Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

I wonder how much money Epic threw at this. Apparently, the paid 9,5 million Euro for Control exclusivity.

Yeah, holy shit Epic got ripped off. Paying millions for "exclusivity" only to see Microsoft give the game out free with a $5/month subscription :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure numbers were transferred between bank accounts to sort that out. Getting sold to Microsoft would not make contracts between Obsidian and third parties void just like that. Mostly likely MS just bought Epic out of the deal.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wonder how much money Epic threw at this. Apparently, the paid 9,5 million Euro for Control exclusivity.

Yeah, holy shit Epic got ripped off. Paying millions for "exclusivity" only to see Microsoft give the game out free with a $5/month subscription :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure numbers were transferred between bank accounts to sort that out. Getting sold to Microsoft would not make contracts between Obsidian and third parties void just like that. Mostly likely MS just bought Epic out of the deal.

The contract here was between Private Division and Epic though. And was made after Obsidian was aquired by Microsoft, not before.

Not to say that Microsoft didn’t pay to get it on the MS store. Or they used blackmail, considering they could have made live a lot harder for PD.

Delterius

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Signing an exclusivity deal gives Epic sole publishing rights on PC. Microsoft paid them millions in order to get it on gamepass.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember that GamePass for PC didn't exist when the Epic exclusivity deal was announced back in March. It was just regular purchases on Microsoft Store at first. Although I guess at that point industry insiders would have known that it was coming?

Perkel

Arcane
Remember that GamePass for PC didn't exist when the Epic exclusivity deal was announced back in March. It was just regular purchases on Microsoft Store at first. Although I guess at that point industry insiders would have known that it was coming?

It existed on PC since Forza Horizon 3 2 years ago i know because i used it back then also for 1$. What changed recently was that it was officially confirmed that they will be joining both PC and Xbox into one gamepass. Previously it was only PC. Also back then PC version of it was empty as Betsheda gameplay design department.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It existed on PC since Forza Horizon 3 2 years ago i know because i used it back then also for 1$. What changed recently was that it was officially confirmed that they will be joining both PC and Xbox into one gamepass. Previously it was only PC. Also back then PC version of it was empty as Betsheda gameplay design department.

Not sure what you're referring to. It definitely launched in June this year.

Looking at Google, I can see there are rumors about it going back to October 2018, so Epic would have known it was coming.

EDIT: Ah wait, it does seem that there were a limited number of "Play Anywhere" games that were also available on PC through the Xbox Game Pass program.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Signing an exclusivity deal gives Epic sole publishing rights on PC. Microsoft paid them millions in order to get it on gamepass.

Yeah, but again. Private Division/Take 2 owns the publishing rights for Outer Worlds. Not Obsidian or Microsoft. (Microsoft owns them for any other games in the series as they own the IP, but not this one)

There are three options really

- Microsoft paid Epic for rights on PC (If they didn't secure the game to the MS store initially)

or

- Microsoft already secured the Microsoft Store when they bought Obsidian and updated the contract with PD.

or

- The second one, except without initially securing the MS Store. In that case Microsoft could have just said that it was implied so with a bunch of lawyers. I think neither Take2 or Epic would have gone to war with them over something they had already invested money in.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Off-Topic , for some reason in Epic Store the game's price of the pre-order in my region at same price as Greedfall ( that would be $50 dolars instead of $60) but not Windows Store..

Last edited:
Disco Elysium coming out 10 days before this will probably suck for Obsidian. Give everyone a crazy innovative RPG, then follow up with something that feels extremely safe, mediocre and done to death...

Graphics aside (which have a really generic style), every gameplay video so far looks like something that could've done in Fallout 3, ELEVEN years ago.
disco elysium is "literally what?" to nearly everyone outside of this site and other niche circles

That's because everyone is waiting for No Truce with Furries. :smug:

As for Disco Autisium, the last time someone promised crazy innovative RPG we ended up with Numanuma.

Wait, did TTON really promise to do anything innovative after the initial pitch that got scrapped? Wasn’t the whole point that it would be a throwback?

They initially had interesting ideas with Tides, Crisis system, the way stat check worked, consumables and more.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
EDIT: Ah wait, it does seem that there were a limited number of "Play Anywhere" games that were also available on PC through the Xbox Game Pass program.

Gamepass was launched in 2017 for consoles, but existed simultaneously on PC in the form of "play anywhere" titles.

The selection of PC games was large and they ran the same frequent $1 discounts. The only difference now is that Microsoft is investing more heavily into it.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane

And you said you weren't a banker

Fairfax

Arcane
How many words on average constitute a line?
The rule of thumb is ten.

So MCA wrote 100 000 words in a week or two? Seems implausible. It's like 1/8 of Torment.
Jason Bergman said Ulysses had around 12k lines, so MCA wrote ~120,000 words for him (possibly delivered at once, considering Vosovic said 'over 10k'). It's impressive even for MCA, yes, but it was (almost) all dialogue, which made it easier for him to sustain that output.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...019/09/20/new-gameplay-today-the-outer-worlds

New Gameplay Today – The Outer Worlds

Obsidian's upcoming sci-fi title The Outer Worlds seems to be fully embracing the "RP" part of RPG. What I'm trying to get at is that it gives you the freedom to take on scenarios how you want to – including a super-dumb, melee-focused maniac. At least that's how Joe took on the world during his latest hands-on session. Yikes!

Today's episode takes place immediately after the character-creation, so it should give you a nice idea of what you can expect from the opening moments. Perhaps you won't decide to attack the first friendly NPC you encounter. Or the second. Or the third. Look, Joe seems to have some issues. That's not for me or Leo to judge. Regardless of his unquenchable thirst for blood, you can see that killing everyone doesn't necessarily lock you out of missions. For all the Joe Jubas in the world, "Whew."

The Outer Worlds is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on October 25.

It's similar to VGC video, but with annoying journos talking over it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Gotta say. Apart from the few bugs that have cropped up (And may be down to it being the PS4 port), the games looking better and better with each new look. Sound Design, Meele and actual gibs have all improved from one-two months ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom