Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Epic or Steam is the same shit for me.
I'd also choose Steam over Epic.
:balance:

Yeah, whole argument fell apart there.

Yes, if you quote of context and in reverse order.

If I was into renting games, and both of them had the same games, I'd choose Steam.
If something was only available on one of them, I'd get it from wherever it was available. Because I really can't tell the difference from a customer perspective between an Epic exclusive and a Steam exclusive.

However, I'm not into renting games, hence they're both the same shit for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Not related but in other news. Since huawei was booted out of Google apps with US trade barriers they will be opening their own service with 15% cut instead of google 30%. They will also pay developers $1BLN to port most of popular apps on it and that is "just a start"

Looks like 30% dam is breaking all around.

without it you can't play gta5.
Sure you can.

If you crack game sure.

Though it would be amazing if rockstar would take away GTA5 from Steam and bring it to Epic.
They can just launch RDR2 on their own store and kill epic.

With 12% margins are so thin that i doubt they would decline Epic. As long as margin is low probably they could even earn more on Epic store than their own store.

There is a reason why whole word uses retail chains to sell their goods rather than running own stores.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Because I really can't tell the difference from a customer perspective between an Epic exclusive and a Steam exclusive.
:retarded:

Yes, cretin. There is no difference. Except a Steam exclusive being in many case worse. See 7 (up to infinity) years vs 1 year.
Cocksucking moron. Just because you hate Epic doesn't make having to use it worse than having to use Steam. They're both the same shit for anyone who buys games and not clients.

Yeah I dont know anything about that. But if its that hard than its another pro for steam and still not steams fault that the other stores are worse.

How is that a "pro" for Steam? I think he meant dealing with a storefront in general. Not that Steam is no work while others require a lot of work.
And no, it's still not Steam's fault. So what? Am I forced to use it if I want to play certain games? Yes, I am. So the discussion ends right there.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, all storefronts require work, but effort to sales is better for steam than say GOG, although I heard the backend for Steam is much more seamless than GOGs

Perkel

Arcane
I find it amazing though that so many people cuck for steam.

Every Epic release is potential GOG release since they don't use that cancer called Steamworks.
It also means that developers sooner or later will have to drop steamworks completely to not divide playerbase which also means GOG games will have multiplayer with actual people in it.

Cromwell

Arcane
I find it amazing though that so many people cuck for steam.

I think most people just dont like epic. I dont have much against steam (apart from owning renting but what can you do) but I actively dislike epic/sweeny/fortnite/chinese and so on. We have a big gamergate thread here, we have sjw threads here and in all of them you find certain groups of "gamers" and "jorunalists" actively chilling against playerbases, declaring them dead or toxic or whatever and Epic falls into the same category. They tell me sales are not needed (i.e. go and buy to my price pleb!) reviews are not needed, developer cock is to be sucked hard, fortnite is gerat game etc. they have media chilling for them. Its always the same anti consumer, anti gamer, anti normal people behaviour but somehow its ok if its epic because if you dont like that youre a steamtard. 162 pages in and still there is a subhuman pole that tells me I am a cuck for not sucking sweenys cock. wtf is happening

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
They are giving away the Batman Arkham trilogy for free

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/collection/batman-free-week

maxresdefault.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's done nothing to make me want to use it in the same way I use Steam. Same story with every other launcher. I'd love to see actual data on how many people will take Epic or another store over Steam when a game is available on both

Yeah, that's what I've been saying. I do think exclusives and giveaways work to get people to use it, but if they want to transform those people into ones who prefer it they need to improve that client a loooooot faster than they are. It baffles me they seem to not give a shit.

passerby

Arcane
If they can transform those people into "check the store at least twice a month and have no problem buying an exclusive there" it'll be enough, no *prefer* required.

Giveaway twice a month trains customers into a habit and the more games a person has on the store the less resistant this person will be to purchase another one, so such a long period and sheer volume of decent give aways goes a long way to achieve these goals.
Of course general barebonesness of the platform does a decent job at sabotaging this positive conditioning. It boggless the mind that they can throw 10s of millions around, but couldn't dedicate strong enough team to make competent platform on launch, let alone half year later.

passerby

Arcane
Advance against sales most likely, like with other deals we know about. If it was stright up payment Epic would need to move 3M full price units to break even, which is not going to happen.

Jezal_k23

True, but also, this is by definition a non self-sustaining strategy for Epic. They don't intend to make a profit just yet. They just want exclusives in their platform.

Jezal_k23

Of course. Why would they give it away for not even using their platform? They want more active users. You pick the games up, you have to use the Epic launcher to run them, you're using the platform so you're a potential customer, and you're boosting their numbers.

Advance against sales most likely, like with other deals we know about. If it was stright up payment Epic would need to move 3M full price units to break even, which is not going to happen.
In the article, "Elsewhere in the document, it notes that this payout is specifically being counted as revenue for the exclusivity deal and isn't related to revenue from sales of the game." which I would take to mean it isn't just an advance against sales.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Of course. Why would they give it away for not even using their platform? They want more active users. You pick the games up, you have to use the Epic launcher to run them, you're using the platform so you're a potential customer, and you're boosting their numbers.
I was hoping somebody figured out a workaround. Oh well. My backlog is already going to take me a decade to finish, so it's no big deal.

Jezal_k23

Test if you can download the game and then close Epic and just run the .exe. I would doubt so but might be worth a try.

passerby

Arcane
In the article, "Elsewhere in the document, it notes that this payout is specifically being counted as revenue for the exclusivity deal and isn't related to revenue from sales of the game." which I would take to mean it isn't just an advance against sales.

What it says is that it's not accounted as revenue from game sales, it doesn't exclude the possibilty that Epic won't send them any sales revenue untill it recoup these 10M.

Of course it's not impossible, since with Fortnites 200M monthly revenue, they certainly can afford to burn some money... It'll be clear after next quarterly report.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
holy shit infinitron, you're the only one that posted in the last page

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom