Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Boleskine

Arcane
Might as well make a dedicated thread for Civvie.

Today he posted Pro Quake.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
It's worth it. I didn't actually complete Quake 1 until recently and it really is a great shooter. Also, play Arcane Dimensions after that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
who cares what some stupid fucking youtube douche says about anything. who the fuck is this retard why do you care about the shit that comes out of his fucking retarded cunt mouth like any other fucking retarded cunt youtuber you stupid fuck

His videos are actually quite entertaining and he's pretty knowledgable about oldschool FPS.

schru

Arcane
I really want to play Quake for the first time.
If you just mean it'd be nice to play it for the first time again, never mind. Otherwise: I recommend playing Winquake, the original release for Windows, as the old software renderer with some of its artefacts has an irreplacable quality that goes a long way towards what made the game's atmosphere so special. It's necessary to download the music (with de-emphasis applied) as the on-line releases lack it ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135 ). They can be made to work with Winquake or any other version by using the program _inmm: https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibility-tools/_inmm-dll-tutorial/

For a replay, if one cares for something close to Glquake as it was originally released, it's necessary to use some source port regardless as it seems impossible to make it play music on recent systems; Fitzquake Mark V seems like a good option since it doesn't change much. An accurate configuration would have animation interpolation off; Glquake also lacked overbright lighting and fullbright textures, but that rather seems like an omission and just made it look worse, so they're not worth reproducing. The more interesting thing to do differently is to use Bobby Prince's alternative sound track made up of music from the Doom games. The album was called Doom Music, was released in 1997, and there's a high-quality rip available at RuTracker.

I think Arcane Dimensions is really overrated. It was certainly very nice to look at, but the way the encounters were designed didn't feel like Quake. The enemies and their attack patterns weren't matched that well to location design and too often the encounters were just arena fights (it's something that Machine Games' episode did too, but I felt it was somewhat more enjoyable). The new enemies aren't that interesting either as they often have more health than common enemies in the original game did, but at least their attack patterns are varied. The complexity of the maps was also more apparent than real, as the most elaborate ones usually guided the player carefully along a path that twisted and winded back on itself multiple times. I suppose the original wasn't that different in this regard, but there's something irksome about it in this modification when it strives to make everything seem so elaborate. Finally, turning the shot-gun into a projectile weapon just makes it feel weak, weird (it looks like you're shooting with those particles that fly off walls), and mostly not fun to use.

This isn't to say it wasn't interesting to play through, mostly for the atmosphere of the maps. I just don't understand why it's received so unequivocally.

Bricker

Educated
I really want to play Quake for the first time.
If you just mean it'd be nice to play it for the first time again, never mind. Otherwise: I recommend playing Winquake, the original release for Windows, as the old software renderer with some of its artefacts has an irreplacable quality that goes a long way towards what made the game's atmosphere so special. It's necessary to download the music (with de-emphasis applied) as the on-line releases lack it ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135 ). They can be made to work with Winquake or any other version by using the program _inmm: https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibility-tools/_inmm-dll-tutorial/

For a replay, if one cares for something close to Glquake as it was originally released, it's necessary to use some source port regardless as it seems impossible to make it play music on recent systems; Fitzquake Mark V seems like a good option since it doesn't change much. An accurate configuration would have animation interpolation off; Glquake also lacked overbright lighting and fullbright textures, but that rather seems like an omission and just made it look worse, so they're not worth reproducing. The more interesting thing to do differently is to use Bobby Prince's alternative sound track made up of music from the Doom games. The album was called Doom Music, was released in 1997, and there's a high-quality rip available at RuTracker.

I think Arcane Dimensions is really overrated. It was certainly very nice to look at, but the way the encounters were designed didn't feel like Quake. The enemies and their attack patterns weren't matched that well to location design and too often the encounters were just arena fights (it's something that Machine Games' episode did too, but I felt it was somewhat more enjoyable). The new enemies aren't that interesting either as they often have more health than common enemies in the original game did, but at least their attack patterns are varied. The complexity of the maps was also more apparent than real, as the most elaborate ones usually guided the player carefully along a path that twisted and winded back on itself multiple times. I suppose the original wasn't that different in this regard, but there's something irksome about it in this modification when it strives to make everything seem so elaborate. Finally, turning the shot-gun into a projectile weapon just makes it feel weak, weird (it looks like you're shooting with those particles that fly off walls), and mostly not fun to use.

This isn't to say it wasn't interesting to play through, mostly for the atmosphere of the maps. I just don't understand why it's received so unequivocally.
Thanks for that

schru

Arcane
Thanks for that
You're welcome. I forgot to add one thing regarding that alternative sound track. Since the first track on game CDs was reserved for data, the first music track was listed as track 2, therefore the first track from Doom Music needs to be ignored completely when adding those tracks in _inmm; the superfluous tracks that exceed the number of those in the game will simply be ignored.

"Quakepasm, which I would've used if the fucking music worked" - what the fuck is he on about, I was just playing Quake 1 on Quakepasm with music not long ago. Had to download music files separately but it does work once dropped in appropriate folders. This guy sounds like some fucking tryhard and video is way too long to watch all of it. I'd rather watch that Gmanlives dude honestly.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wish he'd do Blood 2 again. Audio mixing in those old videos is dogshit.

BILLION SHIKARI DEMONS

lightbane

Arcane
Can confirm playing A: Resurrection for the PSX as a kid was almost impossibly difficult. Moreover, he missed mentioning some things such as how even the "cheat codes" are hardcore: One of them unlocks a menu that can change many things, but it doesn't tell you what. It can do stuff from making Aliens tiny (but still as lethal), to make them invincible, to color them in a different shade, etc. The only way to know is guesswork, or checking another guide, the latter of which was not so easy back in the old good days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom