Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

The Real Fanboy
btw reading the st.george stuff if that is his new project I maybe think the artist working on the game is Hannah (who did the fierce outer worlds art) since her and Josh and i think Kate went on a medieval art exhibition field trip during the summer. Tho they could just all love super old book art made by monks as much as Josh
QSGbFWI.png

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
Will The Outer Worlds 2 go up against Starfield? Will Obsidian be able to beat Bethesda with that?

Will Todd's new IP be able to go up against Cainarsky's new IP?

Bethesda is superior as game mechanics. If they find a good writer and do not simplify the game again, (for console players) they have the capacity to do better.

Bethesda is definately not superior at game mechanics. They are great in building a vast space to explore with lots WOW moments hidden in that space. That's about it.

Efe

Erudite
id take bethesda's X over obsidians idea of it..
now X could be.. stealth? (hellooo! alpha protocol?) character building? (look at poe and despair) QA? (literally any obsidian game is more bug ridden than any bethsoft game) Complexity? (beth has free form spell makers, housing,etc.. obs has... weapon mods! worst stronghold in history! amazing ship to ship combat!)

I could go on but I won't.

But I could.

Neerasrc

Learned
Will The Outer Worlds 2 go up against Starfield? Will Obsidian be able to beat Bethesda with that?

Will Todd's new IP be able to go up against Cainarsky's new IP?

Bethesda is superior as game mechanics. If they find a good writer and do not simplify the game again, (for console players) they have the capacity to do better.

Bethesda is definately not superior at game mechanics. They are great in building a vast space to explore with lots WOW moments hidden in that space. That's about it.

Can you give me an example? Bethesda has a mechanical pool. Not every game focuses on the same mechanics. They are constantly building new mechanics on the same game engine. Remember Oblivion. By listen to your conversation your "hand to hand" talent is evolving or Think of the gray fox mask. The whole game world changes when you wear it. Think about what you did in Fallout 4. You can build houses. Or skyrim? Ride the dragon. All this is done in the same game engine. I'm not counting skill, stats, perks..etc, or other dynamics. Can you tell me a game engine where all these mechanics are made? unreal engine? Funny.

mogwaimon

Magister
More like terrible index finger. Look at that abomination. The anatomy is all fucked up, like it's disconnected from the rest of the hand fucked up.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Nah, nah Roguey and Prime Junta . He has directed the audio on all of their projects since Pillars anyway. So this might mean we see others take on the role on individual projects.

He's still directing them. Have you listened to the Deadfire soundtrack? That's "more cowbell" non-ironically, man.

What? Thats exactly what I said.

He got that role last month, not during Deadfire.

What I’m saying is that with this more general role it means he isn’t audio directing ALL projects anymore so we might see others taking on that responsibility on individual project.

We haven’t seen that since Pillars.

Its not like Sawyer is Lead Designer on every project as well to give a comparison.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Justin Bell is now the *Studio Audio Director*.
This perfectly illustrates how Feargus has pushed Obsidian to become a wasteland of mediocrity over these past few years.
naw, justin bell does greeat work. The music is sometimes just okay, especially pillars 2, which imo have worse music than pillars 1, but the actual in game sounf effects, ambiances, etc are really damn solid. From thr sounf of ship sailing, combat effects, etc are all p great

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Pillars of Eternity 1 had a great soundtrack

Tyranny is good as well. Very dark and epic mood.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom