Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Oh please, not this snowflake...

Who is the bigger snowflake, the Kotaku or the Gamespot guy?

Though I see their point somewhat, the game tries to handle its cores themes as inoffensively as possible and feels a bit bland as a result

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can debate with the Kotaku writer because she's bringing up a point that I disagree and we both played the game. As Grauken said, you can even give her some merit since the role-playing options ARE limited, although I think she's judging a game for what it isn't

But this dude just hunts for drama, he straight up admits he hasn't even played or bought the game, so fuck him. I'd rather interact with someone who hated GreedFall but actually bought and played than with that click-bait drama queen.

Either way, you could have been a lot more mean with that call-out, but were actually pretty nice with your wording, so thanks for that @toro :love:
For a moment, i thought i felt tears welling in my eyes with how much positivity i felt coming off of this sentence.

Then I realized as an alien Cephalopod living under the oceans i am incapable of crying.

Also

I can debate with the Kotaku writer because she's bringing up a point that I disagree

That's a girl?

Fucking Americans.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

It is a mentally ill person is need of therapy which Americans have now normalized to 'brave and empowered' even though gender dysphoria up until a few years ago was a diagnosis in the DSM manual of mental health. It is a chick with a dick, and I use the word 'chick' very loosely. A rather scary high percentage of game journos are trannies in comparison to their #s in the general population which is a fraction of a percent. 'Caroline' Petit (dude) Gamespot, Heather from Kotaku (dude), 'Brianna' Wu (dude), etc etc. Fucking degenerates.

This guy below use to be the stuff of nightmares, now? He wins ESPN bravery awards (Caitlyn 'Bruce' Jenner)

It is a mentally ill person is need of therapy which Americans have now normalized to 'brave and empowered' even though gender dysphoria up until a few years ago was a diagnosis in the DSM manual of mental health. It is a chick with a dick, and I use the word 'chick' very loosely. A rather scary high percentage of game journos are trannies in comparison to their #s in the general population which is a fraction of a percent. 'Caroline' Petit (dude) Gamespot, Heather from Kotaku (dude), 'Brianna' Wu (dude), etc etc. Fucking degenerates.

This guy below use to be the stuff of nightmares, now? He wins ESPN bravery awards (Caitlyn 'Bruce' Jenner)

Yes, but I ask myself, what would Napoleon do?

The answer is, "Never correct your enemy when he is making a mistake."

When a nation's men are feminized, the warrior caste dies, and the walls come crumbling down. History will repeat itself in the same exact ways it did for the Rome and the Thai empire.

So by all means my fellow Americans! Keep being brave!

Technomancer

Liturgist
bgzV9Ne.png

Stuff like that I just don't get. It's ok to reuse assets, everybody does it. But maybe at least rotate the models in the map redactor to make it less obvious..? Nah.

living under the oceans
The rock bottom? That's like where all the shit and plastic bags sinking to.

[EVIL RANT PART 1] Yeah i'm starting to hate this game. Thankfully i never paid anything for it despite telling people they should buy it at full price :troll:. I'm probably gonna go on multi post rants here. First of all, i am getting sick of the bleeding cunt that De Sadet is. I went with the female character because i wanted to stare at her ass as i played. Well the ass is just okay, nothing great but guess what? Every outfit follows the strategic butt covering philosophy. Thank you Anita Sarshitian. You deserve to be raped. Anyways i hate how much personality she has. This certainly means that this game is not actually an RPG in my books since the role is predetermined. I despise her voice actor and how she's constantly sounding as if she's going to break down crying. "oh ma goood! look at all this massacre *sob* how can you think of more fighting... *moan*... you are WOUNDED!" Yeah this was not how i envisioned my colonialist, purifier of heathen natives PC to sound like. Fuck her.

Charismatic the female de sardet is not. I guess i deserve the shit treatment for choosing the inferior gender to play as. Maybe somebody can tell me how the male voice actor fairs. Also the combat, while not as bad as some other eurojank, has some really atrocious flaws. Whose brilliant idea was it to have enemies whose every single attack will knock you down? Nothing more pleasurable than being constantly stun locked, right?

Anyhow, i will continue to play this game and bitch about it here as things develop. Expect multiple 180 degree turns in opinion.

PS - I admit, encouraging Siora to murder someone in cold blood was pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...developers_discuss_their_new_colonial_RPG.php

Colonial action RPG GreedFall has done decent business over on the Steam charts, filling a release void for choice-driven RPGs usually occupied by BioWare or Obsidian Entertainment this time of year. In the interest of discussing GreedFall's success, Spiders gameplay manager Sebastien Di Ruzza and production manager Claire Leger dropped the GDC Twitch channel earlier today to discuss the game's design and development.

In particular, the pair were able to discuss how Spiders was able to delay GreedFall's release to avoid major crunch, how the game's setting was decided and how the team changed its character class system from being class-fixed to a broad set of choices and abilities all players can acquire.

You can watch the full conversation with Diruzza and Leger in the video above, and if you'd care for more game dev interviews and select GDC talks, be sure to follow the GDC Twitch channel.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anyways i hate how much personality she has. This certainly means that this game is not actually an RPG in my books since the role is predetermined. I despise her voice actor and how she's constantly sounding as if she's going to break down crying. "oh ma goood! look at all this massacre *sob* how can you think of more fighting... *moan*... you are WOUNDED!" Yeah this was not how i envisioned my colonialist, purifier of heathen natives PC to sound like. Fuck her.
I wonder how much this was Spiders going cheap on the roleplaying options, if you can change the personality of your character, that means more dialog lines what means more voice acting lines what means more expenses, so they chosen the personality they thought most gamers (soy boy betas) would prefer. Other theory is that they don't allow you to be a complete ubermench colonialist because of controversy potential out of fear of the blue hair land whales and soy boy beat cucks that infest the gaming media , spiders games don't have a massive marketing budget and they don't have the money to buy out those turds and they could tank the game prospects. A third theory, is that the studio is composed itself of beta cucks and pink haired land whales itself, what wouldn't be surprising as the last time the french behaved like men was on WWI.

So, spiders or don't think roleplaying is that important to be cut like that, or they are shameless pragmatists without a single signal of courage on their spines or they are cucks themselves. I just think what people like Daniel Vavra could do with the setting of this game, less Disney pocahontas magical BS and more hardcore colonialism.

Anyways i hate how much personality she has. This certainly means that this game is not actually an RPG in my books since the role is predetermined. I despise her voice actor and how she's constantly sounding as if she's going to break down crying. "oh ma goood! look at all this massacre *sob* how can you think of more fighting... *moan*... you are WOUNDED!" Yeah this was not how i envisioned my colonialist, purifier of heathen natives PC to sound like. Fuck her.
I wonder how much this was Spiders going cheap on the roleplaying options, if you can change the personality of your character, that means more dialog lines what means more voice acting lines what means more expenses, so they chosen the personality they thought most gamers (soy boy betas) would prefer. Other theory is that they don't allow you to be a complete ubermench colonialist because of controversy potential out of fear of the blue hair land whales and soy boy beat cucks that infest the gaming media , spiders games don't have a massive marketing budget and they don't have the money to buy out those turds and they could tank the game prospects. A third theory, is that the studio is composed itself of beta cucks and pink haired land whales itself, what wouldn't be surprising as the last time the french behaved like men was on WWI.

So, spiders or don't think roleplaying is that important to be cut like that, or they are shameless pragmatists without a single signal of courage on their spines or they are cucks themselves. I just think what people like Daniel Vavra could do with the setting of this game, less Disney pocahontas magical BS and more hardcore colonialism.
Well i really don't care about their reasoning tbh. It's day 2 of GreedFall and De Sardet is still a bleeding cunt. This game is quickly shaping up to be my 2019's biggest disappointment. They should've went with silent protagonist and an expanded RP/dialogue. But you are right. The soyboys are the west's future. Can't wait for the invasion and when we get to own actual western slaves.

im getting burned... im sad i paid full price

honeymoon period due to giving me dagger+flintlock fighting style is over. Now its just a chore of constant trash combat + backtracking(and infamous spiders content gating... why bother exploring to find locked door and being forced to return later) + that thing with natives...
and by that thing I mean being forced to help them. Not that I dont want to as I always go for annoy all the factions playstyle by helping weakest party, but the way its forced on me is annoying. Setting is interesting on paper, they could easily make everyone grey as opposed to current black or white or clueless.
Im lvl 17, I dont feel that there is any char progression left. As far as firearms and one handed dex weapons go, there is no big difference - so no itemization differences. I got poisons/traps/firearms... now one can always get some magic for no reason at all.

Not sure for how much longer ill bother with this... I feel that im playing it still only due to price i paid. Know nothing about the big mystery behind all the issues and yet its telegraphed along the way so heavily that i can get the idea...
Never pay money for a western game. They are not deserving of your financial support.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
New videocard fixed my crashing problem, so hooray for that.

Incidentally, I think this is the first time in 20+ years of building gaming PCs where I was actually able to toss a new piece of hardware into a 5 year old machine and have it work fine with no issues. It's the first time the industry didn't throw out the old standards in that timeframe and force me to buy a new motherboard and thus whole new PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom