Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Returns: Arcanum to Shadowrun conversion

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jason Liang on rape:

I've learned that if you refuse to take no for an answer, most people will eventually say yes. You just have to get people in a situation where it's impossible for them to walk away.

GoblinWorkshop

Barely Literate
I found this thread because it seems strange to me that there isn’t already a remake for arcanum... so I was searching the internet to see if someone was planning a remake or sequel... I would buy a remastered version of arcanum even if storyline and mechanics were identical but graphics were better and gameplay was smoother... IMO arcanum is one of the best RPGs ever to exist ( I know bold statement) ... no other game gives you this sad almost melancholic feeling from beginning to end (except torment; which is also badass)... you can really sense how technology was killing the medieval era and traditions; and it has to do with the music, the backgrounds, the script, the situations they all revolve around this feeling of; “these new guns are killing our old swords, and magic should be forbidden” all the petty encounters also revolve around this concept and you really get a feel for a whole world that is truly being affected by this huge change. Plus this is the only game I ever saw that had encumbrance like baldurs gate, Had a Beauty attribute, charisma attribute, a back story that affected some of your stats from the get-go, all the while allowing an open book for you to become magically, physically or technologically proficient based on your level up ability choices... the interactions with certain NPC were affected; like the order of knights would attack you if you were too technology inclined because Guns were killing their old traditions... so beauty, charisma AND your Tech bar or lack thereof would affect, create or prevent certain interaction within the world. I haven’t played something that has done anything this unique ever since... THIS CONCEPT This FEEL is the essence which makes this game... yes it’s world was inmense for being such an old game... yet I played through it ALL... I collected every schematic learned every spell wore every armor, wielded every weapon and explored every zone (granted this was years back) but I did it all because I was always curious to what new situation I would bump into next or what happens if I sneak in through the window instead of pick the front door lock? What if I just burn, explode or break the door open? What if I find a way through this impossible battle so I can see what’s inside of all these juicy crates and boxes? Maybe I’ll find a schematic for an armor or gun that I can’t use yet; but Ill make it my next goal.... arcanum; I wish there was a new version of this game with even MORE details and situations to explore, a longer main story quest line that maybe involved more of the side plot areas... which gets me to my next point...

Jason, I feel your passion for this project. And I also feel how all these negative comments and ppl hating on your idea have sort of dampened your enthusiasm for it... show them a mock up , make Time for this project ... shut them up, you can even call them all out by name afterward and call them retards and dumbfucks ... but you have to show it can be done with actions... show them that their talk and trolling, making fun and overall negativity toward this project was their lack of vision... show them their talk is cheap... but until then they can always say that your talk is cheap as well... I have no knowledge of game editing I am by all means a consumer, a gamer I have my own fantastic ideas and may someday write some books (bucket list) but I don’t have the skill to help you... if you show them the opening scene with the burning zep the little cave(s) to the side, the menial encounters with a functioning combat system in place browsable menu where you can see the functioning tech meter, spells and abilities with an inventory and equipped items that interact with the encounters even if they are only rigged to work on that one map and opening scene... you don’t have to figure the whole thing out just translate a cheap version of what’s in your mind into a playable map that you cannot exit out of.. this is how you will get people on board, they will believe, they will chip in and dare I say might even get troika interested in funding it as an experimental crowd test... that last part is wishful thinking but if your looking for community involvement and interest, that’s how you are going to achieve it.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I found this thread because it seems strange to me that there isn’t already a remake for arcanum... so I was searching the internet to see if someone was planning a remake or sequel... I would buy a remastered version of arcanum even if storyline and mechanics were identical but graphics were better and gameplay was smoother... IMO arcanum is one of the best RPGs ever to exist ( I know bold statement) ... no other game gives you this sad almost melancholic feeling from beginning to end (except torment; which is also badass)... you can really sense how technology was killing the medieval era and traditions; and it has to do with the music, the backgrounds, the script, the situations they all revolve around this feeling of; “these new guns are killing our old swords, and magic should be forbidden” all the petty encounters also revolve around this concept and you really get a feel for a whole world that is truly being affected by this huge change. Plus this is the only game I ever saw that had encumbrance like baldurs gate, Had a Beauty attribute, charisma attribute, a back story that affected some of your stats from the get-go, all the while allowing an open book for you to become magically, physically or technologically proficient based on your level up ability choices... the interactions with certain NPC were affected; like the order of knights would attack you if you were too technology inclined because Guns were killing their old traditions... so beauty, charisma AND your Tech bar or lack thereof would affect, create or prevent certain interaction within the world. I haven’t played something that has done anything this unique ever since... THIS CONCEPT This FEEL is the essence which makes this game... yes it’s world was inmense for being such an old game... yet I played through it ALL... I collected every schematic learned every spell wore every armor, wielded every weapon and explored every zone (granted this was years back) but I did it all because I was always curious to what new situation I would bump into next or what happens if I sneak in through the window instead of pick the front door lock? What if I just burn, explode or break the door open? What if I find a way through this impossible battle so I can see what’s inside of all these juicy crates and boxes? Maybe I’ll find a schematic for an armor or gun that I can’t use yet; but Ill make it my next goal.... arcanum; I wish there was a new version of this game with even MORE details and situations to explore, a longer main story quest line that maybe involved more of the side plot areas... which gets me to my next point...

Jason, I feel your passion for this project. And I also feel how all these negative comments and ppl hating on your idea have sort of dampened your enthusiasm for it... show them a mock up , make Time for this project ... shut them up, you can even call them all out by name afterward and call them retards and dumbfucks ... but you have to show it can be done with actions... show them that their talk and trolling, making fun and overall negativity toward this project was their lack of vision... show them their talk is cheap... but until then they can always say that your talk is cheap as well... I have no knowledge of game editing I am by all means a consumer, a gamer I have my own fantastic ideas and may someday write some books (bucket list) but I don’t have the skill to help you... if you show them the opening scene with the burning zep the little cave(s) to the side, the menial encounters with a functioning combat system in place browsable menu where you can see the functioning tech meter, spells and abilities with an inventory and equipped items that interact with the encounters even if they are only rigged to work on that one map and opening scene... you don’t have to figure the whole thing out just translate a cheap version of what’s in your mind into a playable map that you cannot exit out of.. this is how you will get people on board, they will believe, they will chip in and dare I say might even get troika interested in funding it as an experimental crowd test... that last part is wishful thinking but if your looking for community involvement and interest, that’s how you are going to achieve it.
'sup drog?

i'm all for the mechanics but would need another story, otherwise not even gonna pirate it :P

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm teaching AP US History this year so too busy at the moment

But idk my idea of what makes RPGs "fun" has gotten extremely radicalized over the past year, if I made the conversion now I would make a lot of drastic changes to Arcanum's rule systems since a lot of them don't seem fun to me anymore.

I would like to implement a thieving/ rogue system for the Shadowrun engine, including stealing, backstabbing, planting items, setting traps, etc... that and revamped weapons and magick system is all thats actually needed to convert the Shadowrun engine to the Acanum setting.

After that it's just basic map making and mission/ encounter design, which you can already do.

If you really want to contribute, just post your ideas about how you would revamp Arcanum's Magick and Weapons systems-
- Should we keep all the Arcanum spell schools?
- Which spells in each school should be kept, updated, or changed?
- Which weapons should be created for Arcanum? What are the capabilities and abilities of each weapon?
(for example, in Shadowrun, each weapon whether its a Katana or a Shotgun, has several special attacks. As we are converting from a simpler combat system [Arcanum] into a more complex one [Shadowrun], the weapons which is pretty simple in Arcanum need to be upgraded to fit a more complicated system)
- Should shields be implemented, and if so, how would they work?

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly I think you would be pretty constrained by using Shadowrun Returns as your base, and would be better to seek another engine elsewhere.

Indeed. There are so many better engines to do this on.

I also find it ironic that in an effort to ditch an engine filled with technical problems and bugs that someone would move towards something running on Unity.

Jason Liang

Arcane
last week I was looking at some new indie games being made with rpgmaker vm, and they were impressive. Especially the game Threads of Destiny looks like Arcanum but 50 times better. I had the thought that Vault Dweller should have made Age of Decadence using RPG Maker since its just a CYOA Adventure game at heart anyway.

I put two and two together just now. Why fuck around with Shadowrun engine? Why not just remake Arcanum in RPG Maker?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Especially the game Threads of Destiny looks like Arcanum but 50 times better.
ss_34b2972a464e0767b274443f4d794a2db2550f99.600x338.jpg

^- Threads of Destiny

There is no trolling like Codex trolling.

:salute:

Egosphere

Arcane

deama

Prophet
I think it looks pretty decent, though the portraits could use some more work.

mondblut

Arcane
I think it looks pretty decent, though the portraits could use some more work.

Yeah - with eraser. Along with the revolting "I AM JRPGFU" text window attached to them.

Actual game graphics look alright if this JRPG UI vomit were to be scrubbed.

eXalted

Arcane
Started reading this thread, skipped to page 3 because I wanted to write that even RPG Maker is better than the Shadowrun editor.

... and now I'm scared because it's actually already happening.

Andhaira

Arcane
Will romances be in? What about interactive sex scenes using steampunk toys...but if one of the participants is a mage then an explosion happens!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom