Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much time must I waste on a game before I can rate?

How much time must I put into a game to know if its bad or good?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I've seen codexers rate a game shit after 40-60 hrs, only to be called retards for wasting their lives in a game they hate. I've seen codexers who've spent <10 hrs in a game told they have no right to speak. I've also seen those who've wisely spent no time at all in games we hate because we don't have to. From my experience, only aspies think they need reasons to love or hate a game, or that the world cares what those reasons were to begin with. And these sub-humans actually believe the brain works that way, which is so annoying, when its proven real Men show partiality first, then may build up reasons for their prejudice after the fact. If they do so give a fuck. So how much time must I waste in a game before I can say "this sucks" or "this is fabulous"?

Egosphere

Arcane
I don't know. To standardize this, you might try looking up the game's overall length and then try to play a third of the way through. If the game isn't enjoyable by that point, then leave it.

thesecret1

Arcane
If the game fails to hook you in the frst hour or two, it's bad. It is the game's job to hook you, not your to suffer through shit to get to the "good parts". With books, this is a clearly estabilished phenomenon – it's why they often contain an action-packed "prologue" whose only purpose is to show "it's gonna be great guise, I promise" before the first chapter brings a slow introduction to the world. If a game comes front-loaded with boring shit and people rate it as such, the dev has only himself to blame.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I can tell if it's shit by looking at its steam page. That's for a 100% accuracy.

With a 99% degree of accuracy, I can just tell you that it's shit right now, no matter what game you're thinking of.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Depends if the hours spent are continuous. Playing a game straight through for 3 or 4 hours at a time and skipping basic bodily functions is a good indicator. Usually one does not skip taking a shit to keep playing shit games.

typical user

Arbiter
Depends. If you want to elaborate and form a definitive opinion and what everyone will feel and how the game factually plays then around 100-200 hours. If you don't care then as much as 1-4 hours to get general feel of the game. But the best is to beat it to know exactly what is the quality from start to end which again depends on the length of the product.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For me it's 10 hours. A lot of games are front loaded, so they hook you in with the good stuff straight away and then 10 hours later you realise it's blown it's load and you're just going to be repeating that 10 hours another 5 times to finish it. Yes, I am looking at you Mr Ubisoft.

So many games I've started and thought they might be alright, but then between 5 and 10 I lose all interest when the boredom hits.

You shouldn't have to fucking earn enjoyment. If a game sucks right off the bat, ditch it. I hate these people who try to defend stuff like Final Fantasy XIII by saying stuff like "The game starts to get good around the 20 hour mark!"

Codex Year of the Donut
You shouldn't have to fucking earn enjoyment. If a game sucks right off the bat, ditch it. I hate these people who try to defend stuff like Final Fantasy XIII by saying stuff like "The game starts to get good around the 20 hour mark!"
Spoken like a true person who will never know the joy of dwarf fortress

Puteo

Learned
You only need 1 hour to tell if it's shit but you need at least 10 hours to be able to tell if it's good.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I don't know, ask longtime WoW players, they're still trying to find if the game is good

Tehdagah

Arcane
If the game fails to hook you in the frst hour or two, it's bad. It is the game's job to hook you, not your to suffer through shit to get to the "good parts". With books, this is a clearly estabilished phenomenon – it's why they often contain an action-packed "prologue" whose only purpose is to show "it's gonna be great guise, I promise" before the first chapter brings a slow introduction to the world. If a game comes front-loaded with boring shit and people rate it as such, the dev has only himself to blame.
Not really, some gameplay mechanics take a while to develop.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
If you genuinely feel something is garbage after 10mins, its garbage -For You!
You might be called retard if you bought something without doing any research though....

KK1001

Arbiter
Really bad games reveal themselves right away. Mediocre or just meh games - you need to play those past the point where the novelty of the whole experience wears off. That's when great games shine.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's a Goldilocks zone you need to be in in order to make a valid discernment and it varies for each game. If you come up too little then you just haven't played it enough, too much and you secretly enjoy it.

And that's not even mentioning variables such as communities or patch numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom