Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
barbarians are the best tank some subclasses are litterally too angry to die.

another big thing is short rest class vs long rest class.

some class like fighter and warlock are pointless if you can’t make at least 2 short rest before a long rest.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No, I don’t mean the abilities. I’m talking about your pact with your patron.

That depends too. Because a lot of people assume that warlocks are clerics who receive spells like clerics(despite only deities being able to do that), an relationship between warlock and his patron is more akin to master/apprendice than to cleric to an deity. An interesting topic >
Why do people still think that your Patron is the source of your magic? https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/cl...do-people-still-think-that-your-patron-is-the

But depends the level that you wanna an "integration" with your patron. Can be just an dialog to an story changing important NPC.

some class like fighter and warlock are pointless if you can’t make at least 2 short rest before a long rest.

Not true. Eldricht Blast even at lv 1, is like having an heavy crossbow that always hit(and force is less resisted than piercing) and at high levels, with invocaions to boost the damage, can become insane. Certain things like Eldricht Spear had his range buffed from 250 feet(3.5e) to 300 feet(5e). Sure, WLK lost his ability to cast unlimited amount of "invocations" on 5e and are no longer more the invisible flying teleporting chilling tentacle eldricht horror, but are not useless. With preparation and long rests, an wizard is probably stronger, but in other situations, like when you need to fight a lot without long/short resting. WLK is better.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm both happy and surprised that this seems that it will make its , quite ambitious, goal.
I thought people are much more reluctant about KS projects nowadays

Darkzone

Arcane
Sadly the Barbarian is the weakest melee fighting class,
Crom laughs at you from his mountain.
Not if i show him the math behind it and it pains me very much ( you will understand this soon than later ) to say that the Barbarian class has been nerfed in DnD 5E in comparison to the other melee classes. Do i remember correctly that you are a french men?
I have tested the Barbarian (Path of the Berserker, Path of the Totem Warrior) vs Fighter (Battle Master, Champion), Monk (Way of the Open Hand), Paladin (Oath of Vengence) and Ranger (Hunter) at Lv 4, 8, 12, 20.
The Paladin came on top in each Lv category. The Barbarian had a good run till Lv 12 and was very strong on Lv 4. Overall Avenger is the strongest there is, followed by the Battle Master or the Open Hand Monk.
The Reckless Attack was the worst thing to do against the Avenger, because the Smite deals dobble damage if you crit hit and 2x Advantage means buisness. On Lv 20 the Barb was no match for the Monk with his Quivering Palm. The additional attack of the Berserker was not so helpful as the Bear resistance of the Totem Warrior. So in aftermath i think that a Barb is viable as a tank, but not as a damage dealer since the Brutal Critical is not often enough. This is also why i suggest to give the Barb additionaly Improved Critical (19-20) at Lv 10 if a game goes beyond Lv 12, or at least a Fighting Style like the Great Weapon Fighting ( on avg 1.6 more damage on the first dmg die).
Naturally the tested Barbs had used Greataxe and the Totem Warrior had the Great Weapon Master Feat for the Bonus Action Attack.
It makes little sense to compare D&D classes by having them fight each other, because D&D is not a dueling game. You need to look at their expected performance against groups of various monsters over the course of an adventuring day.
Dear Captain Obvious the most interesting monster are other classes or even other opposing players. I did it for a certain reasons, that are different than a monster challenge rating for a party encounter. And what i tested was a series of different tests and "letting the classes duell each other" was just one of them.

Ranger is the only bad class in 5e, ranger beast master(the only one with a pet) is the worst subclass in the entire game.
Fighters are better ranged fighter than rangers.
Fighters are better dual wielder than rangers.
On both accounts true. That was also the reason why i didn't even consider to test the beast master against other classes and presumably only a dragon pet would have saved the beast master against other classes on Lv 20. But before Lv 12 some pets may offer quite the help for the beast master.
The damage potential of the additional attacks from the Fighter is outweighing the colossus slayer and the hunters mark benefits. The Battle Masters superiority die puts him very close to the Avenger since he can use them from Lv 3 onward giving him one additional attack per turn with additional damage or even mitigating some of the received dmg or receiving advantage via Trip or Feinting Attack. ( The Battle Master and the Bards Inspiration die has changed DnD, but to understand this requires quite the capability. ADD 3 incomming one way or other.)
But what helped the Hunter was Uncanny Dodge and his Fighting style of Archery together with a combination of Sharpshooter and or Crossbow Expert. Since the fighter can also take this fighting style and feats, therefore the damage potential increases also in the same meaner, but this takes only place after the Lv 10 and before this the Hunter is not that bad.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I will just quote myself from another thread:
When I head that they will implement only 4 classes, I thought it will be: rogue, wizard, cleric, fighter (just like in demo) But now there a choice between Ranger and both Paladin, therefore other classes can be also choice and in the end party composition can be a mess, because people was choosing blindly, without knowledge what choice will be next. Or I missed something and there will be more than four classes?

Anyway there my personal cons and pros for both choices:
Paladin:
Pros-
1)Paladin can wear heavy armor from start.
2)Paladin has some good spells that relatively easy implemented in crpg without risking fucking it up.
3) Sometimes can be fun to role play crusader for holy faith (I know it sounds autistic in application to crpg, but still)
Cons-
1)We don't know details about moral code and it can be very retarded. Therefore, actions of paladin can hurt party or even kill everyone.
2) Paladin is an alignment slave (even more than other classes), he don't really has any choice in his actions and roleplay can become as real rail-road chore.
3) If some party members will act different than a paladin - he can betray them and justify it as moral code/ God's will commanded to do so (even if other members of party was trying to do a good deed)

Ranger:
Pros-
1) Good with bows.
2) Favored enemy - since in crpg enemies can't just appear from imagination of DM, there a possibility for certain enemies to appear in game more than others.
3) Less influenced by alignment and gods than Paladin.
Cons-
1) Rangers don't get heavy armor and I suspect that doing ungrateful job of being a "tank" goes to cleric (if cleric will be chosen next). Trade cleric spellcaster to ranged dps - imo not always good idea.
2) Can be turned by devs from bad ass monster hunter to mad weaponized tree hugger. Depends on devs view on ranger.
3) Abilities and spells of ranger maybe funny in tabletop, but hard properly implement in CRPG. Tree Stride as example.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Eldricht blast don’t auto hit.

There are ranged touch attacks on 5e? On 3.5e, it was an ranged touch attack. With the exception of the cone invokation and it allowed reflex saves and evasion/improved evasion. Anyway, on 5e, an WLK with the invocation that allow you to add CHA mod into your Eldricht Blast damage(Agonizing Blast ) at max level can deal ludicrous amount of damage. Assuming 20 CHA, it would be (d10+5)*4 or 4d10+20, on 3.5e, an WLK could only deal 9d6 damage without taking epic levels in account...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More social gamification: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2628039

Referral Program is now LIVE! Bring new friends, get fun items!
315afd696ab80bfffc94270bc3e4adf1_original.png

Follow me... To a world of wonders.

Solasta's Referral Program is now up and running! Invite your friends to the world of Solasta, and gain fun magical items if they become backers through your referral.

Note: These items are designed to avoid breaking balance, and exist for entertainment purposes. They are in no way required for the storyline or particular encounters.

So, how does it work? Read on, and click on the banner below the tutorial!

3a43fef53d87766bd59c5becf07e2e7f_original.png

Is everything clear? Great! If not, please don't hesitate to ask your questions below. Remember that the more people we bring, the more content we can add to the game!

Now click on the banner below to get started!

82d06b4460352a2b750f04ebf16cbd5a_original.png

Don't forget to cast your vote before Sunday 22nd. The gap is closing, the Ranger is not too far away from the Paladin anymore!

c2b6c1ca5f261cd5c1569ac3f6631073_original.png

Today we're featuring a Fan Art by PandaCoffee, who's drawn an alternate reality of Violet as a Warlock!

Also, remember the Spoon of Discord you guys unlocked for every backer? Here the icon!

29c8191d3f53d2515d8b314c4f1eccc3_original.png

As a reminder, here is where we're standing!

Next Rewards are:

• Short Prequel Story of the Main Campaign (PDF)
  • 4 Kickstarter Archetypes on D&D Beyond Homebrew System

Darkzone

Arcane
Sadly the Barbarian is the weakest melee fighting class, but for multiclassing it is quite good.
Fuck the rules, we need a real Barbarian, Isles of Terra style, either he attacks more or he hits harder, barbarians are not enraged rabid dogs, they're just strong and trained to kill.
That fucking rage thing is one of the most retarded thing that ever happened to barbarians and everyone feels obliged to copy/paste it.
Barbarians all around the world, unite, and say no to Barbarian rage!
In nearly all combat encounters the Barb has to go and goes into a rage in his first turn for the benefits and this makes the rage an unnecessary thing. Therefore my group has already agreed upon that the Barb has always the benefits without declaring that he is raging, especially since there are no negative effects because of raging like in the previous DnD 3.5E . Making the Barb just a tough and strong (bodily) warrior running around with naked upper body showing off his oily muscles.

Anyway there my personal cons and pros for both choices:
Paladin:
Cons-
1)We don't know details about moral code and it can be very retarded. Therefore, actions of paladin can hurt party or even kill everyone.
2) Paladin is an alignment slave (even more than other classes), he don't really has any choice in his actions and roleplay can become as real rail-road chore.
Not that much forcing in the DnD 5E as it was in ADD and DnD 3E. Alignments have lost nearly all meaning in 5E and Paladins are not required to be LG. The Paladin from previous editions would be mostly depicted by the Oath of Devotion Paladin in the 5E, but you got the more NG Paladins from the Oath of the Ancients or the CG Avenger (Oath of Vengeance) and from Xanathar's Guide to Everything you get the Oath of Conquest, which can be even LE or CE (Hell Knights).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In nearly all combat encounters the Barb has to go and goes into a rage in his first turn for the benefits and this makes the rage an unnecessary thing
Nix, I play barbarians and I never have to rage. I save it for special occasions anyway.

Darkzone

Arcane
In nearly all combat encounters the Barb has to go and goes into a rage in his first turn for the benefits and this makes the rage an unnecessary thing
Nix, I play barbarians and I never have to rage. I save it for special occasions anyway.
So you don't care about the damage resistance and rage damage? Or do you have as group more than 2-3 encounters before a long rest?

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm both happy and surprised that this seems that it will make its , quite ambitious, goal.
I am surprised it doesn't get more ,faster, there's illustrated rulebooks on kickstarter getting more .

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am surprised it doesn't get more ,faster, there's illustrated rulebooks on kickstarter getting more .
But games were not faring so well recently, at least I thought so. Mainly due to various disappointing titles recently I guess?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dorateen https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2629248

The Elves & Dwarves of Solasta (4,000 backers!)
By Edalliath Keenmind, Loremaster of The Arcaneum

8118ec122841a94440538f4a775f34cc_original.png

Origins
Children of earth, the dwarves evolved underground, and came to rule an extensive realm beneath the mountains in the west of the continent, with great tunnel-highways connecting the dwarven undercities.

Toward the end of the Elven Wars, a series of earthquakes led to the creation of the Inner Sea. Many tunnel-highways collapsed, and others were flooded. The dwarven realm was broken two parts: the hill dwarves to the south and west of the Inner sea, and the snow dwarves to the north and east.

d9fbb11615d4facdf7f3a976269eb440_original.png

The Hill Dwarves
The hill dwarves have changed little in the intervening millennia. They still live mostly underground, and their skills in working stone and metal are legendary.

Numerous inventions have been developed to make life easier and improve the quality of dwarven crafts: not least among them are the great pumps that emptied the flooded tunnel-highways and continue to keep them dry.

The Snow Dwarves
Cut off from the rest of the dwarven realm, the snow dwarves adapted to survive and thrive in their harsh, frigid environment. While still a predominantly underground people, the snow dwarves spend more time above ground, hunting and trapping food and prospecting for minerals. They have developed considerable outdoor survival skills as a result, perhaps, becoming even coarser and rougher in the process.

8e146b04380191b94e87523a96cca880_original.png

The Cataclysm and After
The Cataclysm further devastated the hill dwarf kingdom. Ancient enchantments had kept two great volcanoes dormant for uncounted ages, but as mana drained from the land in the aftermath of the Cataclysm, the protections were broken.

Countless lives were lost to earthquakes and lava, and more to flooding as the Inner Sea claimed more of the land. Whole settlements were destroyed, and the hill dwarf lands were cut in two by a new volcanic wasteland. The northern and southern kingdoms survived thanks in part to some expansion on the surface, as many of the deeper tunnels were still unsafe.

The snow dwarves fared better, being far from any active volcanoes. They were affected by the loss of mana from the land, but having been among the first to welcome human refugees, they profited greatly from their divine magic.

Enjoying the wilderness and the simplicity of life in the wilds, the snow dwarves also forged an alliance with the like-minded sylvan elves living in their territory, and the Snow Alliance, as it was named, has enjoyed prosperity and peace with its neighbors. Its people remain vigilant, though, as the time since the Cataclysm has not been without strife.

21fad222f9e69523b82ac844ea37fd9d_original.png

Appearance
Dwarves are shorter than humans by a head or so. However, their broad and muscular build means that they weigh about the same.

Snow dwarves are a little taller and slimmer on average, but still significantly shorter and stockier than humans. Their overall range of skin tone is similar to that of humans, although snow dwarves often have a slight blue-gray tint, almost the color of slate. Dwarven hair color varies from black through chestnut brown and red-brown to gray. The hair is most often bound up in a braid or a ponytail. Their eyes are generally on the dark side.

Clothing usually reflects the colors of a dwarf’s clan. Hill dwarves favor sashes in their clan colors, while snow dwarves wear clan emblems embroidered into the trim of their cuffs and collars.

bdcfb0531bc79aeb07dbeca6e280d777_original.png

Origins and History
The elves are native to Solasta. Not even they know how old their race is, or how it came to be: it seems as though they always existed, surrounding and watching as the world came into being, yet remaining apart, just as the air surrounds and permeates the world without being noticed. Some elves say that their race was never created, but has existed since the beginning of time. Others claim that they are the children of air and mana.

The elves came into being into a region which they called Aer-Elai. This region became the heart of their empire, and, later, the Badlands. After the Elven Wars, the elven race underwent as schism as some pursued imperial power while others preferred to stay close to nature. The Manacalon Empire expanded steadily thanks to the elves’ natural affinity for magic, while the forest of Colthannin became a secretive refuge.

The Cataclysm tore the heart out of the Empire. The New Empire was born from the only former Imperial province that managed to keep the old ways. Its high elves dream of restoring lost glory and still follow most of the ancient customs aimed at bringing civilization to all races.

a5098729130359ecbb64e3606c32ef80_original.png

High Elves
The elves of the Empire had called themselves Sitherna, which means “lords” or “exalted” in their language. In the common tongue, it is generally translated as “high elves.” They consider themselves superior to all other races, including their sylvan cousins. They take great pride in the purity of their blood, their mastery of arcane sorcery, and their self-appointed position as the rightful rulers of Solasta.

2fa8d6864c2a8ec9000f4c400c6ddf49_original.png

Sylvan Elves
Some elves refused to follow the way of Empire and civilization. These "followers of the old ways" (dilynwyr henfyrd in the elvish language) used their magical heritage to grow closer to nature and strive for harmony rather than civilization, as they felt it should have been for all elves. These elves moved far from the lands of the Empire, settling far to the east in the forest of Colthannin. In the millennia that followed, these sylvan elves effectively became a separate race from the high elves.

The Sylvan Realm does not welcome visitors, but many of its sons and daughters suffer from wanderlust and can be found outside its borders as traders, trappers, travelers, adventurers, and explorers. Colthannin is said to be a place of wonders, which shows not traces of the Cataclysm. Keen-eyed archers and subtle greenmages patrol its borders, watching for invaders and punishing those who threaten the balance of nature.

Outside Colthannin, smaller sylvan elf settlements may be found in forests all over Solasta. Many sylvan elves live in the lands of the Snow Alliance, and a few may be found further to the west in the dwarven kingdoms.

fae6f45f0189dc6d775910222d2d88b7_original.png

Appearance
Most elves are slightly shorter than the average human, and lighter of build. To most other races, their pointed ears are the elves’ most distinctive physical characteristic.

If it were not for the differences in their dress and demeanor, most non-elves would find sylvan and high elves very difficult to tell apart. High elves tend to have pale, almost silver-white skin, with hair ranging from ash-blond to pale red and eyes of pale blue, silver-gray, and pale gold. The skin of sylvan elves has a slight copper hue, and their hair tends to be a little darker than that of the high elves. Red hair is not uncommon. Sylvan elves frequently have green or amber eyes.

82d06b4460352a2b750f04ebf16cbd5a_original.png

Paladin vs Ranger, voting ends Sunday 22nd!

c2b6c1ca5f261cd5c1569ac3f6631073_original.png

Today we're featuring a Fan Art by Lyfae, who's given some love to our Dwarven Cleric Vigdis!

Referral Program Tutorial

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Poor dwarfs, writers of many settings seems to really hate them, because setting where dwarfs past of their glory times is so common, it almost a cliche.
Is there any setting where dwarfs have functional empire in golden age?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Poor dwarfs, writers of many settings seems to really hate them, because setting where dwarfs past of their glory times is so common, it almost a cliche.
Is there any setting where dwarfs have functional empire in golden age?
Dwarfs are allegory for the jews. Do you know any setting where the jews had a functional empire in their golden age?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom