Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Disco Elysium coming out 10 days before this will probably suck for Obsidian. Give everyone a crazy innovative RPG, then follow up with something that feels extremely safe, mediocre and done to death...

Graphics aside (which have a really generic style), every gameplay video so far looks like something that could've done in Fallout 3, ELEVEN years ago.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Give everyone a crazy innovative RPG, then follow up with something that feels extremely safe, mediocre and done to death...

>Done to death.

Let me see here a list of all games that did something similar to FNV that came after it (RPG FPS faction system, CnC , multiples endings that take your actions on account , branching dialogue, etc) :

Deus Ex HR (eh?) ... and... Literaly nothing else

Yeah , done to the death. Unless you count the masterpiece that's Fallout 4 :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Disco Elysium coming out 10 days before this will probably suck for Obsidian. Give everyone a crazy innovative RPG, then follow up with something that feels extremely safe, mediocre and done to death...

Graphics aside (which have a really generic style), every gameplay video so far looks like something that could've done in Fallout 3, ELEVEN years ago.
Not necessarily, Disco communism could suck for all we know. Have you played it,is it an actual rpg? Still i would rather buy disco than outer worlds,got burned enough by obsidian's recent fuck ups.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Give everyone a crazy innovative RPG, then follow up with something that feels extremely safe, mediocre and done to death...

>Done to death.

Let me see here a list of all games that did something similar to FNV that came after it (RPG FPS faction system, CnC , multiples endings that take your actions on account , branching dialogue, etc) :

Yeah , done to the death. Unless you count the masterpiece that's Fallout 4 :smug:
It is a generic action rpg,i could easily compare it to greedfall and control that came during the last month. It have absolutely nothing that we haven't seen before,fuck Insomnia the ark is more original and interesting than this game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Do you really think a number greater than five digits are going to care about Disco Pretentious no matter how many journalists gush over it?

Codex Year of the Donut

disco elysium is "literally what?" to nearly everyone outside of this site and other niche circles

jf8350143

Liturgist

>Done to death.

Even Deus Ex didn't have a character creation system and have a pre-set protagonist with a pre-set background.

There isn't any game like F:NV since it came out.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Expectation is for Outer Worlds to sell a 1M+ copies because it has appeal for a wider audience beyond Troika fans. I'll be surprised if Disco Elysium hits 100k copies sold.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Also TOW isn't going to be a FNV-formula game, it's hub-based and 20 hrs long. Basically vtmb with party members and slightly bigger locations

Tigranes

Arcane
RPG Codex - why has nobody tried to mimic New Vegas formula for over a decade?

Also RPG Codex - FNV formula is safe and done to death

They didn't also have to copy the "stilted dudes with nerf guns running around at a ren fair" combat.

It'll be tricky to assess TOW, somebody will have to play it 7 times and see what kind of C&C / replayability is there

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
As for Disco Autisium, the last time someone promised crazy innovative RPG we ended up with Numanuma.

Wait, did TTON really promise to do anything innovative after the initial pitch that got scrapped? Wasn’t the whole point that it would be a throwback?

I think TTON marketing guy quit InXile and went to work on Disco Elysium, because they're promising exactly the same shit. Skill-check heavy game, peppered with adventure game mechanics, lack of traditional combat, packed with lots of reactivity.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think TTON marketing guy quit InXile and went to work on Disco Elysium, because they're promising exactly the same shit. Skill-check heavy game, peppered with adventure game mechanics, lack of traditional combat, packed with lots of reactivity.

I must have missed the bit in TTON where my skills (or whatever the fuck they’re called in the useless cypher system) butt in on every conversation and even argue amongst themselves. Or where I could equip ideas. The ZA/UM guys are actually doing new things and they fucking love to talk about it.

TTON pitched itself as more PS:T with a lot less combat. Disco Elysium’s developers have repeatedly talked about trying to make something that’s better than PS:T. They’ve either made something incredible or they’re the human embodiment of hubris.

I really doubt the TTON marketing team ever made the kind of sweeping statements about revolutionizing the genre that we routinely hear from the Disco crew.

Codex Year of the Donut

I must have missed the bit in TTON where my skills (or whatever the fuck they’re called in the useless cypher system) butt in on every conversation and even argue amongst themselves. Or where I could equip ideas. The ZA/UM guys are actually doing new things and they fucking love to talk about it.

TTON pitched itself as more PS:T with a lot less combat. Disco Elysium’s developers have repeatedly talked about trying to make something that’s better than PS:T. They’ve either made something incredible or they’re the human embodiment of hubris.

I really doubt the TTON marketing team ever made the kind of sweeping statements about revolutionizing the genre that we routinely hear from the Disco crew.
I'm not buying disco communism, stop shilling

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I must have missed the bit in TTON

Yes you did, the whole problem with muh massive reactivity, is that people miss most of it. It's inconsequential and invisible to the player, unless you replay the game 8 times in a row.

ZA/UM guys are actually doing new things

Name one.

Disco Elysium’s developers have repeatedly talked about trying to make something that’s better than PS:T. They’ve either made something incredible or they’re the human embodiment of hubris.

Or you're a human embodiment of falling for marketing bullshit.

Bonerbill

Augur

Please list any RPGs similar to new vegas that came out within the past 5 years because I want to play them. :D

jf8350143

Liturgist

"revolutionizing the genre" is a instant red flag for any game's marketing, especially Indie game.

Also for a game that was suppose to be revolutionizing the genre, it didn't even have a character creation system.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must have missed the bit in TTON

Yes you did, the whole problem with muh massive reactivity, is that people miss most of it. It's inconsequential and invisible to the player, unless you replay the game 8 times in a row.

ZA/UM guys are actually doing new things

Name one.

You don’t understand. These conversations with your skills aren’t just passive checks where you get some more flavor text or notice something that unlocks an extra dialogue option with an NPC.

Prime Junta Tigranes you guys have actually played it, can you explain what makes the skills as characters setup different from any old build related reactivity?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom