Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So I haven't been following this game at all, but I Guess the lovecraft artstyle is kind of cool, I might give it a try .. IF

the combat gets improved. It looks incredible clunky, slow and frustrating with animations.

Is there any option to speed up the combat in any shape or form? Kind of a deal-breaker for me in a TB game

Modron

Arcane
So I haven't been following this game at all, but I Guess the lovecraft artstyle is kind of cool, I might give it a try .. IF

the combat gets improved. It looks incredible clunky, slow and frustrating with animations.

Is there any option to speed up the combat in any shape or form? Kind of a deal-breaker for me in a TB game
Can always try cheat engine since this game doesn't appear to be too demanding of hardware. A lot of people used that to accelerate Underrail for example.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It'll end on a cliffhanger, sorta :negative: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/posts/2625629

Greetings Brethren!

I know this sounds absurd (it definitely does to us!) but Stygian will be out in 5 days...

First of all, we want to send our deepest gratitude for all the patience you have shown towards us through these long years.

We sincerely hope that we were able to create something that was worth the wait. I personally know that each cultist in this team did his / her utmost best in the creation of Stygian. We fought really hard to fulfill all the promises that we made in our campaign, from the Explorer archetype to the Dreamlands quest.

I'd like to share some insight on the scope of the game as well. When I first wrote the script of Stygian, I wasn't aware that its scope would actually be much wider in terms of the playtime than what we envisioned for Reign of the Old Ones. The complete saga that I had written would have lasted around 50 hours to complete but we were trying to achieve a 15-20 hours experience with a lot of re-playability. At some point in the production, I was obliged to make a tough decision (like any good RPG): rushing the last chapter, breaking the pace of the game or complete it on a cliffhanger and leave some space for future installments.

Stygian is not a short game and it definitely can not be categorized as episodic, since it is teeming with content; but I have to state that we won't be solving all the mysteries at the end of this game. Going the other way would have spoiled some really good scenes, characters and situations for the sake of having just a closure. For better or for worse, I thought you needed to know that.

Now on the rewards, everything is ready except the Special Edition Game Tome DVDs. They are patiently waiting for the gold master copy to get printed. We will start shipping all the rewards together and your precious packages will start leaving us right with the release. We'll have completed sharing your game keys by then, so you can enjoy the game while waiting for your atrocious packages to arrive.

Brethren, we'd like to thank you all for giving us this chance and for being a part of the blackened ritual called Stygian. Forgive us for our faults and wish us good-bye for the journey into the unknown that is ahead of us.

It was an unforgettable experience to build something out of just a fragile dream.

But didn't Mr. Lovecraft take a lot of his inspiration from dreams as well?

Until we meet again in the Dreamlands.

Can Oral

Creative Director

Team Cultic

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Scope control is scope control. Open-ended conclusions can be fine (see Baldur's Gate but also unpatched Tyranny). I'll be sure to let everyone know how it stands in my review. :)

Is it unusual that there is no option to purchase it on Steam yet, while there is an option to purchase it on GOG?
Does seem a little weird. I've been thinking about picking up that $20 copy from Gamersgate but I'm waffling on it since I just scooped up Pathologic 2, am going to scoop up Disco soon, and I've still been playing a bunch of Magic lately. Stygian looks cool but it'd probably fall by the wayside even if I snatched it up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Beowulf

Arcane
I caved in and preordered in on GoG.
Can't deny - it looks good and while I had some doubts, about their treatment of Mythos, they managed to show that they know what they are doing.
So I decided to support them by showing their publisher that there is a market indeed for titles like that.

Now we shall see what they'll deliver.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"--And then they killed Cthulhu with dynamite and lived happily ever after."

:roll:

It's mentioned right on the store page that there will be no world-saving in Stygian. :M

Why are you fake newsing me Rusty?
The struggle in Stygian is not to save the world, for that battle is lost already. Pursue your own goals in these end times: salvation, vendetta, or perhaps something darker.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom