Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

rohand

Cipher
You can keep rerolling a new random one

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You may be right. I'm not sure if it is truly random or just picking from the pre-made ones.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Well, I finally got a copy and played a bit THE BANISHED. Here's what I got:

THE GOOD
-There's an interesting system where you have to keep track of your hunger, thirst, tiredness, and hallis.
What are hallis? Some seeds used as currency to which every person in game is addicted. Being deprived of them for not too long of a time, will end up with the player facing sickness and penalties. They're produced by some monopolizing organization which distributes them to the land, noone has managed to grow or synthesize them so far.
-The history seems interesting, mixing magic with mysterious hi-tech as seen is AoD

THE BAD
-Railroad the game. There are no options other than ok, I'll do it and no, I don't wanna (but will probably have to come back later and do it anyways). No branching whatsoever so far.
-Poor systems overall. You only have STR DEX VIT MGK stats which you define at the beginning and then increment themselves on level up. You only get to put some points on weapon or magic proficiency.
-Combat seems simplistic, although I've only played as a warrior

THE UGLY
-Those graphics, for god's sake
-The music
-The sounds
-THE FONT. IT'S FUCKING UNREADABLE

No screenshots because no alt-tab.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
These screenshots are linked from another website. Is this the game you're referring to in your post?

428595031.jpg

428594875.jpg

428595062.jpg

AdolfSatan

Arcane
ProphetSword Yeah, that's the one. Believe me, those are the best looking screens they could get, the towns and everything else is awful.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't you print screen, then exit the game and show us a screen, please?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Turns out there was a settings file on the game folder that allowed for windowed mode. So, without further a do:

1.png

Char creation

2.png

Ugly font

3.png

Ugly houses

4.png

Inventory

5.png

Magic (seems interesting)

Last edited:

EverlastingLove

Learned
Turns out there was a settings file on the game folder that allowed for windowed mode. So, without further a do:

1.png

Char creation

2.png

Ugly font

3.png

Ugly houses

4.png

Inventory

5.png

Magic (seems interesting)

Hey, these look really nice. On the other hand I've recently finished Darklands so almost everything looks really nice to me, lol

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That's what you call ugly?
Texture in the houses has a different grain/resolution to that of the background and uses an improper palette. It makes little Adolf's heart hurt.

You can't see it because I felt lazy to take more screenshots, but the architectural style varies wildly amidst a single town in ways that make no sense.

And the UI looks quite prosperous, just look at those borders.

The real question is: Is it RT, RTwP or TB?
RT with each action taking X amount of time to perform.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Main (visual) problem to me is the font. The rest can be blamed on limited resources and experience from the team, but using a legible font is a matter of common sense. You want people to be encouraged to read your stuff, not to make it a trial of patience.

RT with each action taking X amount of time to perform.

Aw, those hexagons really looked like TB.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Someone above have mentioned Silver (1999), I don't know how it plays now, but in was my favourite 20 years ago (I'm 31 :negative:), & is certainly DO have one of the beautiful OSTs of all time. Graphics were also kinda impressive back then, and fight system is still the best. Also this is manga-inspired game made with the sense of epic by Western studio, so all things are in place. It's a shame that nobody remembers it anymore (besides Burial the musician)

SilverDX11-2017-03-28-12-10-55-78.jpg

Silver_06.jpg

Silver1999SteamLaunch-7.jpg

Modron

Arcane
I tried playing it recently kind of got tired of the save system though.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Silver's combat is a mess, at least with a mouse. Maybe it plays better on a pad or something.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Silver's combat is a mess, at least with a mouse. Maybe it plays better on a pad or something.

I dunno, it seems much more interesting for me than clicking enemy to death, or wait and watch how the character use the sword or to have two attacks on gamepad.

Skdursh

Savant
Someone above have mentioned Silver (1999), I don't know how it plays now, but in was my favourite 20 years ago (I'm 31 :negative:), & is certainly DO have one of the beautiful OSTs of all time. Graphics were also kinda impressive back then, and fight system is still the best. Also this is manga-inspired game made with the sense of epic by Western studio, so all things are in place. It's a shame that nobody remembers it anymore (besides Burial the musician)

SilverDX11-2017-03-28-12-10-55-78.jpg

Silver_06.jpg

Silver1999SteamLaunch-7.jpg

Decent game, but it's on GOG, which automatically disqualifies it from being "really obscure".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anything that's readily available on Steam or GoG doesn't qualify as "really obscure".

To be really obscure, it has to:
- only have a physical release, not digital, which is long out of print and can only be bought second hand
- be so indie it was only ever released on the developer's website, which is the only place you can buy it at
- so obscure that you can only find it on abandonware or piracy sites anymore, with no physical copies on ebay and the dev's website gone from the net

Games that are on Steam but are buried so deep you have to search for the title itself to even have a chance to find it are also okay.

Dimensity would qualify, for example:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/46720/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom