Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ColCol

Arcane
SO Iḿ starting an old character who was right before deep roads. A pure psi character. I am going to embark on expedition but I have one question. It is worthwhile to even start putting points in stealth , I was thinking about having it leveled for the deep roads.

OldJonas

Barely Literate
So apparently the Sonocaster (DLC autism puzzle reward) can destroy rock walls ala TNT. I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so enjoy the hot tip.

I assume it's because a certain amount of its damage ALWAYS passes through armor. I wonder if there are any other places where this quirk can be abused. Incidentally it is so good I am considering breaking The One Rule and grabbing an energy weapon feat on my anemic SMG build solely for this weapon. In the same building with the weapon, I found a grand total of 4 (four) armor piercing 8.6 rounds for my marshmallow gun and 25+ heavily armored statues so that may be clouding my judgement.

SO Iḿ starting an old character who was right before deep roads. A pure psi character. I am going to embark on expedition but I have one question. It is worthwhile to even start putting points in stealth , I was thinking about having it leveled for the deep roads.
Stealth is almost mandatory in this game but you can squeak by with meta-ing high quality stealth "armor." You can get 120+ effective with just gear IIRC. Also, stealth psi is the most OP build in the game by a country mile.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, high DEX (it's dex right? I forget) chars with cloaking emitter and other item bonuses can easily get themselves to 100+ stealth with a couple levels of investment.

Primarily it would help you skip/minimise the moronic locusts in a couple of areas, and then provide typical stealth QOL elsewhere

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, i get from Fenix's post that shotguns are alright? I want to start new game with Expedition now and considering hobo with a shotgun build. Are there some advice on what stats/feats other than shotty specials are good to have or what armor or evasion/dodge to have.

Supressive Fire and Full Auto friend!
I took them at 18-20 lvl, but it can't hurt if you take them on 10-12 I think.
Armor - dunno, I think armored shotgunner is viable but I prefer mobility - thus lether armor, Sprint, Blitz.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Didn't take shotguns as this only my second time so i went for more popular ("safe"?) stealthy sniper build and there's one question about it. Is there viable, non cheesy way to re enter stealth after combat has commenced? Tried to run behind corner and hide, but mobs were still red-eyed all the same. It seems that while Snipe is great for a strong single target and as an opening, but kinda meh in the long run, if it can only be used once per encounter.
Also, what's the best backup damage dealer for sniper? Pistols and SMGs kinda suck without high Dex and i don't like tinkering with traps/mines as it takes way too much time. Thinking of grenades with Grenadier and build up on chemistry to make the high end nades. Or maybe the shotgun for close range and crowd control (it does have a spread, right?)?

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
You need to stun enemies in some fashion to re-enter stealth, e.g. with flashbangs. Shotguns are as op as the other burst weapons, but cheaper on the ammo.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How to play a great stealth sniper:
- place mines and traps near a chokepoint you know enemies will pass once you alerted them
- snipe an enemy
- retreat
- boom

Trashos

Arcane
For sniper rifles, grenades, traps and either SMGs or pistols are the way to go. SMGs rock, but you might end up wondering why you are even carrying the sniper rifle. Pistols are more appropriate from a role-playing perspective. On the other hand, I couldn't really appreciate pistols until I played a devoted pistols build - they may look very weak to you until you get a feel for them.

In conclusion, for a first sniper try, I 'd go sniper rifle/grenades/traps/SMGs.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The problem with flashbangs is that you can't really incapacitate everyone unless it's three guys standing close to each other. If that really is the case then i guess snipe isn't all that good perk after all. :?
As for mines, i'm already in shortage of skill points for everything to add to traps too so guess i'll stick to nades. Probably try shotgun as a backup as it seems to use the same amount of action points as shitty smgs and pistols, but deals way more damage at least looking on statsheets.
For sniper rifles, grenades, traps and either SMGs or pistols are the way to go. SMGs rock, but you might end up wondering why you are even carrying the sniper rifle. Pistols are more appropriate from a role-playing perspective. On the other hand, I couldn't really appreciate pistols until I played a devoted pistols build - they may look very weak to you until you get a feel for them.
Yeah, looking at various pistol perks and possibilities, they seem to be interesting. Would probably suck against Big Bads, but that's usual for ''unsafe'' builds. I don't want to take smgs and pistols with sniper though as i wont be rising DEX and getting any burst related perks. Any decent SMG burst uses up almost the same action points as a sniper shot so i don't see how they are good as backups without investing in them to begin with.

ciox

Liturgist
Didn't take shotguns as this only my second time so i went for more popular ("safe"?) stealthy sniper build and there's one question about it. Is there viable, non cheesy way to re enter stealth after combat has commenced? Tried to run behind corner and hide, but mobs were still red-eyed all the same. It seems that while Snipe is great for a strong single target and as an opening, but kinda meh in the long run, if it can only be used once per encounter.
Also, what's the best backup damage dealer for sniper? Pistols and SMGs kinda suck without high Dex and i don't like tinkering with traps/mines as it takes way too much time. Thinking of grenades with Grenadier and build up on chemistry to make the high end nades. Or maybe the shotgun for close range and crowd control (it does have a spread, right?)?

To restealth you can run away but you need to stun or slow the enemies for that to work, and enter stealth far away from them.
Most reliably you can use flashbangs, incapacitation from Cheap Shots or Pneumatic Hammer, the psi powers Mental Breakdown and Neurovisual Disruption (restealthing works great with Psi IMO)

Pistols have somewhat of a synergy with snipers but it's not that strong, thinking specifically of the Sharpshooter and Critical Power feats, combined with a Hammerer pistol.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Okay, but that means Snipe is kinda meh, because it's really rare that you can incapacitate entire mob with one flashbang in one turn and if you can you would be better off just throwing a frag at them anyway. There's also weird thing that if you leave the combat zone from one side and reenter from another in stealth, everyone there is still 100% aware of where you are, which is retarded (maybe to counter this cheesy tactic), but as long as no one had made an attack i still counted in stealth mode and could perform Snipe. :M
Good call about pistol synergy.

Tigranes

Arcane
Snipe is mandatory for a sniper just for the alpha strikes. The difference between one almost-guaranteed one-shot kill and two is massive. Snipers can dominate - and get plenty of mileage out of Snipe - without ever restealthing mid combat.

ciox

Liturgist
Okay, but that means Snipe is kinda meh, because it's really rare that you can incapacitate entire mob with one flashbang in one turn and if you can you would be better off just throwing a frag at them anyway. There's also weird thing that if you leave the combat zone from one side and reenter from another in stealth, everyone there is still 100% aware of where you are, which is retarded (maybe to counter this cheesy tactic), but as long as no one had made an attack i still counted in stealth mode and could perform Snipe. :M
Good call about pistol synergy.

Yeah, you don't need to break awareness with anyone to be able to Snipe for full damage, just be in stealth mode and avoid getting knocked out of it.

Gibson

Learned
guys is it normal for this game to take almost 5min to boot up? granted I'm playing it on laptop, but an Intel i5+8GB ram+SSD+Radeon with 2GB dedicated memory should be enough i think. once booted it works smoothly, but no fucking way i'm waiting 5min for a game to boot up.

already tried reinstalling it. using GOG version if it helps.

LJ40

Cipher
5 minutes seems a bit much, but it does take the game a long time to get past the initial loading box. Game runs fine once it does start up, but getting there takes a bit of patience.

ciox

Liturgist
It can take significantly longer than 5 minutes on a fragmented non-SSD, something like 1-2 minutes on a brand new SSD.
You can thank the "for(i=0; i<muh_entire_game.size(); i++)" loading code, I guess.

epeli

Arcane
guys is it normal for this game to take almost 5min to boot up? granted I'm playing it on laptop, but an Intel i5+8GB ram+SSD+Radeon with 2GB dedicated memory should be enough i think. once booted it works smoothly, but no fucking way i'm waiting 5min for a game to boot up.

Definitely abnormal. It used to be much faster, yeah, but it still should load in around 15 seconds on that hardware. I've no idea why some people are having these ridiculous loading times. Makes me think of some crapware antivirus molesting .NET executables on their startup. Dunno.

ciox

Liturgist

Definitely abnormal. It used to be much faster, yeah, but it still should load in around 15 seconds on that hardware. I've no idea why some people are having these ridiculous loading times. Makes me think of some crapware antivirus molesting .NET executables on their startup. Dunno.
What the hell, you're right.
For me at least, turning off Windows Defender (which can only be done temporarily far as I know) makes the game launch in less than a minute.

You think someone could have figured this out sooner, something happened to the exe in the last year that made it get actively scanned by Windows' Anti-Malware Service and slowed down, I didn't think of it, because usually games either had this problem or they didn't, they didn't just suddenly evolve to have it with a patch or DLC.

Anyway this is still pretty awkward because far as I know adding an exe to the Windows Defender exceptions list only allows it to run and keeps it from getting quarantined and deleted, it will still get scanned and slowed down when it runs, that's how it works for some UE3 games that have this problem anyway. Or maybe other computers have completely different problems with the loading time, whatever.

Guess I should apologize for taking it out on the game's loading code on the previous page. FORGIVE ME, STYG.

just

Liturgist
im using linux and it starts in 15 sec on a pretty shitty laptop
so my guess is also some antivirus/windows shit like mentioned above

year of linux gaming has finally arrived

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It loads a bit longer than it did without expansion, but nowhere near 5 mins lol. Around half a minute max and i'm currently on laptop from 2007 lol. I'm still annoyed that saving the game takes so long, like 10 seconds and it's frozen all that time. What does it do when saving i wonder. Now days most games, even with teh yuge graffixx and all, make saving in the background without even interrupting the flow. :?

ciox

Liturgist
It loads a bit longer than it did without expansion, but nowhere near 5 mins lol. Around half a minute max and i'm currently on laptop from 2007 lol. I'm still annoyed that saving the game takes so long, like 10 seconds and it's frozen all that time. What does it do when saving i wonder. Now days most games, even with teh yuge graffixx and all, make saving in the background without even interrupting the flow. :?

Not 100% sure, but I think games with seamless saving make a copy of the game state to the RAM, and then compress and write that copy to the disk while the game is still running on the original game state. Games with slow saving probably save the current game state to the disk without making any copies, so the whole game has to freeze until compressing and writing to disk is complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom