Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Cadmus

Arcane
Yes, because Mr. OldSeriousGuy here doesn't like long games and is too retarded to replay a level by himself instead of being forced to do it.
lolol

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Cool. I can spend another 15 hours on that map and master it. I already spent 15h on Sapienza when it was free because it's so detailed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free (apparently limited) "access" to Episode 3: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-summer-pack/

HITMAN: SUMMER PACK

Its Summer and it’s the season for travels, therefore we invite you all to Marrakesh, for FREE.

** Available to download for a Limited Time Only **

If you can’t get enough heat – join us in Marrakesh, Morroco, a city of contrasts where old meets new. Where the sun always shines and agents always… well, do what agents do best. Download the HITMAN: Summer Pack and experience everything from Episode 3, including the campaign mission, Escalation Contracts, 20 levels of location mastery and 120+ challenges! All this without any additional cost, but for a limited time only, starting on the 17th of July.

Note: Game access lasts for the Summer Pack period, but your saved progress will transfer to the full game when purchased.

Astamtae! (Arabic for ‘enjoy’)

The Summer Pack includes:

ICA Facility Location
  • 2 story missions
  • 2 Escalation Contracts
  • 40+ Challenges
  • 17 achievements / Trophies
Marrakesh Location offers:
  • ‘The Gilded Gage’ story mission
  • 8 Escalation Contracts
  • 20 levels of Marrakesh Mastery (including 6 gear/weapon unlocks)
  • 90+ Challenges
  • 7 achievements / Trophies
  • Future Re-activated Elusive Targets in Marrakesh
  • And More.
*Please note that the HITMAN: Summer Pack does not include any of the missions or content from the Bonus Episode.

sullynathan

Arcane
I haven't even bought the game, yet I am being given most of the content. By this rate, the full game will be available to me by next year. What a time to be alive.

mck

Cipher
I haven't even bought the game, yet I am being given most of the content. By this rate, the full game will be available to me by next year. What a time to be alive.

Note: Game access lasts for the Summer Pack period, but your saved progress will transfer to the full game when purchased.

Bocian

Arcane
I'm a spoiled shitstain and I am ENTITLED to having everything NAO
So, everyone who played pre-DLC era full release games before digital sales were so widespread is an entitled shitstain? If someone's paying for a game (or anything else) with real money, it's their goddamn right to have some expectations.
"I'm paying for a dinner somewhere. In a span of a few hours I receive the order "in episodes" - a steak first, the potatoes an hour later, and vegetables another hour later. But I don't complain because I'm not an entitled shitstain and the cooks aren't my slaves, besides I'm an old man already and I eat very slowly so it suits me. That's why I should endorse and support this form of serving food no matter the common sense". Great logic on your side here. I thought you're a bit more reasonable than that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free Colorado map for a limited time from 6pm CEST today: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-halloween-pack/

HITMAN Halloween Pack

Embrace the horror.

The HITMAN Halloween Pack is a FREE download that invites you to Colorado and gives you full access to everything the location has to offer for a limited time. You’ll be able to play the “Freedom Fighters” mission, all of the Escalation Contracts and Featured Contracts in Colorado as well as use Contract Mode to create your own Contracts.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=ssyoV0qf-pQ

The download will roll out to each platform throughout the day, but we expect that that all platforms can download it from 6pm CEST. Enjoy!

In the spirit of Halloween, we’ve also created 10 Featured Contracts that are spooky, creepy or otherwise frightening. We had a lot of fun making them and we hope you’ll enjoy playing through them. We created some that are focused on disguises, others tell spooky stories through the briefing and others are plain mayhem – let us know what you think!

As always, thanks for your love and support for HITMAN.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just can't think of any way to make a game where both stealth and shoot-outs fit the engine/mechanics and are actually fun.
This may be a bit out of left field but HITMAN™ comes to mind.
Never played them but that seems kind of hard for me to see. Can you explain?
Not in exhaustive depth, but I'll try to touch on it a bit.

HITMAN™ is certainly a stealth game first, and that's the "best" way to play it, but when things go wrong: first, it's possible to escape and get a disguise to lose heat; and second, I remember it being very engaging to fight enemies, as you're always outnumbered and trying to escape, and your character is by no means invulnerable, yet he is the toughest dude around and can certainly make a go of it against several enemies at once. Plus there is a large variety of weapons with satisfying feedback. So you're committing a crime, you're observed, a guy starts a fight, then if it's loud more guys come, you have to fight your way to a place of safety and then keep hidden long enough or get disguised quickly enough to get out of there in one piece.

In other words, violence and stealth have a nice balance as tools and both are useful (though full Rambo is rarely viable).

To be honest, I'm usually going for "ghost" type runs so I avoid the combat generally, but what is there is good and it works.

Lurker47

Savant
I just can't think of any way to make a game where both stealth and shoot-outs fit the engine/mechanics and are actually fun.
This may be a bit out of left field but HITMAN™ comes to mind.
Never played them but that seems kind of hard for me to see. Can you explain?
Not in exhaustive depth, but I'll try to touch on it a bit.

HITMAN™ is certainly a stealth game first, and that's the "best" way to play it, but when things go wrong: first, it's possible to escape and get a disguise to lose heat; and second, I remember it being very engaging to fight enemies, as you're always outnumbered and trying to escape, and your character is by no means invulnerable, yet he is the toughest dude around and can certainly make a go of it against several enemies at once. Plus there is a large variety of weapons with satisfying feedback. So you're committing a crime, you're observed, a guy starts a fight, then if it's loud more guys come, you have to fight your way to a place of safety and then keep hidden long enough or get disguised quickly enough to get out of there in one piece.

In other words, violence and stealth have a nice balance as tools and both are useful (though full Rambo is rarely viable).

To be honest, I'm usually going for "ghost" type runs so I avoid the combat generally, but what is there is good and it works.
Ah, OK, so it's certainly a lot more stealth-based than action but direct combat is effective enough to feel satisfying. The Outer Worlds doesn't seem to be like that though and I reckon that's something easier to implement in a third-person game (not sure what I'm basing this on; kind of just going off of intuition)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
To be honest, I'm usually going for "ghost" type runs so I avoid the combat because I have no skill for aiming and moving and whatnot. Which is why I like 30 year old slow motion games like Thief where you sneak up on blind people to bonk them.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Does anyone play this with the opportunity highlighters and batvision turned off?

These two makes the game seem dumb - but I can't imagine playing without them. It's already such a chore when starting a new mission to familiarize with the oversized maps.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone play this with the opportunity highlighters and batvision turned off?

These two makes the game seem dumb - but I can't imagine playing without them. It's already such a chore when starting a new mission to familiarize with the oversized maps.
i played everything from hitman 1 to 2 without any hints/maps/whatsoever.

the levels are memorizeable very easily as most of them are well laid and have quite alot of signs and landmarks

oldbonebrown

Arcane

the levels are memorizeable very easily as most of them are well laid and have quite alot of signs and landmarks

Aight.
For me the fun with this game really got going once I had roughly learned the maps. The initial mission on each map was mostly a drag. I found there to be not enough to do in the moment to moment gameplay to be engaging - until I knew the map well enough to attempt it with some speed.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Just uninstall. It is a shit series that peaked with Blood Money which was 'ok'. Anyone who defends this game has shit taste. It is a gamey console game, it is not a decent stealth experience, or assassin experience, or an FPS experience. It weaves its way through each of those genres without doing a good job of any of them. Whatever type of gameplay you want, you can get better in some other game.

Also turning the noob-o-vision off doesn't improve anything or make you have to learn anything interesting. It just means you have to waste your time walking around everywhere and making a mental note of the locations of the several items you can use to kill the target. It annoys me people would support this shit.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Aight.
For me the fun with this game really got going once I had roughly learned the maps. The initial mission on each map was mostly a drag. I found there to be not enough to do in the moment to moment gameplay to be engaging - until I knew the map well enough to attempt it with some speed.
i think kinda like some blood money level, first 30 minutes of each level i just go around and memorize the map, then reload and start formulating my murder plan after i become at least familiar with the layout (just layout, not details like disguise locations, guards / people with disguise that are isolated, items, etc.)

for first try, i usually go with the straightest possible method i find. it is sometimes the scripted events, sometimes not, but the first try of the level, i learn more about the details, such as disguises, etc, and second try onwards i try to get the scripted kills. after several times, i turn on the challenge hints to get the rest of the challenges i didn't discover.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Aight.

You need to listen to the dialog and read the intel to figure out opportunities without guidance. For me that's a big part of the fun of the game, but if you don't like it and want to focus on stealth alone then maybe leave the guides on. It depends on the player.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Just uninstall. It is a shit series that peaked with Blood Money which was 'ok'. Anyone who defends this game has shit taste. It is a gamey console game, it is not a decent stealth experience, or assassin experience, or an FPS experience. It weaves its way through each of those genres without doing a good job of any of them. Whatever type of gameplay you want, you can get better in some other game.

Also turning the noob-o-vision off doesn't improve anything or make you have to learn anything interesting. It just means you have to waste your time walking around everywhere and making a mental note of the locations of the several items you can use to kill the target. It annoys me people would support this shit.
Hitman is the best series/franchise that's around. Only lapse in judgement was absolution, but I enjoyed it anyway.

It is not a stealth game, as it stands now it is a hitman game, because there is only death to spies which does the same i guess. Never really got into death to spies/alekhine's gun because the one that I tried made me start in bumfuck nowhere without an easy introduction. I know i am bad. save it.

Should I give death to spies/alekhines gun a try?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is a stealth game, the very first mission has you creeping through a mansion while the owner is home with about 20 bodyguards. It is just a bad version of it. The whole thing is dumb, and is nothing like a hitman too. It is super goofy and gamey. Characters walk the exact same set of waypoints constantly, repeating the exact same conversations and actions. All you need to do is watch what they do, then go to one of the waypoints and gank them with one of only several options. You can shoot a guy in the face in a hotel or whatever, and everyone continues like nothing happened, as long as you change clothes. You have a ticket tout who you need to get a ticket from, and there is a ho hum convenient bathroom right next to him, turn the tap on and he will investigate. Why? And they wont see you in the mirror creeping up behind them. There are massive chests all over the place that fit 2 bodies inside. You can walk right in front of a guy with a gun pointing at him but he can't see you because you are 20 feet away from him and his reaction range is 15 feet. And even if you walk past him even closer, he goes HUH?! but takes several seconds to react so you can just walk next to a wall and you are safe.

They seem determined to stop you from killing people with guns and stabbings and garrote like you could in other games, instead they want to pretend like the game has evolved into something more intellectual and less violent. So instead of finding a knife on a table and clicking it on the bad guy, you find a wrench on a table and click it on the chandelier above the bad guy. Or you find a turbo boost chip and you click it on the car the guy is driving instead. It is all the same shit. If anything it is less intense than knifing someone and trying to get away without being spotted. The series hasn't evolved at all since the 90s. It is still goofy, it now just has swanky graphics and bigger maps which do nothing but make you walk further. It is basically just a memory game and a heavy dose of repetition. We could have much better games if people stopped hyping shit ones.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It is a stealth game, the very first mission has you creeping through a mansion while the owner is home with about 20 bodyguards. It is just a bad version of it. The whole thing is dumb, and is nothing like a hitman too. It is super goofy and gamey. Characters walk the exact same set of waypoints constantly, repeating the exact same conversations and actions. All you need to do is watch what they do, then go to one of the waypoints and gank them with one of only several options. You can shoot a guy in the face in a hotel or whatever, and everyone continues like nothing happened, as long as you change clothes. You have a ticket tout who you need to get a ticket from, and there is a ho hum convenient bathroom right next to him, turn the tap on and he will investigate. Why? And they wont see you in the mirror creeping up behind them. There are massive chests all over the place that fit 2 bodies inside. You can walk right in front of a guy with a gun pointing at him but he can't see you because you are 20 feet away from him and his reaction range is 15 feet. And even if you walk past him even closer, he goes HUH?! but takes several seconds to react so you can just walk next to a wall and you are safe.

They seem determined to stop you from killing people with guns and stabbings and garrote like you could in other games, instead they want to pretend like the game has evolved into something more intellectual and less violent. So instead of finding a knife on a table and clicking it on the bad guy, you find a wrench on a table and click it on the chandelier above the bad guy. Or you find a turbo boost chip and you click it on the car the guy is driving instead. It is all the same shit. If anything it is less intense than knifing someone and trying to get away without being spotted. The series hasn't evolved at all since the 90s. It is still goofy, it now just has swanky graphics and bigger maps which do nothing but make you walk further. It is basically just a memory game and a heavy dose of repetition. We could have much better games if people stopped hyping shit ones.
Wow, it's a game! Revolutionary thinking.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Wow, it's a game! Revolutionary thinking.
It actually is if you understand my point. My point is that if you are making it 'gamey', then make it fun. Give me jetpacks and lazer trip bombs and rubber chickens with explosives inside. Games like No One Lives Forever understood this. Gamey games should be all about fun. Or if you want it to be realistic and more like a simulation, then don't let 100 people walk into my electric puddle, or me put vomit juice in a VIP's drink who runs to the bathroom and his bodyguard stands outside uninterested. Make it a simulation that is realistic and intense, or make it a game that is fun. Currently it is neither.

SwiftCrack

Arcane

Heated Gamer Moment

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom