Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Poor dwarfs, writers of many settings seems to really hate them, because setting where dwarfs past of their glory times is so common, it almost a cliche.
Is there any setting where dwarfs have functional empire in golden age?
Dwarfs are allegory for the jews. Do you know any setting where the jews had a functional empire in their golden age?
Dwarves love work. Do you know any jew who loves work?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Poor dwarfs, writers of many settings seems to really hate them, because setting where dwarfs past of their glory times is so common, it almost a cliche.
Dwarfs are allegory for the jews. Do you know any setting where the jews had a functional empire in their golden age?
Dwarves love work. Do you know any jew who loves work?
Dwarfs love gold and nothing else,that is their main characteristic.

I think that was gnomes. Mainly on Arcanum.
I am talking about the original concept of dwarfs,in due time it got watered down to honourable warrior that like fighting. Gnomes in arcanum is what dwarfs were in origin more or less. A short ugly people defined by their greed.

V_K

Arcane
Serious answer: Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale (the Magic Candle series prequel).
(Well, technically there's no empire but two warring kingdoms, but you get to unite them)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think some whale just dumped a few thousand Euros on the Kickstarter campaign. It jumped to 155k.

Mark Richard

Arcane
It is indeed a common theme. In fantasy, humans tend to thrive as the youngest and most adaptable race. Dwarfs wallow in their faded glories, their lifespan amplifying an unchecked nostalgia which is only matched by their aversion to sunlight and bathing. I'd like to think a bitter dwarf lies in the heart of every Codexer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, is this a thing? Isn't the whole point of the SRD that you don't need a license? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2630193

Wizards of the Coast granted us a license to use the Dungeons and Dragons SRD 5.1 Ruleset!

da30c8de11021cf4aa22c1763dafe982_original.png

Great news everyone!

We've now officially received the license to use the System Reference Document 5.1 from Wizards of the Coast, further anchoring our will to make the most faithful video game adaptation with the Tabletop Ruleset to craft the game you are hoping for!

For those who may not be aware of it, SRD 5.1 is an official document with all the necessary rules to play, upon which we will be building compatible Solasta content such as Sub-classes, Backgrounds, Feats and plenty of other things!

Wishing everyone a great week-end, we're also almost up 90% funded!

cb72790fdcf7dbe7c39a7158ccd3c0a1_original.png

Don't forget to vote, Paladin vs Ranger poll ends tomorrow!

Referral Program Tutorial

ArchAngel

Arcane

Darkzone

Arcane
Uh, is this a thing? Isn't the whole point of the SRD that you don't need a license? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2630193
SRD in Video Games gets a little more complex than that, so we went ahead and discussed with WotC to reach an agreement and avoid any potential issues in the long run.
Could you explain it a bit more and deeper?

Armor don't matter for barbarian, generally the barbarian use reckless attack, so enemy have advantage on hitting him.
The Reckless Attack is just a one part of the two part equation and not always a good choice, especially if the enemy has / enemies have a much higher amount of damage dice. Preferably the Reckless Attack is used in conjunction with the damage resistance of the rage, since you get the advantage. And therefore a higher probability to hit and crit hit with a lower probability of crit fail, while this also applies to the enemy that is attacking you. And since the Barb has more HP and receives less damage due to the rage, you try to outdamage the adversary and win due to the last man standing principle. So if he is not using Rage as a mean to lower the amount of received damage then he is just accelerating a bit the fight in aspect of exchanged damage per turn with the Reckless Attack. At best it shortens the fight and at worst it forces the healers to use higher spell level spell on the Barb.
Therefore i think Sinatar has wrote his response, which indicates that if you play the Barb without Rage and Reckless Attack you are just a bad fighter with less damage dealing potential and higher damage receiving potential due to lower AC.
I think that ERFKRAD playes the Barb for thematical reason (which is OK) and not for powerplay.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
5e don’t have an aggro/threat mechanic. reckless is the only thing that is obvious to any enemy even the dumb one.

getter77

Augur
Closest I can reckon on it is OGL is (historically, as it only came about in the 3'ish era, then skipped 4e outright, etc) the most fundamental skeletal level where typically everything of this sort has navigated from in terms of KotC/Zorbus/The Red Prison/etc and all else, with the Baldur's Gate III situation being the most advanced to the point of outright endorsement and collaboration well beyond the designation outright---this, updated with the above mentioned v5.1 fare "unlocking/including" more critical spells and whatnot as per the bullet points, constitutes something of a midpoint that they are trying with 5e to presumably allow for more of a cultivated base via the DM Guild aspect and in general than they did for the original round that generally got "away" from them and resulted in the hinterland hiatus.

So...they have a fair bit more room to move in the official spaces than stock standard OGL in addition to their own creative content and house ruling, even if not part of the meta per se like BG III undoubtedly will be. Just a flat out different state of being than any D&D game to date as far as I can piece together---a first of perhaps more to come on this new approach to licensing and scope afforded to third parties.

Codex Year of the Donut
Codex Year of the Donut
SRD 5.1? What changed?
SRD 5.1 Update
In response to feedback from the D&D community, we've updated the 5th edition SRD. Here's a summary of the changes:

• Various key spells used by classes, magic items, and monsters have been added to the spells section. For example, the eldritch blast cantrip is essential for many warlock abilities, and is now part of the SRD.
  • References to any archetypes (and similar choice-based class features like cleric domains) that aren’t in the SRD (like wild magic for sorcerers) have been removed from the text to avoid confusion.
  • References to “chapters” are gone, as the SRD isn't organized by chapters.
  • Bookmarks have been added for the most important and frequently-referenced topics.
  • A few text corrections have been made (such as a few references to "DM" instead of "GM," some typographical errors from importing the text from its original source, and incorporating errata from the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual).
  • All appendices have been moved to the end of the document. For example, the Conditions appendix from the Player's Handbook used to appear in the middle of the SRD, but now it's at the end. To avoid confusion between appendices taken from the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual, the appendices now have a PH- or MM- prefix as appropriate.
  • Rules for magic item attunement, activating items, and wearing and wielding items are now in the SRD.

Deleted Member 16721

Me EYE boy, me EYE. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom