Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Fucking Rockstar launcher. Fuck this shit. If companies don't want to give another store a cut, fine, that's cool. But sell the games directly on their fucking website. Let me pay there and download an installer in return. Don't require yet another fucking application on top of it.

Everything is fucking backwards. Desktop Applications that actually make sense as desktop applications (Office, Sketchup, Photoshop, etc.) are migrating to being web apps, and tasks that websites are appropriate for (buying and downloading games) are instead requiring a separate desktop application.

V_K

Arcane
Fucking Rockstar launcher. Fuck this shit. If companies don't want to give another store a cut, fine, that's cool. But sell the games directly on their fucking website. Let me pay there and download an installer in return. Don't require yet another fucking application on top of it.
But those installers would still have an always-online DRM in them, so it's not like there's much difference.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Most people want the features a client provides.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In one place, not spread across 8 or more launchers.

I'm sure most want that too, just like they want to only subscribe to Netflix and get everything. Companies aren't gonna play ball with that shit, for better or worse. So the point is (since people want client features) if they're going to do their own thing it's going to be a client, not some webpage where you download installers, like he suggested.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...to-get-you-to-install-its-new-games-launcher/

Since this article has gone live, we've discovered another reason to install RGL, though it's arguably not a welcome one. Rockstar has now mandated the launcher's installation in order to boot certain games available on Steam. I uninstalled RGL from my testing rig, then attempted to boot my existing Steam installation of Grand Theft Auto V. At that time, Steam automatically loaded the RGL installation process. Thus, there is currently no way to play GTA V without having Rockstar's new launcher active. Rockstar isn't the first to do this, by the way; publishers like Ubisoft mandate similar launcher requirements in their Steam games.

Review bombings incoming...: https://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/Grand_Theft_Auto_V/#app_reviews_hash

Echo Mirage

Arcane
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...to-get-you-to-install-its-new-games-launcher/

Since this article has gone live, we've discovered another reason to install RGL, though it's arguably not a welcome one. Rockstar has now mandated the launcher's installation in order to boot certain games available on Steam. I uninstalled RGL from my testing rig, then attempted to boot my existing Steam installation of Grand Theft Auto V. At that time, Steam automatically loaded the RGL installation process. Thus, there is currently no way to play GTA V without having Rockstar's new launcher active. Rockstar isn't the first to do this, by the way; publishers like Ubisoft mandate similar launcher requirements in their Steam games.

Review bombings incoming...: https://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/Grand_Theft_Auto_V/#app_reviews_hash

That has be the third or fourth time that GTA 5 has been review bombed at this point :hero:

Tehdagah

Arcane
They've improved tremendously yet it's still shit. 2-10h for what will be an automated response is fucking garbage, the message right after the first automated message is always automated as well, and only after that if you hope and pray enough you get a human response after maybe 3 days.
3 days? Sometimes it takes way more time. Valve's support service is abysmal.

The only client I enjoy being forced down my throat is Steam.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
vw9AJkI.jpg

Now Rockstar has an actual launcher thing: https://www.pcgamesn.com/rockstar-games-launcher?amp

The Rockstar Games Launcher is here, and it comes with GTA: San Andreas for free

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past year of covering PC games, it’s that players really love downloading additional launchers to play their games. Rockstar is the latest to capitalise on this beloved trend, and you can now download the Rockstar Games Launcher to see the results for yourself – and snag a free copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas while you’re at it.

The Rockstar Games Launcher works pretty much as you’d expect, once it’s installed from the official site. You can buy games through the attached store – currently including GTA5, GTA3 Vice City, Max Payne 3, Bully, and L.A. Noire – and run them through the simple interface with the benefit of automatic updates and cloud saves. There’s also an option to scan your PC for existing installs of Rockstar titles so that you can add them to your library here.

To sweeten the deal, Rockstar is offering a free copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to redeem through the launcher for “a limited time.” It’ll stick with your library in perpetuity, so you can say “aw shit, here we go again” whenever the mood strikes.

At this point, no publisher wants to give another platform a cut when it can just sell its own games directly – at least on PC, where there aren’t any barriers to making that happen.

In other words, get used to the Rockstar Games Launcher if you’re waiting for the Red Dead Redemption 2 PC release date – chances are good that this’ll be the exclusive home of future releases from the company.

latest

Greetings from the Humungus!

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
“Valve wants developers that are releasing on other storefronts to have a Steam page. They want their customers to be able to wishlist the game on Steam as soon as they see a trailer elsewhere.

I told you, it's still more of a promotion for Steam, then for the games. In fact publishers by agreeing and announcing the fact exclusivity is timed in advance got played by Valve imo.
It's less of these 12% cut D1P full price + DLCs later sales for them and more 50% off GOTY sales at 30% cut.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/kine...ng-on-other-storefronts-to-have-a-steam-page/

Kine dev: “Valve wants developers that are releasing on other storefronts to have a Steam page”
Simple. Valve is a business, which is not run by emotions. They want to make money, and the longer there is a storepage on Steam, the more wishlists and visibility that game gets. So after the Steam release, the more people will buy it, and making more money to Valve. And of course the developer.

passerby

Arcane
So after the Steam release, the more people will buy it, and making more money to Valve. And of course the developer.

This is how Valve sells it, but a gamer wishlistig a game mentally moves it into skip and wait for a sale notification email category.
It'll sure help to sell more on Steam, but I have doubts it'll help to make more money for the develeper than D1P on Epic would.
I suspect it also encourages many people to do neither, which they don't talk about. Overall it probably doesn't affect sales that much either way.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So after the Steam release, the more people will buy it, and making more money to Valve. And of course the developer.

This is how Valve sells it, but a gamer wishlistig a game mentally moves it into skip and wait for a sale notification email category.
It'll sure help to sell more on Steam, but I have doubts it'll help to make more money for the develeper than D1P on Epic would.
I suspect it also encourages many people to do neither, which they don't talk about. Overall it probably doesn't affect sales that much either way.
Oh you're right. I'm just talking about Valve's perspective, the reason why they are encouraging having a Steam page.

Codex Year of the Donut
When it requires as much or more effort to acquire a game as pirating it then people will simply pirate it.
A game that's already released but not out on steam is just going to get pirated, not wishlisted.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When it requires as much or more effort to acquire a game as pirating it then people will simply pirate it.
A game that's already released but not out on steam is just going to get pirated, not wishlisted.

Yeah. I used to pirate exclusively. Then I started buying from Steam, GoG, Humble, etc. Directly from developer websites when that's the only way to get it and the download is a neat DRM-free installer. itch.io for some obscure games only available there, it also has direct downloads of installers.

But if publishers want to push additional launchers on me that aren't Steam or GoG Galaxy, I'm gonna go back to pirating because that's more convenient than managing a dozen accounts and remembering the passwords for all of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom