Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Aeolwyn's Legacy is a Might & Magic VI-like blobber by New World Computing veteran Tim Lang

Diggfinger

Arcane
Might & Might IX was not bad because of some core design flaw. It's the exact same gameplay loop as VI-VIII. The problem was the game was rushed out the door in what can only be described as a pre-alpha build for release. With the hindsight of a couple decades of patches, it's no more a downgrade than VII was in relation to VI, or VIII was in relation to VII. And it's still one of only games (along with it's predecessors) that lets you actually become a Lich. Point being, the problem with MM9 is the same problem that plagued any number of games that came out in that time-period, which is that it simply wasn't finished when it was pushed out the door by a greedy publisher.

Finally someone's talking some damn sense in this thread.

Ooooobviously IX was not a 'bad game' because Lang set out to make it so. Actually, he did his very best in an impossible situation: trying to create a M&M sequel while JVC was absent under the extreme pressure of 3DO management. They were nearing bankruptcy, and the game was basically made with impossible deadlines and rushed out the door in Alpha-state (if even that). Not to mention being forced to use the Lithtech engine (which cost 10th of the licence-fee for Unreal).
Lang talks about it here: Matt Chat 377: Tim Lang on the Tragic Tale of Might & Magic IX (start: 15min) (EDIT: ->> Tim did a far better interview with 3AM Gaming which unfortunately isn't available anymore)
Also, Matt Chat 378: Tim Lang on the M&M Legacy (fun fact: JVC didnt like the sub-title 'Writ of Fate', thought it was too fancy).

However, IX is actually a fun-game systems wise. It had great character progression, tons of items and revamped encounter-design (fewer but more 'intelligent' enemies, i.e. certain enemies circled around you and liches revives others etc.).
I completed it after full play-throughs of VI, VII and VIII, and honestly thought it was better than the latter (which didnt really bring much new stuff to the table).
See my review for Felipe's book here:

Tried the demo, picked up a quest, went into the nearest shop (which required a load time for some reason...) then loaded back out into town and fell through the world.

Yea. Good demo.

Maybe your Fly-spell just backfired? Happens to newbie parties

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished MM3 - MMX except IX, the thing that broke me was when I got Divine intervention which healed all my party to full health and all my mana to full. I placed it on autocast so every turn everybody would just heal to full and you can do that without any limit, pretty much decided the game was beyond redemption after a couple of minutes of playing like that.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Dungeon design was the only thing that was good about MM IX, it was not enough to make it a playable game. I do like this demo a bit but its just an early tech demo. It would have to develop some before I commit and be the game IX was not, A fun one.

Mightmagic

Augur
Might & Might IX was not bad because of some core design flaw. It's the exact same gameplay loop as VI-VIII. The problem was the game was rushed out the door in what can only be described as a pre-alpha build for release. With the hindsight of a couple decades of patches, it's no more a downgrade than VII was in relation to VI, or VIII was in relation to VII. And it's still one of only games (along with it's predecessors) that lets you actually become a Lich. Point being, the problem with MM9 is the same problem that plagued any number of games that came out in that time-period, which is that it simply wasn't finished when it was pushed out the door by a greedy publisher.

Ooooobviously IX was not a 'bad game' because Lang set out to make it so. Actually, he did his very best in an impossible situation: trying to create a M&M sequel while JVC was absent under the extreme pressure of 3DO management. They were nearing bankruptcy, and the game was basically made with impossible deadlines and rushed out the door in Alpha-state (if even that). Not to mention being forced to use the Lithtech engine (which cost 10th of the licence-fee for Unreal).
Lang talks about it here: Matt Chat 377: Tim Lang on the Tragic Tale of Might & Magic IX (start: 15min) (EDIT: ->> Tim did a far better interview with 3AM Gaming which unfortunately isn't available anymore)
Also, Matt Chat 378: Tim Lang on the M&M Legacy (fun fact: JVC didnt like the sub-title 'Writ of Fate', thought it was too fancy).

However, IX is actually a fun-game systems wise. It had great character progression, tons of items and revamped encounter-design (fewer but more 'intelligent' enemies, i.e. certain enemies circled around you and liches revives others etc.).
I completed it after full play-throughs of VI, VII and VIII, and honestly thought it was better than the latter (which didnt really bring much new stuff to the table).

Tried the demo, picked up a quest, went into the nearest shop (which required a load time for some reason...) then loaded back out into town and fell through the world.

Yea. Good demo.

MMIX own the worst level design of the serie and one of the worst graphics of series with M&M VIII. Very bad game for all.
The pinnacle of M&M6 to 9 3d real time and not the good.
M&M III, IV, V are my best rpgs. M&M 9 is one of the worst for myself.

The impossible situation is not the problem for M& IX because even with more time, M&M IX would be very bad. It's not simply the surface that was bad but the core.

Diggfinger

Arcane

Yea. Good demo.

MMIX own the worst level design of the serie and one of the worst graphics of series with M&M VIII. Very bad game for all.

The impossible situation is not the problem for M& IX because even with more time, M&M IX would be very bad. It's not simply the surface that was bad but the core.

But did you ever play the game?
Sure, graphics suck donkey-ass but the systems are solid. It captures the spirit of the old games in terms of joyful leveling.

Timbecile

Dungeonbyte Softworks
Developer
Thanks guys! your lovely comments have warmed my heart! Especially pointing out the Unity Knight. He was going to be temporary, but I think I might make him a permanent fixture in your honor.

Whoever said zero budget was right. I'd give him a prize, but I don't have a budget for it. I'm doing the game entirely by myself because you can't trust anyone to work for you when you can't pay them. (see previous remarks on the vaporware - people help until they get bored or annoyed and then quit.)

I have nothing more to add on the Might and Magic 9 comments. We all already know how shitty that game was.

So thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to hearing you continue to lather me with praise!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So vanilla IX or fan service patches. Er i mean fanmade patches. I don't need lich lap dances no matter what my avatar suggests. Nor this ad that keeps popping up everywhere i go.
SY5kcq4.jpg
And what's with playing monsters and weird races? Do people envision this?
AWhMY1Y.jpg

Off to the faerie forest monster orgie.
Lordy my mind is messed up today. I can handle the combat with pause but if its solid real time forget it. I'm not even going to try a party in solid real time. I had a fuck of a time managing Drakkhen.

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
Looks like it could be one of those "so incredibly bad that it becomes good" things. Like, not good because the story is good or the gameplay or the graphics or the sound or the design or the technical implementation or anything that actually matters, but because we might get a few good Youtube videos making fun of it.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thanks guys! your lovely comments have warmed my heart! Especially pointing out the Unity Knight. He was going to be temporary, but I think I might make him a permanent fixture in your honor.

Whoever said zero budget was right. I'd give him a prize, but I don't have a budget for it. I'm doing the game entirely by myself because you can't trust anyone to work for you when you can't pay them. (see previous remarks on the vaporware - people help until they get bored or annoyed and then quit.)

I have nothing more to add on the Might and Magic 9 comments. We all already know how shitty that game was.

So thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to hearing you continue to lather me with praise!

TOP CONTENDER FOR BEST 1st POST EVAH

giphy.gif

Diggfinger

Arcane
So vanilla IX or fan service patches. Er i mean fanmade patches. I don't need lich lap dances no matter what my avatar suggests. Nor this ad that keeps popping up everywhere i go.
SY5kcq4.jpg
And what's with playing monsters and weird races? Do people envision this?
AWhMY1Y.jpg

Off to the faerie forest monster orgie.
Lordy my mind is messed up today. I can handle the combat with pause but if its solid real time forget it. I'm not even going to try a party in solid real time. I had a fuck of a time managing Drakkhen.

Just play the GOG version. I completed the entire game without one single crash/notable bugs

Mightmagic

Augur

Yea. Good demo.

But did you ever play the game?
Sure, graphics suck donkey-ass but the systems are solid. It captures the spirit of the old games in terms of joyful leveling.
Yes, I have played M&M IX like M&M 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 10 and it's why I can said it's one the worst rpg of the series for myself. There are lots of problem in this game and graphics is nearly the problem the less important even if this game is very ugly.

Timbecile

Dungeonbyte Softworks
Developer
Yes, I have played M&M IX like M&M 2,3,4,5,6,7 and 10 and it's why I can said it's one the worst rpg of the series for myself. There are lots of problem in this game and graphics is nearly the problem the less important even if this game is very ugly.

You didn't play 8? Neither did I TBH. I've heard good things and bad things about it. I probably should dig it out and play it one of these days.

As for MM9, it was definitely the worst of the series, though I had some big huge ideas for it at the time (just not the support or finances from 3DO). We knew we were under the time-gun so we had to cut things where we could, which included the art. I gave the artists a pretty limited polygon budget because we were already pushing the boundaries of what Lithtech could do, and Jon always wanted us to have lower minimum specs.

Bottom line is that some people enjoyed it despite its issues. If you're brave enough to slog through it, you might enjoy the mechanics that lay under the dogshit. I can tell you that under the hood it's systematically nearly identical to MM7 so it might be fun for you. But if you don't want to risk it, let it be. Life is too short to do stuff that doesn't make you happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
How can someone develop game x+1 without ever playing x? explains a lot of things.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I'm still looking forward to that 6-8 all-in-one-pet project. It isn't a favorite engine and i lke 3-Xeen mechanics over it, but I've played worse (usually older games).

Diggfinger

Arcane
How can someone develop game x+1 without ever playing x? explains a lot of things.

I know, right?
I mean, it's not like the man was actually part of the development team for VI and VII:hahano: oh wait, he was.
Anyway:roll:

8 almost had no new features over the previous games (besides marking the trainers on the map, which was nice). Engine-wise etc. it was the same game, with a few new classes thrown in, so playing it before making IX is not nonessential IMO (Besides, surely Timbecile didnt have unlimited time to play huge games given the time pressure the team was under).

Moreover, IX's story relies on the mythology of a Nordic pantheon and their Gods and structure a kind of fantasy-world based on Scandinavia around it, thus parting from the fantasy/sci-fi aspirations of previous titles.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Whenever a new might and magic game came out I would be excited to play it, I might have found out later when playing it that it sucks but at least I was passionate about it. I would assume a developer of a sequel would be much more passionate / knowledgeable about the series than me.

Diggfinger

Arcane
I finished MM3 - MMX except IX, the thing that broke me was when I got Divine intervention which healed all my party to full health and all my mana to full. I placed it on autocast so every turn everybody would just heal to full and you can do that without any limit, pretty much decided the game was beyond redemption after a couple of minutes of playing like that.

So you didn't even finish 1&2? Clearly not the connoisseur you're made out to be :roll:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Timbecile

I have two legit questions. First being: why 'brap games'?

The second question is why you chose to go for 3D when you know your budget is so slim. Wouldn't it not only be easier to go for static images of enemies and labyrinthine levels in either 3D or 2D but also more cost effective? If you contracted an artist to churn out some monster sprites for you wouldn't they look better than these 3D models? Basically, wouldn't it make more sense to emulate the earlier Might and Magic games?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Go back to MM1-2 format or 3-Xeen (or XL) instead? How about more like HOMM 1-3 tactical rpg with hexes? (But not massive armies though I did like Disciples of Steel final battle).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom