Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One Handed Games

YldriE

Learned
If you don't have one already, get a "gaming" mouse. Additional buttons are a boon and it will completely transform your PC experience, gaming or not, injury or not.

Don't worry about the number of buttons, pick one that's comfortable and the rest will follow. There are "MMO" mice with a full numpad, or more common mice with like 3-4 additional buttons, but whichever you pick, there is no such thing as "too many", don't let that be the argument that holds you back. Worst case scenario you only use a few, then you gradually use them all as you get used to the layout.

My own mouse is a G600, and indeed it took me a while before I used everything, but various game-specific hindrances, hurdles and gimmicks eventually got me to my current layout and there was no point where it felt "just like a nice thing to have". The day I started using it, I didn't see myself going back ever again. Action games, tactical games, turn-based RPGs, even basic browsing, every single thing you do is improved tenfold.

Once you get used to a gaming mouse, you realise it's insane how we criminally underuse our mouse hand.

If you get one that lacks an official customization tool, use the third-party software X-Mouse Button Control.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Being turn-based, most roguelikes are fair game (Dungeons of Dredmor is a good entry point if you're new to the genre).

The Red Knight

Erudite
http://progressquest.com
Game controls
Progress Quest belongs to a new breed of "fire and forget" RPG's. There is no need to interact with Progress Quest at all; it will make progress with you or without you.
You can quit Progress Quest by using the window close box, or by hitting <Alt>-<F4> (hold down the <Alt> key while hitting <F4>), but there is really little need to ever do so. Please note that your character will not make any progress except when Progress Quest is running. Your character will make no progress once you quit the program, until you start Progress Quest again.

Keyboard quick reference
Alt-F4 - Exit Progress Quest
It's never too late to experience the original idle game joke. :shittydog:

Barbalos

Savant
Basically any adventure game; Gemini Rue, Heroine's Quest, Whispers of a Machine (newer one I'm just starting and it seems alright) are some I like.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
iirc Expeditions: Conquistador can be played with just the mouse. I think the same goes for Expeditions: Viking.

Lagi

Savant
coincidence ? dont think so
frhuqbbs1em14q06g.jpg
FTL

however, you need at least stump of left hand to press space to pause combat

YldriE

Learned
Space, escape, tab, page down and page up are all on my mouse.

Repeat: get a fucking gaming mouse, people!

Gibson

Learned

I never knew I like to play puzzle games until i got into zachtronic games.

Just wanted to say thanks you for recommending this. I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with a puzzle game. Probably Primordia, though that doesn't really count. Either way, it's great, thanks!

you should also try Hexcells games; a very nice spin on the minesweeper.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You like programming.
Is this what programming is? Because if it is, the only thing these programming applications need to do is create a nice UI and I'll be an excellent fucking programmer.
The nice UI is in the theater of your mind.

You either get a nice IDE, nice syntax, or nice safety. Pick one, and it'll still be mediocre.

Gibson

Learned
You like programming.

i sometimes need to dabble with python for my work and I don't mind it, actually it saves me a bunch of time for menial crap, but it's a good distance away from actually liking it :)

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I thought this thread was going to be about H-games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom