Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire - full screen mode

Diggfinger

Arcane
Hey all,

small - but annoying! - (micro) issue:

Yesterday I hooked my laptop to an external monitor to enjoy Grimwah in it's full glory.

Upon re-launching the game today, however, it only shows in 'windowed mode' (game covers 3/4 of screen, rest is black).
- I've tried changing the settings: full-screen mode on/off, changing resolution from 1920x to 1320x etc.
- Also changed my laptops resolution from 1920*1080 (recommended) to lower and back up.

So far, nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Horton

Educated
set your desktop to 1024 x 768

but......you have to have the regular stock settings in the game for that to work or you will get a black screen.

delete the cfg file in grimoire folder to reset the settings, before you do it, or go in game and make sure scaling is off and windowed mode is off.

Solanacean

Educated
Sounds an awful lot like the recently identified issue with scaling going haywire when dpi virtualization kicks in. For now, try this workaround: right-click on the game's executable file (Grimoire.exe), select Properties, go to Compatibility tab, check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, click Apply, then click OK.

zjMW6l3.jpg

Last edited:

Barbalos

Savant
Check out the IntegerScaler app, it's perfect for stuff like this. I used either this or the app Lossless Scaling on Steam (can't recall which) and it works fine. Lossless Scaling costs a few bucks though so maybe try IntegerScaler and see if that works for you.

http://tanalin.com/en/projects/integer-scaler/

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thanks guys!

I solved by changing my resolution to 1024 -> changing to game's resolution to same and restarting the game.

Then I changed my display settings back but the game still works with 1024.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Steam forum would be a better place to ask this, as Cleve is more likely to see it there.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hey all,

small - but annoying! - (micro) issue:

Yesterday I hooked my laptop to an external monitor to enjoy Grimwah in it's full glory.

Upon re-launching the game today, however, it only shows in 'windowed mode' (game covers 3/4 of screen, rest is black).
- I've tried changing the settings: full-screen mode on/off, changing resolution from 1920x to 1320x etc.
- Also changed my laptops resolution from 1920*1080 (recommended) to lower and back up.

So far, nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solution to mouse problems - reduce mouse polling rate to 125 Hz in driver software

Solution to improper scaling - set your launch options in steam properties for the game to -w1024 -h768

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
To add to this. I tried checking the disable scaling on high dpi settings and that did not do anything for me. Didn't bother changing my screen resolution, keeping it at 1920x1080. Simply doing nothing more than setting compatibility mode for grimoire.exe to Windows XP Service Pack 3 immediately fixed it so that I got the full height of my screen scaled in game.

However windowed mode does not appear to do anything when I select it. Not a big deal because I never play games windowed, but considering the black bars from the aspect ratio, there could be some benefit to having windowed mode work so you could fill the rest of the screen real estate.

Edit:
By changing my desktop resolution to 1024x768, Grimoire successfully uses the entire screen for display without any black bars, which appear if I use 1920x1080. It would be nice if Cleve could find a way to make this work for 1920x1080 to avoid having to change the resolution before starting the game.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
necro

I've tried this:

changing my desktop resolution to 1024x768, Grimoire successfully uses the entire screen for display without any black bars

but incredibly, the game automatically switches my resolution back to 1080p and then it only runs in the top left corner of the screen. I've been using this metod of lowering my resolution a lot for older games but I've never seen a game automatically changing it back. I've tried the "Disable scaling on high DPI" option, the Win XP compatibility option, the launch parameter in Steam but nothing helps. Game doesn't want to be run in 768p. I can't even change the resolution in the game Settings, it's stubbornly on 1080p.

I wouldn't fiddle with this, running it fulscreen with scaling is fine but some of the text is way too tiny and I just wanted to see if I can improve that. Seems I can't.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
necro
I can't even change the resolution in the game Settings, it's stubbornly on 1080p.
but some of the text is way too tiny and I just wanted to see if I can improve that.

set your desktop to 1024 x 768
you have to have the regular stock settings in the game for that to work or you will get a black screen.

delete the cfg file in grimoire folder to reset the settings, before you do it, or go in game and make sure scaling is off and windowed mode is off.

I'm testing this now for a new old play session

from a while ago (8 yrs?)
https://youtu.be/gHHxIkMYNDE

Darth Canoli

Arcane
cvv
It's a bit tricky but it works just fine in full screen after a couple of tries/restart (and sometimes re-install).
If the post above doesn't help, just check the main thread for more recent solutions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
cvv
It's a bit tricky but it works just fine in full screen after a couple of tries/restart (and sometimes re-install).
If the post above doesn't help, just check the main thread for more recent solutions.

I know, I've tried everything in the world, nothing worked. I've asked people here, I've asked Cleve on the forum, I've PMd him, radio silence. I guess he knows about the problem but doesn't have the bandwith, will or ability to fix it.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
cvv

I know, I've tried everything in the world, nothing worked. I've asked people here, I've asked Cleve on the forum, I've PMd him, radio silence. I guess he knows about the problem but doesn't have the bandwith, will or ability to fix it.
That really is unfortunate. I had both full screen and mouse float issues and tried multiple approaches with nothing working; the solution (for both) for me ended up being to set the in-game resolution to 1024x768 while leaving that of the desktop alone, leaving the scaling options off (but on from within-game), and setting compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 3. That you can't change the resolution within the game settings is peculiar.. I wonder what may be causing that?

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I'm no expert and i didn't launch the game in ages, did you really searched the main thread for keywords?
I know i got the solution either from there or from steam or gog forums.
It's not easy but it works (at least on windows 8, if you're using 10, you should add a prayer or two)

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Hey cvv
could you provide your hardware setup?
Like are you running the exe on a PC or w/e and your screen resolution + OS
It is frustrating.

My recommendation is to save your party after creating (or save yourself the hassle and use the premade for testing purposes)
2. lower your monitor's resolution to 1024x768
3. delete the cfg file found in the common folder for steam games (if u r on steam)
4. fire up the game and I noticed the game defaults to that native 1024x768 resolution which is what I think Cleve defaulted to after an overhaul
5. I found the text is readable although still difficult to read especially things like status but other things are readable like spells etc.
5a. I tried the lossless scaling app from steam but that didn't seem to resolve any issue because my screen and the game are both already at 1024x768...and that fills the screen area of a 1080p monitor

as far as Cleve's game goes I think the code is based, at this point, on old tech. He would have to do a major overhaul to bring the game up to standards of today's games. Possibly lowering the resolutions to a lower res than 768 "may" resolve some eyesight issues.

Good luck.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
That really is unfortunate. I had both full screen and mouse float issues and tried multiple approaches with nothing working; the solution (for both) for me ended up being to set the in-game resolution to 1024x768 while leaving that of the desktop alone, leaving the scaling options off (but on from within-game), and setting compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 3. That you can't change the resolution within the game settings is peculiar.. I wonder what may be causing that?
The game saves the monitor's resolution when the player first fires up the exe. Deleting the cfg file resets the exe's first reading of the monitor's resolution and subsequently changing the monitor's resolution becomes the new default on initial running of the exe.
Does that make sense?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The game saves the monitor's resolution when the player first fires up the exe. Deleting the cfg file resets the exe's first reading of the monitor's resolution and subsequently changing the monitor's resolution becomes the new default on initial running of the exe.
Does that make sense?
It does, yes, thank you for clarifying it for me. My computer knowledge is only slightly above rudimentary and if it weren't for the considerate information exchange detailing troubleshooting I'm afraid I'd be without recourse and miss out on quite a lot. Considering the trouble some are having I suppose I ought to consider myself rather lucky that I was able to get Grimoire running at full screen with no mouse floating issues in under a half hour by following the advice in this very thread.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Hey cvv
could you provide your hardware setup?
Like are you running the exe on a PC or w/e and your screen resolution + OS
It is frustrating.

My recommendation is to save your party after creating (or save yourself the hassle and use the premade for testing purposes)
2. lower your monitor's resolution to 1024x768
3. delete the cfg file found in the common folder for steam games (if u r on steam)
4. fire up the game and I noticed the game defaults to that native 1024x768 resolution which is what I think Cleve defaulted to after an overhaul
5. I found the text is readable although still difficult to read especially things like status but other things are readable like spells etc.
5a. I tried the lossless scaling app from steam but that didn't seem to resolve any issue because my screen and the game are both already at 1024x768...and that fills the screen area of a 1080p monitor

as far as Cleve's game goes I think the code is based, at this point, on old tech. He would have to do a major overhaul to bring the game up to standards of today's games. Possibly lowering the resolutions to a lower res than 768 "may" resolve some eyesight issues.

Good luck.

If you want ancient code like Fastgraph's VESA library to work correctly on modern machines you will have to go to OpenGL which is hard but not impossible to port over to. If I had the energy I am sure I could do it in two weeks but I don't have two weeks to spare nowadays and I don't have the motivation to move everything over to OpenGL formats.

I determined that if worst came to worst you could always stretch to fit ratio. That has worked on every single system I have seen even if it introduced the jaggies a little. Almost all monitors still support 1024x768 full screen mode so I have never understood why problems always emerge on some systems. I really think only 5% of monitors, mostly super high resolution 4K screens experience these problems.

Something I talked to Shams about for a while was keeping all the Fastgraph code running in software memory buffers and then a single command to blit that to an OpenGL screen wrapper on the outside of the current code. That would probably work but I just don't have the motivation to get stuck into it. 25 years is enough. I don't mind some new areas, fixing a few bugs and adding MP3 scores but I just do not want to go back and mess with Grimoire that deeply when I am building an all-new all-purpose blobber engine in Unity that I may use the next ten years across the board for any game remotely similar. Think about the time investment - two weeks spent working on the new engine is a far better investment of time than a month faffing about with a port to OpenGL.

It will probably be quicker to rewrite Grimoire in true 3D in my new engine than spend any more time shedding tears of blood worried about DPI ratios and ratio asliasing. Much quicker in fact. I bet I can port Grimoire in 3 months into the new engine faster than I solve the infinite number of hassles originating with using the Fastgraph library from 1992.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
cvv

Going back to Grimoire in any way that involves deeply examining the code feels exactly like escaping a Nazi death camp and sneaking aboard an outbound train by hiding under the animal straw and waiting until the train gets to Poland so you can disembark. While you're lying in the straw hidden trying to tolerate the smell, suddenly you feel a riding crop poking you in the ass. You turn around the camp commandante is also hiding in the straw behind you with a sinister grin. "Vere dit you think you vere going, Joo? We knew about your plan a month ago. This train is going to Auschwitz dumbkopf. You have escaped Dachau and broken into Auschwitz, congratulations Mein Herren. Now yoo vill begin zee OpenGL port."

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Something I talked to Shams about for a while was keeping all the Fastgraph code running in software memory buffers and then a single command to blit that to an OpenGL screen wrapper on the outside of the current code. That would probably work but I just don't have the motivation to get stuck into it. 25 years is enough. I don't mind some new areas, fixing a few bugs and adding MP3 scores but I just do not want to go back and mess with Grimoire that deeply when I am building an all-new all-purpose blobber engine in Unity

Understandable. And if the trade off here is me being able to play Grimoire non-stretched but seeing your new game in another 20 years instead of much sooner then forget Grimoire and pump that Unity iron baby.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Have to necro this, since I changed laptop and have this issue.

Changing res/fullscreen/scaling in game doesn't do thing. I've switched desktop one to 1360x768, removed cfg file, but after running the game I doesn't seem to do shit.
Changing win res to any other also doesn't do shit either.

grimwahres.jpg

pls help

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Have to necro this, since I changed laptop and have this issue.

Changing res/fullscreen/scaling in game doesn't do thing. I've switched desktop one to 1360x768, removed cfg file, but after running the game I doesn't seem to do shit.
Changing win res to any other also doesn't do shit either.

grimwahres.jpg

pls help
Damn.. its been a minute since I last had to figure this one out; first of all are you on Windows? Because my most recent adventure with this issue had to be resolved in Linux using Proton, resorting to a Wine interface that enables downloading specific old Windows dll files and such like.

If you're using Windows, what I recall having to do was first of all setting the launcher to load under an older version of Windows, probably XP service pack 2 or 3 something like this. Then I turned off the scaling options under properties, launched the game and selected the lowest in-game resolution option in x32 bit. It sounds like, why would anyone ever do that, but I believe it was the only way I managed to get it running. Then you have to close the game entirely because Grimoire does not reflect video options without relaunching it, and it should launch then into a stretched mode that covers the entire screen.

If you're having mouse floating issues, I believe this is also resolved by the option of launching the game under previous versions of Windows, but if it is still not ideal, you can lower your mouse polling rate, which should correct it. I have a post above in this thread from about 3 years ago, which is the last time I had to figure this out on Windows, so maybe refer to that if my instructions here aren't correct since that was posted right after figuring it out.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I'm rich I'm gonna hire a bunch of code monkeys in Malaysia to port this ancient crap to Unreal Engine 5.

Game Awards 2028 here we go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom