Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rain of Reflections - episodic dystopian adventure game with turn-based strategic confrontations

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Probably.

The game's aesthetics are far from cyberpunk genre: it looks like a mish-mash of generic futuristic aesthetics combined with stupid costumes from the new Deus Ex games (because nothing says cyberpunk better than inadequate clothing).

The second alarming point is that the game doesn't know what it wants to be: "unique combination of real-time and turn-based strategy, with RPG and even point and click elements" ... I'm sure they forgot to mention a couple of genres but Omikron this ain't.

Then there is more bullshit: "Every move and choice made by the player is permanent and will have consequences on the world and its characters" ... Sure, that's why the game will have 3 chapters with 3 different protagonists because real choices & consequences.

And the last point is that I don't see how a Swedish studio founded by a former game journalist can create a not-SJW-infested story in 2018. Call me Judas, but I cannot believe it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

Looks like they stopped calling this an RPG. No RPG tag at Steam page and just "dystopian adventure" in recent press releases. Probably due to overall linearity (despite C&C) and the lack of character development?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
axel-loreman-rorboatyard.jpg
\

axel-loreman-rorwasteplant.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

To celebrate that Rain of Reflections: Chapter 1 finally has a release date on Steam - September 20 - we're updating the gameplay trailer to better reflect the game's increased level of quality and polish.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's 3 hours long. The game is already dead. Only 1 streamer on twitch.

There are hacking minigames which simply lack any difficulty therefore they become boring quite fast.

The dialogues are voiced but the characters have no facial expressions. Meme stuff.

The much taunted C&C is actually about uninformed binary decisions.

The game's world is the Swedish version of a harsh and dystopic environment ... this part is actually hilarious.

The story is retarded. Fuck this.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking at the description is sounds like every other dystopian Sci-Fi ever. The rich hide in tall luxuries buildings while the normal man lives in the filth below, so not sure what you mean by "Swedish version of harsh and dystopic environment".
I would probably be interested in this if it wasn't so damn short. Think it looks pretty good and very Blade Runner-esque otherwise, with a pinch of Children of Men going by the story.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now a $10 game:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/695050/announcements/detail/1606021911894461106

New lower pricing on Rain of Reflections - starting now!

We’re so thankful for the warm reception of the first Rain of Reflections this far, and so happy to see that critics and Steam buyers alike seem to enjoy the unique adventure-strategy blend we’ve really poured our hearts into!

Ever since the release we’ve been actively engaging with you, listening to and reading your feedback, and trying to answer any questions you’ve had.

One major take-away from these discussions has been that the pricing for the different Chapters has not been motivated and communicated clearly enough.

So, starting today, we’re adjusting the pricing to 9.99 euros/dollars across the board - this will be the pricing for each one of the three Chapters individually, moving forward!

For all you early adopters/buyers (to whom we’re so very thankful), we will offer compensation for this sudden change in pricing. You will get to choose from one of these two options:
  1. A second, free Steam key for Chapter 1 (for you to give away).
  2. The price difference (7-9 euros/dollars) in the form of a Steam voucher.
We are encouraging you to contact us on support@lionbite.se with your Steam handle (with which you bought the game), specifying which of the two options you’d like us to compensate you with.

Thank You for your continued support and understanding as we continue trying to do our best, and – this goes without saying – keep listening to your feedback!

Last but not least, we want to take the opportunity to make a clarification of the Chapters.

We have three Chapters planned, each a full game release focusing on a different protagonist and their unique perspective and abilities.

The very idea is to have the Chapters stand firmly on their own, not depending on each other, while at the same time eventually connecting them together.

As we’re sure you’re already aware, the first Chapter, “Set Free”, has you playing Wilona with cloaking and hacking tools to her disposal.
Meanwhile the next Chapter, “Open Eye”, will focus on Dwennon in the cyberpunk-esque Cluster, and he in turn will offer new abilities and different gameplay relative to his character.
Then finally comes resistance fighter Imra in Chapter “Undercurrent”, starting off her journey in the Infrared shelter, the Root, bringing even more fresh locations and gameplay into the mix.

Part of the vision is always keeping it intense, fresh and moving forward – never overstaying our welcome.

We have so much exciting stuff left for you to experience, and we will start showing the upcoming Chapters off as we keep progressing.

Don Peste

Arcane
It seems this died after just one chapter, but it's currently $1 on the Steam Sale and it has quite positive reviews.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Decided to play it, even with the knowledge that it will never get completed. And it's a real shame, too. I liked it, nice story, with interesting turn-based mechanics. I wrote a review for my blog, which you can read here, or down below if interested.

Rain of Reflections is a point & click adventure game with combat in a turn-based mode. It was released by the Swedish developer studio Lionbite Games back in 2019. It was supposed to be a three chapter thing, but thanks to low interest, the game got unfortunately abandoned. So we only got chapter one, which of course has the game ending on a major unresolved cliffhanger. I have owned this title for a while now, I think I got it for one euro or something ridicules like that, and I thought it might be time to give it a go regardless of finished status. I’m not regretting that decision, the only regrettable thing here is that it wasn’t completed.

In the future, when humans can no longer have children, the last naturally born child have been imprisoned and experimented on to solve this cataclysmic event. You play as Wilona, a scientist involved in the research of this child, and I guess she has some kind of crisis of conscience because with the help of her friend decides to spring the child from the life of being a lab-rat. The only thing we have to go on here from Wilonas perspective is that this child “must be set free”, there is no real motivation to why what I picked up at least. I just assume she is doing this out of a moralistic viewpoint. The setting is dystopia, but not apocalyptic. Humanity now lives under some kind of corporate ruling, with cops ushered out for a private army style of security force. It’s all very sleek, and cool looking, at least where the rich people live, and as dystopias go, the regular folk, the poor people, are living in the gutter of the city. It’s atmospheric, and while I think the dialogue works, it’s very spartan, and a little drone-like, but that could be explained by the setting itself. And that it’s made by Swedes, we are not the most social of people out there, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that gets reflected on the characters.

Gameplay wise, Rain of Reflection is very fascinating. You could say it’s separated into three segments. First we have the point & click adventure part with you having to click around to inspect items, move and such. Then we have the turn-based mode, which takes place in combat, and finally the hacking mini-games for when you need to hack computers and other things. The point & click works like any other game of this genre, but the turn-based mode stands out. When you are fighting others, you are not initially out to kill them – so shooting at them, and even taunting them has a negative effect on their morale, which kinda works like a health-pool. When your enemy has been demoralized enough they will make an attempt to flee, and it’s at this point you can shoot to kill them, or just let them go. And for a board-game style approach to TB, this actually works great and are much more interesting than say nuXcom.

What this also adds to the game is a sense of connection to the narrative. Usually you have to murder tons of people in games, and the story very seldom reflect this. With a system like this, having the enemy flee when outmatched you can avoid having your protagonist become a mass-murderer. I would of course prefer a more realistic style to the combat, but for what it is, it was very entertaining indeed. Not to forget, it’s also stealth based, so you don’t actually have to fight at all if you are clever. You can stealth past all encounters, keeping your conscious even cleaner.

Then we have the hacking, which seems to solve every issue in this world, well, if you got the knowledge. The mini-games are surprisingly fun, especially the “ball” one where you have to guide a ball into a hole, with momentum management and everything. Who knew hacking would look like labyrinth in the future?

Sound effects, background noise, and music are all well-done. Nothing that really stands out, except one tune that from what I can gather was specially made for this game:

It’s really damn good, been listing to it on repeat for a while now, but it seems everything in this project, even the nice music, never really stood a chance. I wonder what happened here? Was it because of no marketing, too high price point? I mean, the game is very short, and looking at gg.deals it looks like it cost around twenty euro when it was first released. Might be a bit much for a three-hour adventure. Yes, the game is very short, but does have some differences on repeat play-troughs, not sure if that is enough, though.

I liked it, simple as that, but I also paid next to nothing for it. Even so, it’s sad that we won’t get to see how the story ends, or get more of this excellent TB-system. The visuals do also stand out, textures and such only lose some detail on very close zoom. Otherwise, the game looks fantastic, with credit to both style and technical aspects. A real shame it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom