Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

would have been better if the actual truck rolled

or if it did roll then it should have been better implemented into the headline

just saying

#autismlivesmatter

Codex Year of the Donut
Boogie is a terrible person, I have no idea why he's so popular. He's easily one of the most emotionally manipulative 'popular' gaming-related youtubers.

video his ex-girlfriend posted about how he treated her:

the "website" he met her on is a sugar-daddy website

"Boogie Calls His Haters Worse Than Nazis And Rapists"
https://streamable.com/8j7e0

"Boogie doesn't want to have kids for fear of molesting them"
https://streamable.com/te564

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
eh6e1hmjw0n31.jpg
Fuck you. I puked.

YldriE

Learned
Boogie is a terrible person, I have no idea why he's so popular. He's easily one of the most emotionally manipulative 'popular' gaming-related youtubers.

video his ex-girlfriend posted about how he treated her:

the "website" he met her on is a sugar-daddy website

For the record I don't care about YouTube culture but the way you get pulled into that guy's gravitational pull is Reddit-tier cringe.

She is no victim. She met him on a sugar daddy website because she was on a fucking sugar daddy website in the first place.

Sugar babies always get presented as the ones who get shafted in the equation, give me a fucking break. She get a man's life work and resources and all she is asked in exchange is to pretend to give a shit about him, cry me a river.

Lastly, "I don't want kids because I fear I would be a bad father" sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I've said my piece about that video before it's ridiculous to take women for their word when they speak about previous relationships if you want to diss boogie there's a shit load of content that doesn't involve a raging harpie.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sid Meier on the birth of Civilization, how it turned from a real-time game to a turn-based one, the One More Turn phenomena, "double it or cut it half". And he showcases an early version of Civ running on the actual development computer of the time.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/video-ars-talks-civilization-with-the-man-himself-sid-meier/

Video: Ars talks Civilization with the man himself: Sid Meier
This "War Stories" video explores how Civilization almost wasn't a turn-based game.

Although he comes from that wild time in gaming that gave us Trip Hawkins and the concept of "rock star developers," Sid Meier is not loud and brash. Nor is he looking to make anyone his bitch. These days he's more like your friendly gaming grandpa—as we spoke, he placed his words carefully and deliberately, as if he were positioning game pieces on a hex grid. He became animated as we discussed game mechanics but otherwise answered questions almost laconically, with a slight smile—after all, he's been dealing with the press for decades.

Meier spent a few hours walking us through the birth of Civilization, one of the most famous and lauded franchises in the history of gaming. It's among those rarest of titles that effectively mainstreamed an entire genre—in this case, the "4X game" (which stands for "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate"). Although Civilization wasn't the first strategy game on the market, it was the proverbial 800-pound gorilla—and it did for turn-based strategy games what Doom would do for the FPS genre a few years later.

But as so often happens with genre-defining games, Civilization started out as a very different experience.

No wine before its time
Meier explained how the design process for Civilization followed the release of Railroad Tycoon in 1990. The idea of simulating railroad ownership had indeed translated into a fun game, and Meier wanted to expand on the concept and give players the chance to manage an entire simulated world. Armed with some solid reference material that laid out the guideposts of how developing civilizations became civilizations, Meier and his team knocked together some early Civ prototypes.

But the concept didn't quite gel. Those early prototypes were stuck in real-time, with the player directing units and tech development without the structure and pacing imposed by turns. The team took some time away from Civ to complete another stalled project, a real-time Tom Clancy-esque spy game called Covert Action. Switching focus to Covert Action ended up providing the perspective that Meier needed—and when he eventually set his sights back on Civ, he decided to shake things up a bit and change the game's flow by making it fully turn-based.

Just one more turn...
As with so many other sea changes, the magnitude of the switch wasn't really obvious at the time. But Meier and the rest of the developers realized they had accidentally bottled lightning when early testers kept reporting that they were losing track of time while playing—they got the "I looked up and it was 3am" story from so many testers that the development team put a concerted effort into trying to figure out exactly what they'd managed to create.

The crux of the "just one more turn" phenomena, according to Meier, came down to how the game allowed players to structure their own expectations. Whether it's in real-time or chopped up in turns, a game like Civ gives players short-, medium-, and long-term goals to head toward, and there's rarely a moment where you've achieved all of those goals at once. But by quantizing gameplay into distinct turns, Civ provides the illusion that the player isn't that far away from nailing down all the loose ends standing between them and victory. Turns become distinct steps on the road to victory—and once you're into the mid-game of Civ, that victory doesn't seem that many turns away.

"You're almost not playing in the moment," Meier told us. "You're playing in the future—and that future is just one more turn ahead."

It's hard to argue with the results—Civilization still dominates the 4X genre to this day.

(Make sure to stick around until the end of the video—Meier was able to rustle up one of the original Civ dev boxes and demo a prerelease version of the game for us!)

Also photos of Firaxis office at the article.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait, the Game Gear was £100 at release? That puts it into the impulse purchase threshold. How does that compare to other handhelds?

It ate batteries like candy. It needed 6 AA batteries and that only gave it ~4 hours of life, compared to the Game Boy which needed 4 AA batteries and gave ~15 hours of life. Sega even had to release a couple of battery packs for it just to keep up.

Sega also fucked up support for the thing, meaning it had a meager library compared to the Game Boy.

But hey, it had one of the neatest add-ons for any handheld: A TV Tuner!

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I never owned the TV tuner but I remember hearing that it ate batteries even faster than gaming.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wait, the Game Gear was £100 at release? That puts it into the impulse purchase threshold. How does that compare to other handhelds?
Keep in mind that £100 at the time of the Sega Game Gear's release in 1991 is equivalent to about £216 today. :M According to an article at Pocket Gamer, the initial American retail price for the Game Gear was $150 versus $90 for the Nintendo Gameboy in 1989, equivalent in 2019 to about $283 and $186, respectively, although prices probably fell quickly, so the Gameboy might have been substantially cheaper by the time the Game Gear arrived on shelves.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...s_look_back_at_the_making_of_Jedi_Outcast.php

This week, Aspyr Media rereleased Raven Software's 2002 Star Wars game Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast on PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

It's a notable port that captures a particular moment in first-person game development history after the foundational days of Doom but before the explosive era of Halo, Call of Duty, and their brethren.

To commemorate the game's rerelease, developers Eric Biessman, Mike Gummelt, Chris Foster, and James Monroe dropped by the GDC Twitch channel today for a chat about Jedi Outcast's design and development. The group was able to share stories about working in classic game tools, collaborating with LucasArts, and the technical challenges that defined development in 2001.

For fans of Star Wars games, it was an exceptionally delightful chat and a wonderful look back at an era of game development that's only begun to be viewed as a "classic" era of game-making. You can watch the full conversation in the video above, and for more developer interviews and select GDC talks, be sure to follow the GDC Twitch channel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom