Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how have Pathfinder and Pillars 2 shaped up?

S.torch

Arbiter
But at present is it better to play PoE2 with TB or RTwP?
RTwP. I sound like a broken record at this point, but the RTwP in PoE 2 is the BEST implementation of the system in any CRPG i have ever played, while the TB mode is a tacked on, imbalanced affair. Even if you are someone who hates RTwP, give it a whirl. Investigate the system and give it a chance and i guarantee it will impress you.

You're one of the few people in this forum that defend PoE openly :salute:

Vorark

Erudite
No idea, I don't own it on GOG.
You can find the thread about it here, the original post was from 2014: https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/1/617321352158723798/
more threads about it
https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/1/616198900645280907/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/1/142261352646763614/

Best part is that it can delete your savegame.

Thought it had been fixed years ago. Anyway, Steam and GOG builds are the same (version 2.0.9) so both are bugged...

Niklasgunner

Savant
I really, really enjoyed PoE 2. The combat is better, the setting is interesting, length is just about right and while a bit generic the choice with which faction you side with is alright. More and better unique items
Also visually, I much prefer the isometric graphics over pathfinders 3d style
28561522709bc23e.jpg

Beggar

Cipher
Pathfinder Kingmaker, latest patch: yesterday. It's just fucked up. How long will it last? First time I tried this game, save file got corrupted. Second time was half a year ago - item description AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME was showing f851Dc4554g1g4 (); script D45g4KLjL. Uninstalled and still waiting

Quillon

Arcane
Pathfinder Kingmaker, latest patch: yesterday. It's just fucked up. How long will it last? First time I tried this game, save file got corrupted. Second time was half a year ago - item description AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME was showing f851Dc4554g1g4 (); script D45g4KLjL. Uninstalled and still waiting

So Kingmaker isn't fixed yet? :D

Curratum

I still haven't played Kingmaker because I'm waiting for the game to go at least 6 months without patches so I know it's officially dropped and it is what it is.

I actually haven't played Pillars 2 either because I was waiting for the final release of turnbased but that turned out pretty dumb so... :negative:

purpleblob

Savant

Its perfectly playable now. That script issue just looked funny in game but was functioning properly (which was fixed ages ago). I'm half way through my 3rd playthrough and I didn't have any issues.

Ranarama

Learned

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Kingmaker has been perfectly playable for half a year now.
what about the forced failstates like when you lose an important councilman and there's no way to get a replacement?

Don't be a casual.

Exactly - if you're not going to spoil yourself with the wiki and a walkthrough, or reload at every minor setback, then what the fuck are you even playing RPGs for?

While the game did indeed have failstates early on, they've removed these since.

Lambach

Arcane
While the game did indeed have failstates early on, they've removed these since.

Would've been better if they gave more Adviser options than disabling that, tbf. Would've also been better if Adviser options made more sense (i.e. Tristain can't be the Grand Priest, Bartholomew, a hermit wizard who dabbles in vivisection can be a Treasurer (??) or Grand Diplomat (?????) etc)

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Would've been better if they gave more Adviser options than disabling that, tbf. Would've also been better if Adviser options made more sense (i.e. Tristain can't be the Grand Priest, Bartholomew, a hermit wizard who dabbles in vivisection can be a a Treasurer (??) or Grand Diplomat (?????) etc)

Fair point. The fact that only Jubilost will be your treasurer for a long long while is also stupid but I assume it has to do with writing extra dialogue for each companion and each council position.

But at present is it better to play PoE2 with TB or RTwP?
RTwP. I sound like a broken record at this point, but the RTwP in PoE 2 is the BEST implementation of the system in any CRPG i have ever played, while the TB mode is a tacked on, imbalanced affair. Even if you are someone who hates RTwP, give it a whirl. Investigate the system and give it a chance and i guarantee it will impress you.

You're one of the few people in this forum that defend PoE openly :salute:
To be fair, i'm only defending the game against a tiny minority of anti RTwP autistocrats. But yeah the games are amazing and i'm pretty sure in 10 years they'll be regarded as classics.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Will be there a PoE 3?

What's the word on the streets?

No-one knows but given the underwhelming reception of Deadfire it doesn't seem likely in the short term, unless Microsoft thinks it fits their Gamepass lineup.

One would assume they are going to do something with the technology though.

Falksi

Arcane
The main issue with HK is the writing bloat. It messes up the pacing, and that's what the Shadowrun games have going for them: they cut out all the usual RPG crud like inventory management, tons of trivial sidequests, and looting everything that's bolted on, all in the service of a fast-paced experience without any downtime or distractions. But then you can't do a 180 in your writing and have every dialog explore the most pointless drivel in 50,000 paragraphs that take 5 minutes to click through even if you don't read them.

Pretty surprised to see comparable assessments for Kingmaker and Deadfire, I thought the former was everybody's darling around here while the latter is considered an unmitigated disaster. Always interesting to see the amplitude of public opinion flatten over time.

Spot on summary of Dragonfall>HK

Couple of questions, are there any mods which trim said bloat in HK?

Also, how'd you say Dragonfall compared to Kingmaker & Deadfire?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I love Kingmaker, tolerated Deadfire and dropped Dragonfall after the 3rd mission because "I tired of reading, where the hell is my combat, character building and exploration".

Siobhan

Arbiter
are there any mods which trim said bloat in HK?
Not as far as I know, but it's been years since I've looked. In general the Shadowrun modding scene is more about mission packs built with the level editor, there aren't a lot of mods for the games themselves.

how'd you say Dragonfall compared to Kingmaker & Deadfire?
That's a bit like asking how a skateboard compares to a pick-up truck. Dragonfall is an RPG lite, deliberately so (for the most part; budget constraints and lack of programming skills were also a factor). It's very good at that, but it won't please anybody who's looking for a heavy-weight cRPG. Personally, I prefer tightly focused minimalism over the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach. But for the same reason I'd rather play Invisible Inc than Dragonfall. Take Dragonfall's combat, put it into Invisible Inc, and we would have had the perfect Shadowrun game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Would've been better if they gave more Adviser options than disabling that, tbf. Would've also been better if Adviser options made more sense (i.e. Tristain can't be the Grand Priest, Bartholomew, a hermit wizard who dabbles in vivisection can be a Treasurer (??) or Grand Diplomat (?????) etc)
I think Bartholomew changed a few times during development and was possibly a companion at one point. So it might just be due to that.
Would explain the lack of pure caster companions if he was cut, anyways.

I really, really enjoyed PoE 2. The combat is better, the setting is interesting, length is just about right and while a bit generic the choice with which faction you side with is alright. More and better unique items
Also visually, I much prefer the isometric graphics over pathfinders 3d style
28561522709bc23e.jpg
POE2 is a really really really nice looking game, no doubt about it. Its just too bad about their roleplaying game system they decided to use. But to me PoE2 is the best looking CRPG I can think of really, I just can't stand the game. I would be ecstatic to see the same exact graphic and art team work on a proper D&D game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom