Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sony executives:

source.gif

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sony executives:

source.gif

Dude this game will sell like hotcakes.
This is MGS2 all over again.
Only this type there's no fake advertisement and he's already admited that, like MGS2, Death Stranding is some weird post-morden experiment. So instead of people taking the time until a MGS4 came out, to start calling MGS2 an understood work of genius, they are alredy sure that Death Stranding will be one.

this happens to all the japanese devs that hang out with american game-journos, they start regurgitating the chicken little bullshit

Except the guy had been talking about western politics (specially the US), even before he got famous.
One of the most important themes of MGS1 was about the way the US handled nuclear shit and goverment secrets. And then MGS2 dived deep into that rabbit hole.

Adon

Arcane
One of the most important themes of MGS1 was about the way the US handled nuclear shit and goverment secrets. And then MGS2 dived deep into that rabbit hole.

And then MGS4 made it all about some dumb anime shit about a group of people worshiping an uncharismatic character and the kind of ethically morally gray characters and political criticism the series had as a backdrop (keyword here because it's all in service of other themes) was thrown out the window. PW was no different and neither was V. Whatever Kojima had that made MGS1-3 sorta palpable as far as politics go is far removed from the Kojima of today. Everything he's made afterwards gives me the impression that he has childish impressions on the themes he's been trying to tackle. I expect Death Stranding to be no different.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If he is trying to portrait Trump in a good way, like a man who wants to connect and unite a divided country, Kojima is right. I don't think he can succeed, USA is too diverse with too many people with different ethnic and cultural backgrounds , but he is a good man.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well can't blame the guy for trolling both the fans and Konami for all these years.
When MGS4 was coming out, he has already burned out of working with the series. The only reason he made the shitshow that is MGS4 to begin with, was because of fan death threats and corporate pressure.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm moving from troll to sceptic. I doubt they have shown everything the game has to offer, and maybe the game works bettter than it seems.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Kojima isn't a hac-

CnGQFAw.jpg

This bothered me so much. Every game that was supposed to be the missing link, totally wasn't the missing link and after MGS4 (arguably even 3), there was no link missing in the first place. That game's epilogue did a WAAAAAAAAAAY better job at selling Big Boss as a sympathetic villain that any of the sequels and spin-offs.

But eh, Konami had to market their cash cow somehow.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Kojima is trolling as always, if he is telling it will get fun after 50%, it means it will never get fun and he only says that so you keep on playing waiting for the inevitable 'fun' that will never come, just like mgs 5 ending.

Tehdagah

Arcane

And then MGS4 made it all about some dumb anime shit about a group of people worshiping an uncharismatic character and the kind of ethically morally gray characters and political criticism the series had as a backdrop (keyword here because it's all in service of other themes) was thrown out the window. PW was no different and neither was V. Whatever Kojima had that made MGS1-3 sorta palpable as far as politics go is far removed from the Kojima of today. Everything he's made afterwards gives me the impression that he has childish impressions on the themes he's been trying to tackle. I expect Death Stranding to be no different.
MGS1-3 had a co-writer.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUST PLAY THE NES METAL GEAR AND WATCH THE OTGEDS ON YOUTUBE

Black

Arcane

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Kojima is trolling as always, if he is telling it will get fun after 50%, it means it will never get fun and he only says that so you keep on playing waiting for the inevitable 'fun' that will never come, just like mgs 5 ending.

Is it really trolling when you actually believe the shit you're saying?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Is it really trolling when you actually believe the shit you're saying?

hello Kojima-san, welcome to the Codex

Egosphere

Arcane
Well can't blame the guy for trolling both the fans and Konami for all these years.
When MGS4 was coming out, he has already burned out of working with the series. The only reason he made the shitshow that is MGS4 to begin with, was because of fan death threats and corporate pressure.

Wasn't he supposed to finish the series at 2? I think I read that it was the 3rd game that was already being forced onto him.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Wasn't he supposed to finish the series at 2? I think I read that it was the 3rd game that was already being forced onto him.

Kinda...
Like, he was "done" with the series at 2, because he didn't want to continue the plot of MGS2.
Then Konami green lit a MGS3 and in the begining stages of development Kojima wasn't involved at all. However the team that was doing that MGS3 was having lot's of difficulties with the project, specially where and when to set the game. So the higher ups told Kojima to take over the project and even gave him a more serious deadline unlike what he had in MGS2, but still he had total control of the project.
And that's the main diference. In MGS4 he was forced to do something he really didn't want to - that is to continue the story of MGS2 and make another type of game that in his mind he had already made the best possible thing with MGS3. While in 3, he might have been dragged to do it but he could do with that project something different he was honestly exicited to do - to wipe the slate clean of the bagadge of previous installements and do a bombastic action game with more focus on the gameplay and hollywood blockbuster spy plot .

Machocruz

Arcane
3 could have been the swan song for the series and I would have been fine with that. Although it got better mechanically, it never got better as a whole piece than in that game. It never got better on delivering the 'jap G.I. Joe' theme this series had. Wacky but fairly straight forward plot, cool boss fights, interesting setting, some good emotional beats, outstanding art direction, a sense of forward momentum throughout, perfect length, watchable cutscenes. One of the best games from what many consider the best console and peak console era.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
3 could have been the swan song for the series and I would have been fine with that. Although it got better mechanically, it never got better as a whole piece than in that game. It never got better on delivering the 'jap G.I. Joe' theme this series had. Wacky but fairly straight forward plot, cool boss fights, interesting setting, some good emotional beats, outstanding art direction, a sense of forward momentum throughout, perfect length, watchable cutscenes. One of the best games from what many consider the best console and peak console era.

Can't brofist enough. The only bad thing in MGS3 are the controls.

Adon

Arcane
I've always been a big believer of Fukushima based on a few things, but who knows how much or what exactly he's responsible for without any direct interviews with people at KP. If Kojima is to be believed, all Fukushima was responsible for in MGS1 (and 2 if memory serves me right from an old ass magazine interview) is the codec conversations. Maybe that's the only stuff he directly wrote, but I do believe his influence was much bigger than that considering how the backdrop for all games following his absence lack that same touch -- plus how politically driven Ghost Babel is (the one game he wrote himself)

Either way, to further my point about how Kojima thinks of this themes, there's this quote from Kojima at TGS

You know, human communication has changed as technology evolved. In the past, we only had letters. Then we had phones, radios and TVs. And now on the net, we can communicate in real-time with anyone anywhere. The world is now directly connected. At the same time, with everyone hidden behind their keyboards, this made it much easier for negativity to spread. With Death Stranding’s game system, I wish to indirectly connect the world. That way people will start thinking about each other’s feelings again. I hope people who experience Death Stranding will try to understand more about others and the society we live in, ultimately making the world a better place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom