Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Efe

Erudite
while i agree, i think the problem with your statement is the arbitrary numbers of %70 and %30...
it never works well to pull numbers up your ass, since when 2-choice is %30 simulation?

Neerasrc

Learned
while i agree, i think the problem with your statement is the arbitrary numbers of %70 and %30...
it never works well to pull numbers up your ass, since when 2-choice is %30 simulation?

Each topic is a controversial topic embellished with fine details. All these are mechanical developments in the game. It varies over time. Let me just say my own ideas.

"0" no speech.
2 options 30%
3 options 40%
4 options 50%
Dialog system %60 (complex systems)
Dialog system + events in the game+tags (Like being a hero in dos2. Or be a bad guy. You can be both. (opens two separate talk options)) open additional dialog options. (%70)
...etc
(%90) Artificial intelligence. In the future there will be games like "google" that will give us answers.
(100%) imagination. Unlimite speech.

Options that vary depending on the characters. (Dialog enters into the system.) (Dialogue as a human being is separate. When you become a vampire, dialogue is separate.) Mechanical systems are also included. Example: [lie] No I did not. "lie" is a system that can be developed mechanically. So it depends on dynamics like stats.

This is a very long and detailed topic for discussion. I'm just writing to give you an idea.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
why does a game about vampires even have lockpicking to begin with
you have superhuman strength, you could just rip the door off its hinges

While I basically agree with you and it annoys me a lot in all games where you have multiple weapons from axes to assault rifles and a normal wooden door can't be opened without the key, in Vampire the Masquerade you most often pick locks to not arouse too much attention, like to uphold the name-giving Masquerade and not reveal that you are indeed a vampire.

That doesn't make 100% sense though. First off all breaking down a door is faaaaar from a superhuman act, so unless people see you outright juggeling the door that can be explained away and shouldn't be much of a violation and what about doors in vacant locations?

Efe

Erudite
he is trying to quantify parts that make a perfect game at %100 and rate other inferior games with this quantification.
i think he needs to have a much finer point system and maybe some basis for the points (something solid like a codex poll, with exception of lady errors blobber polls)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feels way too gamey. I'd rather have a dice roll, and fill in the blanks with my imagination.

Nothing's more gamey than rolling dice. With randomized checks either skill investment is unnecessary (so why even have it or any locked objects?) and/or you end up with a mandatory timesink until you hit the magic number.

Neerasrc

Learned
i think he needs to have a much finer point system and maybe some basis for the points (something solid like a codex poll, with exception of lady errors blobber polls)

This is really hard. Because game makers (engineers) are constantly developing new dialog systems. Since each dialogue system can produce different results, authors work according to these systems.Accordingly, they write their stories. The important thing is how many of these systems are included in the game. As new systems are added, the game gets richer and closer to simulation. (It's like mechanically creating some sort of artificial intelligence.) What should be the ratio? You can barely measure it with a system like the one above. It also requires good analysis.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That doesn't make 100% sense though. First off all breaking down a door is faaaaar from a superhuman act, so unless people see you outright juggeling the door that can be explained away and shouldn't be much of a violation and what about doors in vacant locations?
How the fuck did it come to this. Now we're talking about vampires breaking down a door with an axe, but not doing it too hard or too easily because a normal human would take a few minutes to get through it, so a vampire would too. Vampires are sure tricky!

... Wait, where am I again?

Tigranes

Arcane
he is trying to quantify parts that make a perfect game at %100 and rate other inferior games with this quantification.

What a prime example of arbitrarily assigning a simplistic number system to a task it is fundamentally unsuited for, and then smashing stuff in until it vaguely fits.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Feels way too gamey. I'd rather have a dice roll, and fill in the blanks with my imagination.

Nothing's more gamey than rolling dice. With randomized checks either skill investment is unnecessary (so why even have it or any locked objects?) and/or you end up with a mandatory timesink until you hit the magic number.
Roll dice. Calculate results. DM tells you what happened.
VS
For game reasons, and game reasons only, consume three lock picks to reach on a stat check.

What about low chance makes things a mandatory timesink? If the chance is too low to be worth trying, then forget about it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
FNV but actually funtions, don't break itself every 5 seconds and the gunplay is trash without mods.
:shredder:
obsidian-902x437.jpg
:shredder::shredder:

Tigranes

Arcane
Funny how some people never updated their meme folder, Obsidian hasn't had a mega-fucked-up-buggy game in like ten years

Since then they've had (1) moderately buggy games, and (2) remarkably unbuggy games that also turn out to be streamlined pieces of shit, just wonderful isn't it

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Well i never had much problems with Pillars 1 , Deadfire neither Tyranny. And Deadfire i got day 1, played a fair bit and never experienced anything too crazy. The perfomarce isn't 100% but compared to New vegas, it's bug free.

And by all of things they said so far , Outer Worlds is having the QA that FNV never had both on Obsidian and Private Division part.

Danikas

Arcane
Funny how some people never updated their meme folder, Obsidian hasn't had a mega-fucked-up-buggy game in like ten years

Since then they've had (1) moderately buggy games, and (2) remarkably unbuggy games that also turn out to be streamlined pieces of shit, just wonderful isn't it
Bugs were replaced by mediocrity, Il take buggy game with cut content like Kotor 2 or FO:NV over Pillars of Boredom any day, and dont make me started on Tranny.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I would take Kotor 2 and FNV over Pillars anyday for them being 3D and not isometric but each with them on their own :P

Codex Year of the Donut

A buggy game is better than a half-finished game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have patience to fight against bugs if I enjoy the game but I don't have patience to fight against boredom even if it is functional boredom.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So we can conclude by Obsidian's trajectory, Outer Worlds will be likely modestly bugfree, but kinda boring and mediocre

Tigranes

Arcane
So we can conclude by Obsidian's trajectory, Outer Worlds will be likely modestly bugfree, but kinda boring and mediocre

Probably.

You wonder what Pillars would look like if it had been Obsidian's first game, Arcanum-style - or what it would look like if it were made 5 years later instead, when Microsoft has sucked it deep into its blobular mass and spit out Feargus's pelvic bones with a derisive burp.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
A buggy game is better than a half-finished game.
EIN7sNH.png
It's a matter of time x 1

Seriously, it's the age we live in now. Few games are actually done on release. Don't imply that Obsidian is some kind of standout offender here.

That's bullshit, lots of games get published relatively bugfree, both AAA and indie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom