Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
actual gibs

This doesn't seem to be tied to a perk this time, they randomly blown to pieces. I'd rather see dismemberment of where I shoot :/

Considering there's location based shooting and effects I wouldn't be sure this isn't how it will work in the end.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I was worried about companion not reacting properly if you fucked up things hards but hey.. Parvati can leave you if kill her boss. Also i like she stay with you out completly fear of let you alone around the Vale killing people lol

Bonerbill

Augur
Disco Elysium coming out 10 days before this will probably suck for Obsidian. Give everyone a crazy innovative RPG, then follow up with something that feels extremely safe, mediocre and done to death...
Please list any RPGs similar to new vegas that came out within the past 5 years because I want to play them. :D
Missing the point entirely. If I released Guitar Hero 7 today, would that make it fresh just because we haven't had one in years? No, it's a series that ran its course and looks dull now.

That's exactly how these "Fallout 3-like" RPGs look now. Since Fallout 3 came out we had over 11 years of technological and design changes. Some things like that terribly dull and floaty combat, the entirely horizontal exploration and that stale dialog style look dated as fuck - we now know and expect better. FFS, when F3 came out the combat already felt like crap, since then we had games like Dishonored, Prey, Deus Ex, EYE, nu-DOOM, Overwatch, Destiny, Titanfall and many others raising the bar and adding new concepts to FPS combat...

Cyberpunk looks like a game that's incorporating this evolution, but Outer Worlds doesn't even have any sense of verticallity in its combat or level design, it's literally like a Fallout 3 mod. And nothing Obsidian showed so far looks interesting enough to carry such a stale game. Might as well go play some New Vegas mods.

Imagine being this retarded.

"Hey guys, let's compare an AA game to a bunch of games with AAA development budgets."

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Hey guys, let's compare an AA game to a bunch of games with AAA development budgets."
Borderlands 1 is a AA game from TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO and combat looks a lot better than this crap. They even had vehicles and more vertical terrain.

Obsidian has a newer version of the Unreal engine, 10 years of technological/design progress, previous experience with this kind of game AND Microsoft's money. There's no excuse for combat looking so bad here.

Or worse, compare it to EYE.: Divine Cybermancy (as I mentioned above), a 100% indie RPG/FPS made 8 years ago by a studio with no previous experience. They even had multiplayer on top, and it still looks better and more interesting than this.

Quillon

Arcane
There's no excuse for combat looking so bad here.

What makes it look so bad to you? It even has dodging like in CP77 :P And for the record how did you find Elex' combat? Did you bash it too? I mean there is 20 years of "technological/design progress" but they still use their 20 year old system.

And there is a reason why I haven't played most the games you listed, they prioritize their features differently which makes most of them RPGs NOT :P I only played and finished Deus Ex HR and couple hours of MD before I dropped it, I haven't saw anything so much better than TOW's combat in MD and you can't even use iron sights in HR, they aren't even combat focused games, I had to shoot the guards for no reason just to see how combat played in MD and its vertical level design didn't matter when it required constant use of a second vision, which I hated and made me not continue playing the game.

Everyone praised MEA's combat, what good it did for the game's shit status?

Flou

Arbiter
Borderlands 1 is a AA game from TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO and combat looks a lot better than this crap. They even had vehicles and more vertical terrain.

Obsidian has a newer version of the Unreal engine, 10 years of technological/design progress, previous experience with this kind of game AND Microsoft's money. There's no excuse for combat looking so bad here.

In what universe Borderlands combat and the vehicles actually looked good or better than this? It was a fucking shit show to play, the vehicles were worse than in Rage. At least the combat was better than Rage's though both games suffered from bullet sponge disease.

They don't have much experience with Unreal engine games though. Who is left from the Alpha Protocol team? How many of the new people have good amount of experience with the engine? Microsoft money came late into the project, it's Private Division money that mostly funded the game.

I don't think the game should compete with Borderlands to begin with. One of the games is a generic shooter and the other a crpg.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

What makes it look so bad to you? It even has dodging like in CP77 :P And for the record how did you find Elex' combat? Did you bash it too? I mean there is 20 years of "technological/design progress" but they still use their 20 year old system.

And there is a reason why I haven't played most the games you listed, they prioritize their features differently which makes most of them RPGs NOT :P I only played and finished Deus Ex HR and couple hours of MD before I dropped it, I haven't saw anything so much better than TOW's combat in MD and you can't even use iron sights in HR, they aren't even combat focused games, I had to shoot the guards for no reason just to see how combat played in MD and its vertical level design didn't matter when it required constant use of a second vision, which I hated and made me not continue playing the game.

ELEX's combat is the worst part of the game, that's pretty much a consensus. And I like ELEX, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable for them to make such a shitty combat.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand: the combat in Outer Worlds look bad. Maybe the game is fucking amazing in everything else and will be a new PS:T or Arcanum (both legendary games with bad combat), but that will happen DESPITE the bad combat. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a game with good role-playing AND good combat, but apparently that's a controversial statement now...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's difficult when you're building everything from the ground up and also putting a lot of focus/attention on things that aren't combat (e.g. role-playing). It's always been this way, it will always be this way.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The combat looks fine, at least on par with fallout 4, and will have more build variety. That's more than enough for a RPG.

As a matter of fact I'd argue the combat looks almost as good as 2077's demo.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

ELEX's combat is the worst part of the game, that's pretty much a consensus. And I like ELEX, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable for them to make such a shitty combat.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand: the combat in Outer Worlds look bad. Maybe the game is fucking amazing in everything else and will be a new PS:T or Arcanum (both legendary games with bad combat), but that will happen DESPISE the bad combat. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a game with good role-playing AND good combat, but apparently that's a controversial statement now...

I dont think anyone would complain about having good combat, its just that complain about the combat when theyre aware is kinda pointless. Even Leonard said that while theyre trying to make a good combat , we shouldn't expect to be a CoD or Borderlands due the scope and budget of their project.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Outer Worlds combat doesn't look amazing, but none of the three "big fps rpgs" seem to have that. The other two games being Cyberpunk 2077 and Bloodlines 2.

Cross

Arcane
I can't take anyone seriously who holds up Borderlands as a gold standard of FPS design.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Most of the complaints in this thread seem to be based on early demos and trailers from 2018 and for some reason people desperately cling to those first impressions, despite the fact that almost everything looks much better in latest footage.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the complaints in this thread seem to be based on early demos and trailers from 2018 and for some reason people desperately cling to those first impressions, despite the fact that almost everything looks much better in latest footage.
Not only are you an Obsidian owner, you're also Infinitron. I don't think the Agenda button has ever been more appropriate.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't know why this is so hard to understand: the combat in Outer Worlds look bad.

In what way? :D

It doesn't seem to have that "RPG jank", gunplay looks to play like any other shooter on the market nowadays, melee could be stiff but there are confusing reports on that front :P that GI guy loves it apparently. Best people come up with so far itt is "not enough recoil". So what exactly does look bad to you?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand: the combat in Outer Worlds look bad. Maybe the game is fucking amazing in everything else and will be a new PS:T or Arcanum (both legendary games with bad combat), but that will happen DESPISE the bad combat. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a game with good role-playing AND good combat, but apparently that's a controversial statement now...

In theory, good combat + good role-playing is not an unreasonable ask, but in practice you rarely see both in the same game, especially if that game is an ARPG. In fact, off the top of my head (and bearing in mind that I haven’t had my Wellbutrin yet this morning) I can’t think of a single action RPG that does this.

I tend to think of good combat + good role playing as the holy grail of ARPG design. So far nobody’s found it, and if a developer does find it that will be a a hugely impressive achievement. In the meantime, its absence is regrettable, but entirely unsurprising.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All right, I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbf_6WNr0c my impressions:

• Looks like a much-prettier New Vegas
  • Music is nice and soothing
  • Nyoka has an annoying voice
  • Writing's all right, quite goofy
  • Quest design is rather "follow the quest compass" with a false option at the end, but that's par for the course, RPGs need these filler sidequests to pad game length. They try to make up for it with the dialogue.
  • Companion kill cutscenes are incredibly annoying why would anyone have ever thought this was a good idea
  • Shooting's rather New Vegas-y as well

Looks a bit like what Skyrim was to Oblivion, which millions of people loved. Probably good enough for lots of people (especially those disappointed with Fallout 4's changes to the formula), but not the revolution Tim Cain claimed it was and what Felipe wants.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I want sci-fi crossbows in this game.

47798-2-1347562061.jpg

And this bow

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom