone was kind enough to post these games on his page with the latest patches, no-CD cracks, widescreen support and modern Windows support. How exactly would a GOG/Steam re-release be better than this?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Someone was kind enough to post these games on his page with the latest patches, no-CD cracks, widescreen support and modern Windows support. How exactly would a GOG/Steam re-release be better than this?

Future support for as-to-be-released platforms and operating systems?
Soundtrack included?
Other extra goodies?
(Bragging rights on Steam for owning it and having gained all the achievements?)
All in one easy-to-find location?

So there at least are reasons for a commercial re-release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
NOLF 2 crashed on me constantly. If they could fix that, it'd be worth it for other people.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Go look at Ash's post from the last page, literally above LESS T_T's post with the teaser tweets.

NOLF 1 & 2 released by anon monocled gentlemen for FREE!

http://nolfrevival.tk/
I can imagine someone finding that website in 10 years when they are looking for a way to get NOLF running on their Win14 PC and finding all the mega and mediafire links are dead and the torrent has 1 seeder stuck at 99.8%.

The benefit of a legitimate re-release is reliability in its availability and support.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This fan-made patch might also come in handy to make NOLF1 run better on modern systems:

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf-modernizer

No One Lives Forever 1 - Modernizer
https://heythere.coffee/nolf/

The NOLF modernization patch fixes performance issues, and attempts to adapt the original classic for larger resolutions.

Key Changes
  • Fixes slowdown with some UI elements (such as looking down scope, or picking items up)
  • HUD scaling options for most HUD elements
  • Replaced mouse input code for a more responsive experience
  • Optional framerate cap to 60fps
  • Optional 4:3 mode for cutscenes
  • New Jukebox menu in Options
More information
Install instructions
Place all the files in your No One Lives Forever game directory. Then launch NOLF.exe, and click "Advanced", and then "Customize". Simply "Add" the Modernizer.rez file, and check "Always load these rez files", then click "Ok", and launch the game!

It's important that you don't run this mod with any other mods that may have modified the game code.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

dgVoodoo can help when you have visible problems with graphics from the start, although, I think It's more a problem with the Lithtech Jupiter engine, since the first game works without any problems on 64-bit Windows 7.

Mostly what can happen:

1) lithtech Client MFC application error (during loading new area, or loading previous save)
2) Speed of the game decreases - you need to force v-sync through Nvidia control panel on LithTech.exe , and set OFF the Anisotropic filtering
3) Siberia levels are the most unstable - the game can crash just by turning on/off the lights in the room, walking by, loading sub-area. What is worse, there is a possibility to corrupt of every save. I know because it happen to me. Later on the game works normally for most of the time, but Siberia is a huge minefield where everything can happen.

There is also a huge chance, when you load the game during that section, you start seeing some strange graphic glitches like huge lines showing up, doors with messed up shadows and similar issues. I had to search through a lot of places, but apparently you need to ALT+TAB the game for a second, and then go back. I was amazed, that it actually worked. If you don't "fix" it that way, after a while there is possibility of a crash.

Other tips:

1) Try playing with one core only
2) Try applying this patch for MFC errors, to reduce their numbers. There is also included a sound patch as well, if you have problem with it.

I have replayed NOLF 2 first, and don't remember such problems when I have run it on Windows XP. A proper version of it would be really welcomed, because even with all the additional patches and fixes it doesn't work properly.

Okagron

Prophet
I played the two NOLF games recently from the NOLFRevival site and had only one issue in each game. In the first game for some reason going underwater would make everything go dark, meaning i couldn't see anything. I did ended up finding a fix. In the second game, in the level when you are being chased by the super soldier, the game would stutter everytime the super soldier was nearby, but i also found a fix for that. Outside of those two issues, the games never crashed and had other issues.

In terms of which one i find better, in retrospect i love both and i can play either at anytime. I do agree that a re-release of the two games would be great.

Last edited:

Citizen

Men, did anyone successfully play NOLF2 on win7 machine? I finished the Japan chapter without problems, but in the Siberia missions game started to behave weird: the geometry of interactive objects is fucked up (containers, buttons and doors look stretched into infinity, think of weird xray engine bugs) and it crashes on save game reload or interaction with objects (buttons and lightswitches) most of the time. I tried the compatibility settings and even got the fix from UnityHQ website, but it still doesn't work :negative:

NOLF1 worked fine on my machine and I finished it without issues

Modron

Arcane
Men, did anyone successfully play NOLF2 on win7 machine? I finished the Japan chapter without problems, but in the Siberia missions game started to behave weird: the geometry of interactive objects is fucked up (containers, buttons and doors look stretched into infinity, think of weird xray engine bugs) and it crashes on save game reload or interaction with objects (buttons and lightswitches) most of the time. I tried the compatibility settings and even got the fix from UnityHQ website, but it still doesn't work :negative:

NOLF1 worked fine on my machine and I finished it without issues
You try this version of Nolf 2 http://nolfrevival.tk/ ?

Citizen

You try this version of Nolf 2 http://nolfrevival.tk/ ?

That's the one I'm running. I noticed that it had LivesForeverPlus mod activated in the launcher, maybe it can be causing the problem?

Deactivating it makes my older saves incompatible tho, so I need to replay the japan chapters without it to see if it makes any difference. Will report later

Citizen

With a bit more googling I found a guy with exact same problem

No solution found apart from alt-tabbing every time a visual bug appears, but it doesn't seem to help in my case and would honestly be a pretty annoying way to play

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man, GOG are mind-readers I was just thinking about this game earlier in the week.

I remember buying it and the cashier jockey in GAME telling me if I couldn't run it on my PC I wouldn't be able to return it.

The day PC games became loot boxes.

EDIT: Game ran fine and was very fun and colourful up until Siberia where I got bored.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I just saw it was a NoClip tweet that was posted above.

Those guys really are disappointment incarnate aren't they.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom