Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie budget game you'd make if you could

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Imagine you can make games.

Please describe what are the titles that you'd make on a budget of $30-50k, i.e. games like Serpent in the Staglands, Age of Decadence, etc.

You can use existing games and say what you'd improve. You can mash two or three existing games into one. Go wild.

If you go over budget with your description, I'll tell you.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Neither AoD or Serpent are 30-50k games. Authors working for free/future does not mean their work is not being counted, not to mention that volounteers are very, very difficult to find. Even paying people does not always guarantee them working well, so yeah.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Neither AoD or Serpent are 30-50k games. Authors working for free/future does not mean their work is not being counted, not to mention that volounteers are very, very difficult to find. Even paying people does not always guarantee them working well, so yeah.
Sure. In my hypothetical scenario, you can code yourself, but need to outsource 2d/3d art. The rest you have to do yourself (animations if it's 3d, music, sounds, game design, scenario, etc).

In which case both games can be completed on that budget, albeit taking a long time.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Sometimes I think about making a hard scifi single character "blobber" rpg with glorious pixel graphics. A kind of super-Xenomorph, with deeper gameplay systems.

xenomorph_34.png
xenomorph_15.png
xenomorph_14.png

Swigen

Arbiter
I’d make a contemporary isometric turn-based rpg with C&C, sex and gore. I think the dude that was asking about games where you start a cult had a neat idea. That’s what I’d make. You could have it be a suicide cult, or exploit people for money or sex or maybe stockpile weapons to start your own free state. There’s a lot of potential there.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
7,62 High Calibre or Marauder - Man of Prey, just with more content and game world. Spend money on removing bugs because hoo boy, they sure have a lot of them

A Boy and his Dog as a game, with Doom/Build/Quake level graphics.
so basically - Ashes 2063 but without dog?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Beat-'em-up with the premise that President Trump has been kidnapped by time-traveling terrorists and to save him the United States has summoned the four greatest presidents from history: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Ronald Reagan. Up to 4 players can play simultaneously, choosing from these four characters, and the levels will take place at various times in American history with suitable villains. Game mechanics, graphics, and sound similar to beat-'em-ups from their golden era:

652290-golden-axe-the-revenge-of-death-adder-arcade-screenshot-dwarves.png
662874-knights-of-the-round-arcade-screenshot-now-i-have-horse.png

670680-dungeons-dragons-tower-of-doom-arcade-screenshot-the-troll.png
670648-dungeons-dragons-shadow-over-mystara-arcade-screenshot-the.png

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Rogue Legacy but with a more serious tone & gfx ala Golden Axe 3, Moonstone.

SniperHF

Arcane
Originally I had conceptualized a sequel to one of my mods for D:OS that would be something akin to Dragon Commander's abstract strategy layer but with RPG gameplay instead of RTS gameplay. So it would be something like Expeditions Conquistador but with more robust exploration, quests, and party management and not supply management and such. But the difference from the Expeditions games would be that like Dragon Commander there would be other AI actors on the strategy map actively moving against you instead of waiting for you to move on them.

So I'd make that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Scifi Wizardry-like where you explore abandoned generation ships drifting in the void between the stars and try to solve what happened to the missing populations

Wizardry-like taking place far in the future inspired by Hodgeson's Night Land with a light mechanic. Everything is dark usually and only when you use rare consumable you can light up the creatures lurking around, who then will show their horrifying look

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
so basically - Ashes 2063 but without dog?

Kind of, yeah. Ashes was great! I'd have less focus on the shooting and more on trying to get into places and survival, like gathering resources at a location before moving on to the next. Dog would be optional.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizardry IV-based blobber:
  • instead of an adventuring party, you control a main character commanding a small army of recruited henchmen/monsters, battling other small warbands/armies;
  • set in a fairly open world with multiple points of interest instead of confined in a single dungeon;
  • Ultima V-style puzzles / discovery, allowing you to find deeper secrets of the world;
  • normal difficulty level instead of trying to be The Hardest Game Ever.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd make Jagged Alliance 40k, CSM vs SM. They are throwing the license at everyone anyway.
But I know it's what the masses want since I'm not a retarded suit that thinks that some sort of overly flashy innovation is needed to make a successful 40k game. Bloody, gritty, GRIMDARK, combat, with DLCs adding other races and mechanics. Good animations on melee and weapons, make them have impact and weight. Seriously, it's not that hard.

i have some intriguing ideas i'd like to explore with a sci-fi mount & blade, easily tweakable to be at the same time single player, multi, moba, last man standing or whatever else you could want from a fps.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very small open world TB RPG, with complete focus on AI. AI controlled enemy parties that have same goals as yours etc. Bring something fresh in the genre

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I've had an idea for a Roman-era card based strategy game for a long time. 2D map, family trees and decision cards for period politics and Risk-style map and units for strategy and empire building. Basically a cross between Crusader Kings, Alea Jacta Est, and Gwent. I think if you stayed away from 3D, limited the battles and character plays to the card system, one could probably get that done at the indie level with a fairly cheap budget. Give the game scope a few hundred years to enjoy building a Roman dynasty and go conquering.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd love to create a click and point adventure.
No money in it nowadays, right Blackthorne ?

Yeah, it's very difficult to many any money in it. I mean, it's possible - Wadget Eye is doing it, of course, but it's difficult. We still haven't broken even on Quest for Infamy, let alone Order of the Thorne.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom