Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So...
The Halcyon is 5 ex.
Gimme dem dolla bills y'all

:fuuyeah:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Literally less people playing after 2 weeks than in Synthesis.
I blame the insane rarity of oils.

Have fun adding +30 str/dex/int to your amulet as the 'league loot'.

Well, that and the turret defence minigame having 0 depth, and relatively little interaction with the core gameplay. Say what thou will about 'gotta go fast' leagues, at least they reinforce what poe is all about.

2 "simple" leagues in a row, 4.0 delayed, I wonder what GGG are spending their time with.

abija

Prophet
The masters change was one of the few good design choices they did in a long time.

Though, how would they delay 4.0 when there wasn't any release info about it?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Literally less people playing after 2 weeks than in Synthesis.
I blame the insane rarity of oils.

Have fun adding +30 str/dex/int to your amulet as the 'league loot'.

Well, that and the turret defence minigame having 0 depth, and relatively little interaction with the core gameplay. Say what thou will about 'gotta go fast' leagues, at least they reinforce what poe is all about.

2 "simple" leagues in a row, 4.0 delayed, I wonder what GGG are spending their time with.
Designing lootboxes for the lootboxes of course.

they also said 3.9 is going to have some major changes so I guess on that

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They didn't. You can't delay something that you've never announced in the first place. We will continue to see small modular improvements to the engine/game itself, with meta-shifting gameplay balance changes every single league. This will continue until 4.0.

Blight is a good league, it's just that Legion was so easy and rewarding, that people feel that blight is underwhelming. I'd just wish for more endgame-focused leagues again, both Legion and Blight have no additional endgame bossfight whatsoever. I miss Synthesis :(

Sharpedge

Prophet
They didn't. You can't delay something that you've never announced in the first place. We will continue to see small modular improvements to the engine/game itself, with meta-shifting gameplay balance changes every single league. This will continue until 4.0.

Blight is a good league, it's just that Legion was so easy and rewarding, that people feel that blight is underwhelming. I'd just wish for more endgame-focused leagues again, both Legion and Blight have no additional endgame bossfight whatsoever. I miss Synthesis :(
Small modular improvements like the "present" crash and the "map" crash? I didn't have those before this league and I am not sure if I consider them an improvement. I agree about the endgame content though, these loot explosion leagues aren't exactly my cup of tea.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Thats the thing with technology though, it'll always fail for some people, and its hard to figure out what the culprit is. If all those people whining on reddit would've handed in proper diags and information, it would've been fixed already. I've been playing an awful lot this league, my PC is far from new or high-end (960GTX surely isnt considered a good GPU anymore these days) and I've had 0 crashes, 0 texture issues and no crashed or laggy or unfinishable blighted maps due to invulnerable rhoas. The league for me has been absolutely flawless in terms of performance and gameplay. It sucks that the game is having issues for you and other people, but don't make it out to be something thats happening to everybody. It's not.

So clearly the issue isn't that the game is unplayable for everyone. Now the question only is how many people have issues now, compared to how many people have had issues previous leagues. Is it more or less? Are they just more vocal? It's impossible to know, but I can tell you with great certainty that 99% of these people have not done what they should've done and helped GGG fix the issue not just for themselves, but for everyone else too. But hey, its GGG whos at fault here right? No other software company ever had issues with specific hardware or experienced worse performance after they implemented a new feature.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They came with their list of excuses today about the crashes and performance issues. It is all funny and basically they got no solutions except that this league is broken because they decided to put too many monsters in it.

But at least we found out that zoom zoom clear screen with one attack is not a design decision but performance decision.
When we talk about instance server performance, we're referring to the performance of the game server software that is running on one of our server machines. Normally we can fit dozens of instances per CPU core, and they take a fraction of a millisecond to process your actions for the frame. Under extreme gameplay circumstances though, the instance server can slow down due to the calculations taking a full CPU core more than 33ms (the serverside frame time).

In Blight, there are a lot of monsters and they have a lot of life. What normally happens when you engage a pack of monsters is that your attacks quickly cull out the weak ones, leaving just a few strong targets. In Blight, however, the weak ones last for much longer. As you know, Path of Exile has a very complicated stat system with tens of thousands of different values that your character can have. Many of these are used in combat calculations and dozens of small buffs, debuffs and ailments are applied to monsters as you attack them. The more monsters there are, and the longer they survive your attacks for, the longer these calculations take. Blight combat is an order of magnitude more strenuous on our servers than regular map content.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's not really a new realization though is it? We've had meme wormblaster or firestorm builds that crashed entire instances due to the amount of calculations that were going on years ago already. Performance issues sometimes were the sole reason builds or items got nerfed.
I'd actually go so far and claim that the "old" PoE that was much slower paced was easier on the servers, than all the zoom-zoom-instaclear-everything builds that use a plethora of calculations to ultimately arrive at the conclusion that your target and everything around it dies, only to create a bunch of post-death calculations due to heralds, proliferation calculations, corpse-effects etc. Maybe the speedclear meta is the problem, not the solution.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Like my friend said, they should just cheat and make all monsters die in 1s around you if you are using any skill. Because that is what happens anyways and everyone will feel good about how their build rocks :D

Just use real calculations and damage for boss fights
And no more performance problems :D

Hyperion

Arcane
I'd actually go so far and claim that the "old" PoE that was much slower paced was easier on the servers,
Yeah of course it was.

Remember the old bug that was right under their nose that made the servers identify every single item on the screen every time you killed an enemy that they only stumbled upon because of Vacuum-cycloning Tormented spirits onto bosses, which they never unnerfed?

Yeah, performance has been worse than that shit for quite a few leagues now, of course it's all bullshit. This is all smoke and mirrors for them to justify further pushing the ADHD style of play.

Thank God I uninstalled a few leagues ago, and the melee changea were mostly shit and didn't make the game any less unbearable. I can just watch it all burn from the outside looking in now.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'd actually go so far and claim that the "old" PoE that was much slower paced was easier on the servers,
Yeah of course it was.

Remember the old bug that was right under their nose that made the servers identify every single item on the screen every time you killed an enemy that they only stimbled upon because of Vacuum-cycloning Tormented spirits onto bosses, which they never unnerfed?

Yeah, performance has been worse than that shit for quite a few leagues now, of course it's all bullshit. This is all smoke and mirrors for them to justify further pushing the ADHD style of play.

Thank God I uninstalled a few leagues ago, and the melee changea were mostly shit and didn't make the game any less unbearable. I can just watch it all burn from the outside looking in now.
I wish I had your willpower :negative:

Hyperion

Arcane
It wasn't easy, I put a few hundred into supporting the game since 2012. Uninstalling sucked, but that's really all it takes. Just muster up the balls to uninstall and it becomes easier by the day.

Not gonna lie, I checked the subreddit daily for months afterwards, but seeing what the community wanted and hated while not playing made me realize how far gone the game I loved is, and it just isn't coming back.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not really a new realization though is it? We've had meme wormblaster or firestorm builds that crashed entire instances due to the amount of calculations that were going on years ago already. Performance issues sometimes were the sole reason builds or items got nerfed.
I'd actually go so far and claim that the "old" PoE that was much slower paced was easier on the servers, than all the zoom-zoom-instaclear-everything builds that use a plethora of calculations to ultimately arrive at the conclusion that your target and everything around it dies, only to create a bunch of post-death calculations due to heralds, proliferation calculations, corpse-effects etc. Maybe the speedclear meta is the problem, not the solution.

Perfect example was that Molten Strike Poison build back in uh... Delve (I think?) that was causing constant severe lag issues.

GGG made it worse by endorsing it as "build of the week" on the subreddit.

If they want to continue the whole clearspeed meta and constantly increasing amounts of enemies, they really need to make sure their engine is optimised for it.

abija

Prophet
Thats the thing with technology though, it'll always fail for some people, and its hard to figure out what the culprit is.
Oh but we know exactly what the culprit is. Their tech guys wouldn't recognize a pragmatic approach even if it slaps them in the face.

And Chris is very wrong about their engine. The real optimization is not being able to display thousands of particles on screen or tracking thousands of instances of leech. It's finding a way to not use more than 100, or whatever number people can't track past and don't really give a fuck.Not like they are providing damage meters so you can actually check everything is working as it's supposed to.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Thats the thing with technology though, it'll always fail for some people, and its hard to figure out what the culprit is. If all those people whining on reddit would've handed in proper diags and information, it would've been fixed already. I've been playing an awful lot this league, my PC is far from new or high-end (960GTX surely isnt considered a good GPU anymore these days) and I've had 0 crashes, 0 texture issues and no crashed or laggy or unfinishable blighted maps due to invulnerable rhoas. The league for me has been absolutely flawless in terms of performance and gameplay. It sucks that the game is having issues for you and other people, but don't make it out to be something thats happening to everybody. It's not.

So clearly the issue isn't that the game is unplayable for everyone. Now the question only is how many people have issues now, compared to how many people have had issues previous leagues. Is it more or less? Are they just more vocal? It's impossible to know, but I can tell you with great certainty that 99% of these people have not done what they should've done and helped GGG fix the issue not just for themselves, but for everyone else too. But hey, its GGG whos at fault here right? No other software company ever had issues with specific hardware or experienced worse performance after they implemented a new feature.
I will admit, for the most part, the league itself is handling fine. I have had 0 issues related to the league mechanic itself. Previous league mechanics however...

Perkel

Arcane
Next expansion 3.9 should be biggest expansion of this year and it will be announced on exile con in novemeber.
4.0 also will be first shown at exile con and some people will get to play it for a while.

Gerrard

Arcane
Considering the "melee rework" I don't know how anyone can expect anything but disappointment. Half of the biggest PoE streamers are playing WoW, Even ShillyD is playing Borderlands.

Perkel

Arcane
Considering the "melee rework" I don't know how anyone can expect anything but disappointment. Half of the biggest PoE streamers are playing WoW, Even ShillyD is playing Borderlands.

melee rework wasn't exactly rework more like bugfixing.

They hype up 4.0 as answer for Diablo4 which means it should be huge overhaul of whole game rather than something like Oriath expansion.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
The game has its fair share of design problems but having a redundant league is the least of them.
Anyway decided to kill elder yesterday and stop playing for a while 2 leagues in a row was a bit much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom