Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium releasing on October 15th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Disco Elysium; ZA/UM

It's been many months since we last had any real news about Disco Elysium, the ambitious detective RPG that has been exciting the Codex's imagination since 2016. Just when it seemed like it was safe to declare it vaporware, today ZA/UM suddenly announced that the game was releasing on October 15th, less than a month from now. Holy shit. Here's the release date trailer, which is chock full of delicious gameplay snippets, along with the accompanying press release.

September 18th 2019 (London, UK): ZA/UM announced today that its hellishly ambitious role-playing game Disco Elysium will launch for PC on October 15th, 2019 on Steam and GOG.com.

Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game with an insane amount of choice and consequence. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Be a hero, a prophet, a madman and the greatest detective the world has ever seen.

You’ve never played anything like it.
  • Over 60 hours of game time in a unique urban fantasy setting.
  • An open world you can approach in any order – the bad part of the bad part of town with unforgettable characters.
  • One massive open-ended case and tons of side investigations.
  • Countless tools for role-playing: 24 mad skills to upgrade, over 80 different clothing items to wear, 12 tools to use, 8 psychoactive substances to discover, more than 50 unique "thoughts" to analyze and so on.
  • A hauntingly beautiful original soundtrack by British Sea Power.

What a great year for RPGs this has become.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Finally I can be a well-dressed hobo cop with an extensive wardrobe. A dream come true.

I suspect this game might have similar issues as other storyfagging titles such as Torment: a lot of text, which is not easy to pull off in a truly engaging way. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, it is really an adventure game with RPG elements and not really an RPG, isn't it?

Deleted Member 22431

Finally I can be a well-dressed hobo cop with an extensive wardrobe. A dream come true.

I suspect this game might have similar issues as other storyfagging titles such as Torment: a lot of text, which is not easy to pull off in a truly engaging way. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, it is really an adventure game with RPG elements and not really an RPG, isn't it?
The problem with this game is obviously the lack of a traditional combat system. It will hurt sales badly. I hope I'm wrong thou.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If Baldur’s Gate is a RTS with RPG elements then yes

Arguably, Baldur’s gate is an adventure game with RTS elements (I love those old threads where VD rants about how it’s not a real RPG if your build doesn’t mean shit outside of combat).

From everything I’ve seen—and I think I’ve seen everything available on the web—Disco Elysium really doesn’t play like an adventure game. Too many dice rolls. Too many passive stat checks that cause your skills converse with you. Too many different ways to accomplish your objectives depending on your build.

Prime Junta

From everything I’ve seen—and I think I’ve seen everything available on the web—Disco Elysium really doesn’t play like an adventure game. Too many dice rolls. Too many passive stat checks that cause your skills converse with you. Too many different ways to accomplish your objectives depending on your build.

Disco Elysium is what RPGs would have become if the first really successful cRPG had spawned off Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, or Full Throttle, or the Monkey Islands, rather than turn-based or real-time strategy games.

Every RPG is a hybrid. You've got your C&C, your character-building mechanics, and your challenge-resolution mechanics, and you make that drive some type of gameplay: it could be turn-based strategy, real-time strategy, shooter, or brawler. Disco Elysium does exactly this but with adventure game gameplay, the same way the Witchers, the Mass Effects, FO:NV, the upcoming Outer Worlds and any number of other games take action gameplay and combine that with RPG mechanics, or Baldur's Gate took RTS gameplay and combined that with RPG mechanics.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
it was announced on the chapo trap house podcast as they deemed that this game will share most of the audience with them rather than with conventional gaming publications

aratuk

Cipher
No Truce With the Furies was a book published in 1995. Maybe the heirs of the poet sent a cease & desist, and it was safe to assume no one had written a book titled Disco Elysium.

I forget, was this a crowdfunded exercise, or not? Need to know if perhaps I've already bought it…

:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom