Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
DQ 5 has the best battle music of the whole series and a fantastic story. Too bad it limits you to a 3-man party (DS game fixed this) and lacks any decent class/customization options.

:necro:

Lately I have been playing Dragon Quest V (SFC).

I've already finished DW 1&2 on NES back in the day (and also finished DW1 a second time a couple years ago; it was not great), and am saving DW3&4 for a rainy day, as I know they are great.

Dragon Quest V is alright. It has a slow start (much much slower than 2 or 3) and it's not very difficult, but it's still far and away better than your typical 16-bit console RPG. It's still got the "town-cave-town-cave" progression of many 16-bit console RPGs, but at least it's got a decent combat engine and dungeons that have actual layouts to them, instead of straight lines with side passages to treasure chests (FFIV-VI; though the FF series does improve each time, with some nice dungeons in FFVI).

In terms of graphics/music, it's a disaster compared with its contemporary competitor, Final Fantasy IV (which was released a year earlier). It almost looks like an NES/FC game with a special chip on the cart (slight exaggeration). This is especially damning, because FFIV was originally a FC game and then converted to SFC at some point during development (even many of the tiles and sprites are taken 1:1 from FFIII). Music composition is very nice, but the instrument quality is somewhat low; it's got that heavy reverb fake instrument feel that a lot of SNES/SFC games tend to have; again, compare it with FFIV, which sounds fantastic even today.

Putting the graphics/music aside, though, it's a fine game. It's easy so far (I'm still in the little kid portion of the game), but not as easy as FFIV for sure... and like I said above, the dungeons (as simple as they are) are a million times better than what we got with FFIV.

Weird coincidence. I've been playing DQ5 on the PS2. I'll probably go through some of the other games in the series again, too.

DQ11 did inspire me a bit with its draconian challenges. I've been imposing house-rules such as unequipping all armor except for maybe a shield on most character, limiting my consumables to 2 items per character each dungeon and only allowing 1 action between fights. Makes the game a little bit more challenging and fun. Unequipping armor is tends to be a decent way of making a lot of otherwise easy JRPGs pose some risk of death, I've found.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Oh boy, this is the general DQ thread. Should've posted on the XI one, lel. Nothing to see here.
mystery.png

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Dragon Quest music puts me to sleep. It all sounds the same, the composer has been phoning it in for at least 20 years.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Still playing Dragon Quest VIII, grinding. Grinding a lot and it is okay. This is just relaxing and I'm kind of in awe how simple but effective the story is. Same for the skills. It's just fun and the visuals are still pleasing enough. Shows that good games don't have to be complicated or age, if the mechanics and the narrative are well-thoughtout.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Sorry guys. The thing is I thought the Jessica look is a bug and I don't suppose to see her bra. Is she only one whose actual armor is displayed? BTW I play on pcsx2 and can't see the wagon only hear it.
Is this OK?
gsdx-20190311192406.png

YES! Just take your time and play it leisurly. You will have more fun this way.
Will do. Started right after DGV (ps2 version). Just cant get enough..

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still playing Dragon Quest VIII, grinding. Grinding a lot and it is okay. This is just relaxing and I'm kind of in awe how simple but effective the story is. Same for the skills. It's just fun and the visuals are still pleasing enough. Shows that good games don't have to be complicated or age, if the mechanics and the narrative are well-thoughtout.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
It goes full fucking retard after you've defeated dhoulmagus

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sorry guys. The thing is I thought the Jessica look is a bug and I don't suppose to see her bra. Is she only one whose actual armor is displayed? BTW I play on pcsx2 and can't see the wagon only hear it.
Is this OK?
gsdx-20190311192406.png

YES! Just take your time and play it leisurly. You will have more fun this way.
Will do. Started right after DGV (ps2 version). Just cant get enough..
lol yeah, Jessica in this game is the only one who can change costumes, purely fanservice.

PtYxg27.jpg

(the hero can also get a special costume at some point)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Does anyone actually think that looks better? Like, is it literally a case of someone demanding "MORE PIXELS! MORE RESOLUTION!" and then never looking at the product? Because I can't imagine anyone working on the game actually thinking that's an improvement.

Ugh, it's even got those gross tiling artifacts chrono trigger had.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought Builders and finished it a while ago (about a week or so before Builders 2 came out) and enjoyed it despite not caring much for minecraft, the game was fun and how it ties into DQ1 was cool. There were some irritating things though that I hear the 2nd one fixes and many people are saying the 2nd one is miles better than the first...

I have the 2nd one on switch but it's still sealed because I didn't want to play it right after finishing builders 1 and had other games I was playing.. and now a ton of new stuff is getting released because it's fall so dunno when I'm going to get to it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Finished Dragon Warrior 4 (NES) yesterday. It was fun but the game takes a nosedive in the last chapter since they did the silly thing where you can only control your MC and all other party members are controlled by (pretty bad) AI. In Dragon Quest, the combat is already pretty simplistic in general so any resemblance of tactical gameplay is out the window if you only control one character. Plot was typical Dragon Quest stuff. Dungeon Design was okay and the difficulty moderate.

From the ones i did a complete playthrough my ranking goes 8(3DS)>5(DS)>4(NES).

Next up is either DQ7 or DQ11.

Modron

Arcane
Did you not play 6? That was my favorite of the series, granted I haven't played 11 yet.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Did you not play 6? That was my favorite of the series, granted I haven't played 11 yet.
I've been sitting on a copy of the NDS version of 6 (already played 4 & 5) for quite some time now. Maybe it's time to dig it out and give it a whirl.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Finished Dragon Warrior 4 (NES) yesterday. It was fun but the game takes a nosedive in the last chapter since they did the silly thing where you can only control your MC and all other party members are controlled by (pretty bad) AI. In Dragon Quest, the combat is already pretty simplistic in general so any resemblance of tactical gameplay is out the window if you only control one character.

I thought you could select tactics in battle and turn off party AI. Unless I'm thinking of the DS remake.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom