Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darkzone

Arcane
Sadly the Barbarian is the weakest melee fighting class,
Crom laughs at you from his mountain.
Not if i show him the math behind it and it pains me very much ( you will understand this soon than later ) to say that the Barbarian class has been nerfed in DnD 5E in comparison to the other melee classes. Do i remember correctly that you are a french men?
I have tested the Barbarian (Path of the Berserker, Path of the Totem Warrior) vs Fighter (Battle Master, Champion), Monk (Way of the Open Hand), Paladin (Oath of Vengence) and Ranger (Hunter) at Lv 4, 8, 12, 20.
The Paladin came on top in each Lv category. The Barbarian had a good run till Lv 12 and was very strong on Lv 4. Overall Avenger is the strongest there is, followed by the Battle Master or the Open Hand Monk.
The Reckless Attack was the worst thing to do against the Avenger, because the Smite deals dobble damage if you crit hit and 2*Xd8 on Advantage means buisness. On Lv 20 the Barb was no match for the Monk with his Quivering Palm. The additional attack of the Berserker was not so helpful as the Bear resistance of the Totem Warrior. So in aftermath i think that a Barb is viable as a tank, but not as a damage dealer since the Brutal Critical is not often enough. This is also why i suggest to give the Barb additionaly Improved Critical (19-20) at Lv 10 if a game goes beyond Lv 12, or at least a Fighting Style like the Great Weapon Fighting ( on avg 0,83 (1d12) -1.33 (2d6) more damage ).
Naturally the tested Barbs had used Greataxe and the Totem Warrior had the Great Weapon Master Feat for the Bonus Action Attack.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Gotta say I reread Kickstarter and realized there wont be additional classes unless we go over 100%. That's out of whack I though base goal alone will land at least 4 more classes.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Gotta say I reread Kickstarter and realized there wont be additional classes unless we go over 100%. That's out of whack I though base goal alone will land at least 4 more classes.

Except clearly there will be base subclasses which provide interdisciplines so no extra classes above the four is not a major thing.

Elex

Arbiter
Ranger is the only bad class in 5e, ranger beast master(the only one with a pet) is the worst subclass in the entire game.

Fighters are better ranged fighter than rangers.
Fighters are better dual wielder than rangers.

Favoured enemy don't give any damage/bonus to hit.
Favored Enemy
Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies.

You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures.
http://www.5esrd.com/classes/ranger/

Paladins: smite.
https://www.5esrd.com/classes/paladin/

Bards are great in 5E, and would be easy to implement. As many remark here, the Paladin is a cool class in 5E. I would be equally happy to see them. What I am more interested in, are having the archetypes of the "Core 4" fully developed first. Does anyone know if they intend to do the stock archetypes?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ranger is the only bad class in 5e, ranger beast master(the only one with a pet) is the worst subclass in the entire game.

I have heard that monks are insanely weak on 5e too.

I would love to see warlock and warlock correctly implemented. Not an "nerfed to oblivion" warlock like on nwn2. Think a little, warlock is only present on NWN2( nerfed as hell ) and on SCL from D&D adaptations. Wizards and Fighters, exists in adaptations since Pool of Radiance in dozens of games... And even on NWN2, mods like warlock reworked are a must have, but some invokations are still broken as hell comapred to PnP. For example, the implementation of Wall_of_Perilous_Flame. The duration should be cast caster level / rounds like on pnp and deal 2d6+caster level like on pnp, but by some reason, lasts only 3 rounds(18 sec) and deals 2d6 + CHA mod, making it not only far weaker than pnp, but also weaker than an Sorcerer similar spell. Wall_of_Fire lasts the correct amount and deals the correct damage. I never found an mod who manages to fix all invokations.

For races, i would love to see DRAGONBORN!!!

Except clearly there will be base subclasses which provide interdisciplines so no extra classes above the four is not a major thing.

Yes, is. I wanna throw eldritch blasts, mainly considering that resting looks very limited(din't rested on demo) and be an shapeshift druid is cool too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
s
how surprising

No, you are completely wrong. Most dumbed down games don't allow you to shapechange into an dragon(i can only remember nwn and pf:km who gives this options) and warlocks are not "press awesome" spam. They have interesting relationships with her patron, invocations, pact of chain, pact of blade, etc that are presents on 5e and are interesting exactly because are different than wizards/sorcerers. And yes, i think that games should bring classes/races that are rarely available on other similar games. Pathfinder Kingmaker should brought more pathfinder only classes like Alchemist and Kineticist, just like an game based on D&D 5e should bring more 5e exclusive races/classes and dragonborn/warlock is a popular pick. Wizard or any prepared arcane caster is present in so many games...

Eldricht Blast is amazing because despite being "just one cantrip" is extremely versatile, agonizing Blast + eldricht spear can make your warlock it into an "eldricht long range ballista", Repelling Blast can push enemies off(considering how verticality is important on Solasta, it would be amazing...

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really liked playing a warlock in p&p (it’s what finally convinced me to join my friends’ 3.x sessions), but the coolest parts of the class are hard to translate to a CRPG.

Someday, I’d love to see a D&D based CRPG where your PC can only play as a class with extreme supernatural affiliations. Paladins and Warlocks, maybe. Give the player a choice of 3 or 4 deities/patrons and then put tons of resources into making them feel distinct, so you have lots of interactions with the higher power that you’re in thrall to.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fuck all Charisma-based casters. Magic is for nerds only!

Witch on Pathfinder(closest class to 5e's warlock) is INT based. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/

And lets be honest. Warlocks, at least on 5e should be INT based. Their relationship with their patrons are more akin to master/apprentice than to cleric/deity. " Arcane magic in contrast tends not to come from a particular being. You might have a being with consciousness who's working as a intermediary. The warlock as an arcane spellcaster is a great example, of someone who has a relationship with an otherworldly entity, but that entity is not necessarily the wellspring of the warlock's power." https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/135-arcane-and-divine-magic-in-dungeons-and-dragons

Also, on fiction, most warlocks/witches tends to be very intelligent outcasts...

I really liked playing a warlock in p&p (it’s what finally convinced me to join my friends’ 3.x sessions), but the coolest parts of the class are hard to translate to a CRPG.

Depends. Eldricht Blast can be adapted easily. Mask of Many Faces, Beast Speech and other stuff are near impossible to "translate".

But only because is hard to translate, doesn't means that they should nerf the class to oblivion like on nwn2...

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Depends. Eldricht Blast can be adapted easily. Mask of Many Faces, Beast Speech and other stuff are near impossible to "translate".

But only because is hard to translate, doesn't means that they should nerf the class to oblivion like on nwn2.

No, I don’t mean the abilities. I’m talking about your pact with your patron.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sadly the Barbarian is the weakest melee fighting class, but for multiclassing it is quite good.

Fuck the rules, we need a real Barbarian, Isles of Terra style, either he attacks more or he hits harder, barbarians are not enraged rabid dogs, they're just strong and trained to kill.
That fucking rage thing is one of the most retarded thing that ever happened to barbarians and everyone feels obliged to copy/paste it.

Barbarians all around the world, unite, and say no to Barbarian rage!

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Sadly the Barbarian is the weakest melee fighting class, but for multiclassing it is quite good.

Fuck the rules, we need a real Barbarian, Isles of Terra style, either he attacks more or he hits harder, barbarian are not enraged rabbid dogs, they're just strong and trained to kill.
That fucking rage thing is one of the most retarded thing that ever happened to barbarians and everyone feels obliged to copy/paste it.

Barbarian in it's correct usage is a very relative term; you describe a person / a group of people who you believe to be more "primitive" than the group you belong to to be barbaric. To this end it is not a descriptor of an action such as Fighting, Preaching, Stealing or Magick-ing; a barbarian may do any of those things. As such I think it is not an effective name for a class, and perhaps is more appropriate as a sub-race (eg you may have a Barbaric Fighter).

Ysaye

Arbiter
Paladin still in the lead, nature lovers are getting shafted.

It's natural for Paladins to take the lead; rangers just go and hide in the bushes.

Instead of a ranger, maybe there could fighter sub-class called the Wanderer, which is basically the Eldritch Knight sub-class but with access to Divination and Transmutation (or Illusion) wizard spells instead Evocation and Abjuration? Mind you the Eldritch Knight sub-class would also be cool....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2627025

Paladins & Rangers of Solasta (+Archetypes)
By Aileen Rendyll, Loremaster of the Einarium

6dd6989ff4b5fd97bac9a8e3df6f9ff9_original.png

Paladins of Solasta are elite warriors who swore an oath to fight against evil. In addition to weapons and armor, they wield the divine power of their deity.

Between tours of duty guarding temples and other sacred places, paladins wander the world in a quest to spread justice and to uphold their sacred oaths. Bound to their faith by this unbreakable promise, they are granted divine powers and clerical spells, as well as powerful abilities that serve them in battle.

49dd30c12bcba95d6a34c8a0bf695acc_original.png

The Oath of the Motherland

Paladins who follow the path of the Motherland are generally lone wanderers who do not find comfort within standard religious tenets.

Having encountered the mesmerizing power of the volcanoes of the Badlands, they embraced the creed of the Motherland, and hope to restore the Badlands’ purity by cleansing them of monsters and turning the fallen lands of the Manacalon Empire into a new world – one of fiery brutality and pure wilderness. That is why they call the dreaded Badlands their Motherland.

Masters of fire, they worship Arun, the prime god of the elements, and consider the volcanoes of the Badlands as the supreme manifestation of his power. Their powers seem to embody the fury of the volcano in their very soul.

Oath of Tirmar

These paladins belong to an ancient order, inherited from the Tirmarian Inquisition. Some regard them askance, as they continue to be obsessed with the ancient archenemies of humans from Tirmar, from the time before the Cataclysm. Despite this – or perhaps, because of it - their creed remembers the pain inflicted by their suspicious ancestors on their own people, and emphasizes the need to be sure that one is not fighting the wrong people. They conduct their rituals in the ancient language of Tirmar and bear the symbols of the old Inquisition, but instead of the fallen god Arivad they worship Einar, the god of valor and fidelity.

Their powers are those of a truth-seeker, designed to bring light to darkness, to reveal hidden secrets, and to embody truth with their own voice.

Oath of Devotion

The “classic” paladin is clad in bright armor and fights for justice, virtue, and order, following the path of honor, courage, faith, and chivalry. Such paladins worship either Pakri, the goddess of the law, or Maraike, the patroness of healing and mercy.

Paladins of Pakri are vigilantes first and foremost, seeking to punish lawbreakers and support those who maintain order through the land. Followers of Maraike are healers and providers of comfort for the weak and the poor.

Their powers make them perfect fighters of evil, and the undead, and protect them from the dark powers of their enemies.

b6b04319a510b684683590952bd7fef1_original.png

Wanderers of Solasta’s wilderness, rangers are the kind of people who prefer to sleep out in the woods rather than in a town inn, listening to the sounds of nature rather than the chatter of people.

Trained survivalists and hunters, they are fierce combatants but have enough subtlety to be stealthy when needed. Excellent trackers and archers, they can also have the ability to cast spells that channel the powers of nature.

3e3faf8f3eac599ae37652685d549d7f_original.png

Hunters

Masters of the of melee and ranged combat, these are Solasta’s supreme predators. Able to track their prey for days through the worst terrain, they dedicate their whole being to the art of the hunt.

They develop a variety of combat techniques, depending on their prey of choice. Some hunt giants, while others specialize in fighting hordes of smaller monsters.

Marskmen

Heirs to the high elf archery traditions of the old Empire, these are undisputed masters of their art and the deadliest ranged combatants on Solasta. Their specialized training includes many different techniques:
  • Fast shooting, to react to opponent moves with a deadly shot.
  • Close quarters combat, to remain efficient at close range and avoid being cornered by melee combatants.
  • Arrow recovery, to avoid running out of ammunition.
  • Poisoning arrows, to defeat even the toughest enemies – although high elf historians deny that this was a routine tactic of the Imperial ranger forces.
  • Rumors have also been heard of rains of arrows, so far without proof.
Shadow Tamers

Used to wandering the desolated Badlands, these rangers know the lore and languages of darkness, traps, and the underground world. They walk without fear where others would hesitate to tread.

Simply put, a shadow tamer is at ease when others are not. The numberless hazards of the Badlands include darkness, monsters, rough terrain, bad weather, and chaos. Shadow tamers take all of these dangers in stride.

Heights, depths, darkness, monsters: none of these bother them. In fact, they make them deadlier. In the monster’s den, they are the greater monster.

82d06b4460352a2b750f04ebf16cbd5a_original.png

Voting period ends Sunday 22nd. Paladin is currently in the lead (not by much)!

Fuck the rules, we need a real Barbarian, Isles of Terra style, either he attacks more or he hits harder, barbarians are not enraged rabid dogs, they're just strong and trained to kill.

agree, I hate the rage shit. I never even use it with my barbarians anyway. They should be get 2 handed weapon bonuses and damage reduction and bonus with leather and hide armor and clubs and spears or something..the rage thing is lame as hell, but they want to try to add a magic spell to every class

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sadly the Barbarian is the weakest melee fighting class,
Crom laughs at you from his mountain.
Not if i show him the math behind it and it pains me very much ( you will understand this soon than later ) to say that the Barbarian class has been nerfed in DnD 5E in comparison to the other melee classes. Do i remember correctly that you are a french men?
I have tested the Barbarian (Path of the Berserker, Path of the Totem Warrior) vs Fighter (Battle Master, Champion), Monk (Way of the Open Hand), Paladin (Oath of Vengence) and Ranger (Hunter) at Lv 4, 8, 12, 20.
The Paladin came on top in each Lv category. The Barbarian had a good run till Lv 12 and was very strong on Lv 4. Overall Avenger is the strongest there is, followed by the Battle Master or the Open Hand Monk.
The Reckless Attack was the worst thing to do against the Avenger, because the Smite deals dobble damage if you crit hit and 2x Advantage means buisness. On Lv 20 the Barb was no match for the Monk with his Quivering Palm. The additional attack of the Berserker was not so helpful as the Bear resistance of the Totem Warrior. So in aftermath i think that a Barb is viable as a tank, but not as a damage dealer since the Brutal Critical is not often enough. This is also why i suggest to give the Barb additionaly Improved Critical (19-20) at Lv 10 if a game goes beyond Lv 12, or at least a Fighting Style like the Great Weapon Fighting ( on avg 1.6 more damage on the first dmg die).
Naturally the tested Barbs had used Greataxe and the Totem Warrior had the Great Weapon Master Feat for the Bonus Action Attack.
It makes little sense to compare D&D classes by having them fight each other, because D&D is not a dueling game. You need to look at their expected performance against groups of various monsters over the course of an adventuring day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom