Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGs are you buying in October?

Which will be the codex fan favorite?

• Total voters

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Support your local communists. Invest in pikes today!

Jinn

Arcane
Already have a copy of Stygian coming from backing it on Kickstarter, but would have bought it day one if I didn't.

Buying Disco Elysium day one and can't wait.

Outer Worlds can fuck off until it's not an Epic exclusive, but I suspect it won't be all that great anyway.

This poll really should have multiple answers available.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm pretty sure the people picking 'none of them' in the poll think they're voting for which game they're buying, not which will be the Codex GOTY. These three games literally have no competition.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I still need to finish my current game - La Mulana - before I allow myself to play any new games. I started last year near Christmas time and the game has turned me into a brainlet.

I'm pretty sure the people picking 'none of them' in the poll think they're voting for which game they're buying, not which will be the Codex GOTY. These three games literally have no competition.
Legends of Amberland

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The competition are thousands upon thousands of games released since Pong

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Legends of Amberland
No one has heard of this game. It's not competition.

LoA is more niche, but so is Stygian and Disco ball. The only one that might have a slightly better traction with semi-casuals is TOW and only because its looks like a pew-pew game. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise

The competition are thousands upon thousands of games released since Pong
?

You always compete against the history of good games released. I still have a massive backlog with classics I never played that are more enticing than either of these three new games

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dude, I'm talking about the GOTY poll we have on this site after the end of every year. Guess that wasn't clear enough.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Oh, in that case, Greedfall

kidding, its

GreedFall

Last edited:
Odds are Disco's getting a D1P from me regardless of price, and even though I'm almost positive it can't live up to the hype I have for it and it'll probably be a crushing disappointment. Pushes too many of my buttons too hard to resist. Outer Worlds obviously is being skipped, and Stygian I'm really interested in but I'll hold off to read up on it more to get a better sense of when I'll want to drop money on it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stygian is supposed to be short—didn’t they say around twenty hours when they pitched it? We’ve got three whole weeks to play Stygian before we go DISCO.

Odds are Disco's getting a D1P from me regardless of price, and even though I'm almost positive it can't live up to the hype I have for it and it'll probably be a crushing disappointment. Pushes too many of my buttons too hard to resist.

Not only will No Truce with the Disco live up to the hype, I predict it will surpass the hype.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Disco Elysium is going to be so good it may redefine the way you look at RPGs. It may even redefine your gender inadvertently.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It looks good, but so far it looks like a slightly more interactive adventure game, so I'm not too sure about that

Last edited:
Stygian is supposed to be short. You've got three whole weeks to play it.
Odds are Disco's getting a D1P from me regardless of price, and even though I'm almost positive it can't live up to the hype I have for it and it'll probably be a crushing disappointment. Pushes too many of my buttons too hard to resist.

Not only will it live up to the hype, I predict it will surpass the hype.
I doubt it. AoD's my favorite filthy disgusting pervert fetish RPG currently, and I'll be really fucking surprised if Disco can top it. It sounds like it has the potential to on paper, because the whole skills/stats system sounds bananas and the kind of thing I'd absolutely love, but the actual execution of it is where I have a hard time imagining it'll meet my hype. I'll be happy to be wrong about that though, since if AoD's dropped down to second place for me that's a good fucking problem to have.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I changed my vote to none because I noticed this. I believe Greedfall will be a dark horse or there'll be no clear winner. Nothing in 2019 comes across as a modern classic.

Beggar

Cipher
Torrent Stygian and Disco Elysium and delete both of them just after getting to the menu section :positive:

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll wait till OW leave early access on Epic Store and will be released on Steam as a full (director's) version.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt it. AoD's my favorite filthy disgusting pervert fetish RPG currently, and I'll be really fucking surprised if Disco can top it. It sounds like it has the potential to on paper, because the whole skills/stats system sounds bananas and the kind of thing I'd absolutely love, but the actual execution of it is where I have a hard time imagining it'll meet my hype. I'll be happy to be wrong about that though, since if AoD's dropped down to second place for me that's a good fucking problem to have.

Look, I love AoD. It distills most of my favorite CRPG elements into a highly concentrated mixture—the game deserves all the praise it gets. But they had to make it on shoestring with, what, five guys? Disco Elysium has an even bolder vision with a lot more manpower.

Codex Intelligence has already told us something about the execution:

Prime Junta’s preview in 2017:
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10564

Tigranes’ preview a few months ago:
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11127

I’ve been following this thing religiously. Pretty sure I’ve read every preview, every interview, every devblog post, maybe even every random tweet from someone who got a chance to play No Truce with the Disco at a convention. Responses ranged from totally blown away (the Prime Junta end of the spectrum) to totally blown away but cautiously reserving judgment (the Tigranes end of the spectrum). That’s pretty encouraging.

Granted, you’re right, the risk here is all in the execution. They’re trying to do something insanely ambitious, so achieving those ambitions must’ve been insanely difficult. Kurvitz talks a really good game about how they’re revolutionizing the genre for the first time in twenty years—he says everything I want to hear—but that kind of hubris could also be a red flag.

I get the concern. Time after time, developers with great ideas promise us the moon and then fuck everything up. So I can’t blame anyone for being skeptical, or at least hesitant to jump on board the hype train at full speed.

When a studio’s ambition verges on hubris like this, we’re used to ending up with lots of broken promises, or, at best, a partially broken game that has some powerful redeeming qualities—the classic flawed gem. Of course, some of the best CRPGs of all time were diamonds in the rough, like everything from Troika.

But I’m convinced Disco Elysium will be a polished diamond. Why? Because the dudes and dudettes at ZA/UM appear to have spent a year or two refining and polishing this fucker, trying to make it as close to perfect as possible. They sound like extreme perfectionists. IIRC Prime Junta called them Stakhanovites—look it up, my benighted capitalist brothers.

My info is all second or third hand, but I don’t think they’d release this thing unless it’s great.

tl;dr these ZA/UM guys are too crazy to release a game that doesn’t live up to the hype. Kurvitz and Kender would probably just keep postponing the release until they properly executed their vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom