Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
but not the revolution Tim Cain claimed it was

What?

If anything Tim and Leonard have been hard at work lowering expectations on it since the reveal/during the gameinformer month.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

What?
From Beneath a Starless Sky:
“It's killing me not to talk about what we're doing because, after spending five years supporting the visions of others, it's been fun to go back and make a brand-new IP from scratch using all the lessons I've learned over the past several decades. It's fun,” Cain said. “I'm all prepared to talk about the things this game does that you haven't seen yet, and ways I think it evolves the RPG genre. But for the most part, I think our team reached full size about a year ago. We've had quite a lot of people working on this for the last year.”

Still waiting for that, Tim!

Anyway, now that I've provided a citation, please remove your fake news rating from my post.

Duraframe300

Arcane

What?
From Beneath a Starless Sky:
“It's killing me not to talk about what we're doing because, after spending five years supporting the visions of others, it's been fun to go back and make a brand-new IP from scratch using all the lessons I've learned over the past several decades. It's fun,” Cain said. “I'm all prepared to talk about the things this game does that you haven't seen yet, and ways I think it evolves the RPG genre. But for the most part, I think our team reached full size about a year ago. We've had quite a lot of people working on this for the last year.”

Still waiting for that, Tim!

That's at least 2 or 3 downsizings of the game before due to budget/polishing reasons as they mentioned themselves since. Also that quote says nothing about what Tim actually means there. Would be an interesting question if an interview ever comes to fruition. What made it in, what didn't.

So as of February 2019 I still declare that post Fake News.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's at least 2 or 3 downsizings of the game before due to budget/polishing reasons as they mentioned themselves since. Also that quote says nothing about what Tim actually means there.

I would like to see Cain himself say that everything The Outer Worlds was supposed to do that no one had ever seen yet and the ways it evolved the RPG genre had to be cut entirely.

Quillon

Arcane
Well, that inhaler is kinda unique; mixing ingredients into custom e-juice, evolving the genre fo'sho :D

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's at least 2 or 3 downsizings of the game before due to budget/polishing reasons as they mentioned themselves since. Also that quote says nothing about what Tim actually means there.

I would like to see Cain himself say that everything The Outer Worlds was supposed to do that no one had ever seen yet and the ways it evolved the RPG genre had to be cut entirely.

You claimed he was talking about revolution, but “evolving the genre” means something much less grandiose. He was obviously referring to the new leadership build and the reactive flaw system. As soon as they started talking about the game in detail, Tim wouldn’t shut up about that stuff.

Those are both evolutionary, not revolutionary: they are new adaptations that modestly move the genre forward. He absolutely delivered on that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He was obviously referring to the new leadership build and the reactive flaw system. As soon as they started talking about the game in detail, Tim wouldn’t shut up about that stuff.

Those are both evolutionary, not revolutionary: they are new adaptations that modestly move the genre forward. He absolutely delivered on that.

Leadership builds huh

Charisma in New Vegas modifies Barter, Speech and Companion Nerve. Companion Nerve gives each companion in the party +5% to their damage and armor, up to a maximum of +50% at 10 Charisma.
Ferocious Loyalty 6 CH 6 1 When you drop below 50% HP, companions gain +50 DR.
Spray and Pray 22 1 Your attacks do 75% less damage to companions.

Flaws are traits combined with challenge perks. I suppose that is a new a configuration, making it a small evolution.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
He was obviously referring to the new leadership build and the reactive flaw system. As soon as they started talking about the game in detail, Tim wouldn’t shut up about that stuff.

Leadership builds huh

Charisma in New Vegas modifies Barter, Speech and Companion Nerve. Companion Nerve gives each companion in the party +5% to their damage and armor, up to a maximum of +50% at 10 Charisma.

Flaws are traits combined with challenge perks. I suppose that is a new a configuration, making it a small evolution.

Leadership modifies much more than charisma ever did , like unlocking abilities ,how much your companions skill affects your skills , healing when use the inhaler, bonuses for after killing a enemy or when a companion is downned etc.
Its a upgrade in every way over New Vegas' Charisma.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Leadership builds huh

There’s no such thing as a big evolution. You may want to have words with your local school board if you translate “evolve the genre” as “revolutionize” rather than “make some neat incremental changes.”

Tim was excited about the flaw system because it reacts to what happens in the gameplay, as he’s said over and over in interview after interview (you normally do so much homework). That’s what’s makes it different from traits + challenge perks.

As for leadership builds, sure, there have been perks and stats that bolster your companions for ages, but leadership in TOW also lets your companions bolster your skills. Tim is excited about this because they built the whole game around speech/stealth/murder... or leadership.

Maybe this stuff is underwhelming, but it’s not unclear.

Edit: every time Tim or Leonard talks to the press about this game, they bend over backwards to tamp down the hype. You might notice that they haven’t been doing these media appearances for a while now. I wouldn’t be surprised if management insisted other people talk to the press because the directors were being too realistic.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There’s no such thing as a big evolution.

Fallout. :M

Tim was excited about the flaw system because it reacts to what happens in the gameplay, as he’s said over and over in interview after interview (you normally do so much homework). That’s what’s makes it different from traits + challenge perks.

I stopped caring about The Outer Worlds when they announced there would be no boxed copy for PC. Why bother concerning myself so much about something I won't be able to play for years if ever?

Challenge perks are also something that happens during gameplay. They're just bonuses instead of flaws plus a bonus of your choice.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
crazyrobot.gif

ciox

Liturgist
So you can read all about the character sheet stuff on here

https://theouterworlds.fandom.com/wiki/Attributes
https://theouterworlds.fandom.com/wiki/Skills

They've definitely made an effort to be creative, but things seem a little random, like the Speech skills' impact on combat and the Mind and Intelligence skills which are actually quite heavily damage and health focused, also how most every weapon has a way to boost its non-critical damage except for plain firearms.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
There’s no such thing as a big evolution.

Fallout. :M

Huh? Fallout didn’t evolve the genre, it revolutionized the genre. It was so big that for many people it retroactively changed the definition of what makes a CRPG.

I stopped caring about The Outer Worlds when they announced there would be no boxed copy for PC. Why bother concerning myself so much about something I won't be able to play for years if ever?

Challenge perks are also something that happens during gameplay. They're just bonuses instead of flaws plus a bonus of your choice.

Flaws are responsive to a single event or encounter whereas most of the challenge perks are like kill 100 robots to get a small damage boost to robots. Also the flaws look to be a lot more meaningful: a bunch of robots beat your ass, take a 25% debuff to half of your core stats when in the presence of a robot.

Hire a damn lumberjack so you can use the internet already.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
So you have a degradation kink?

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The clutter in the HUD really itches my heart, everything is taking too much space. I'm not big of a fan for quest compasses but at least in F:NV it was some confusing marks that only show the direction but now it's a fucking big indicator that's stuck in the middle of the screen with the numbers of meters.
FFS who the hell thinks this is a good thing.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
but things seem a little random, like the Speech skills' impact on combat and the Mind and Intelligence skills which are actually quite heavily damage and health focused,

This I agree with. It does seem a bit random and even a bit hasty.

also how most every weapon has a way to boost its non-critical damage except for plain firearms.

This I thought was actually a good thing. Lesser magic bullets syndrome is always good.

I just hope the skills’ effects on sway is hefty enough that there will actually be a sense of progression in putting points to gun skills (that there is an actual feelable sway to reduce to begin with).

One - perhaps a bit lesser in the big picture - thing that caught my eye was, that once you hit 80 in lockpicking, you are forced with a talent that makes you see what’s inside a locked container before you try to open it. I think that’s just unnecessarily cheapening of the feature and even annoying to a certain degree. It kinda robs the excitement from locked containers.

Good thing is it can be bypassed by leaving lockpicking at 79 since the two last talents are pretty pointless, but I don’t know what else that might bypass (perks, dialog, do the locks have deterministic gates...?).

ciox

Liturgist
but things seem a little random, like the Speech skills' impact on combat and the Mind and Intelligence skills which are actually quite heavily damage and health focused,

This I agree with. It does seem a bit random and even a bit hasty.

also how most every weapon has a way to boost its non-critical damage except for plain firearms.

This I thought was actually a good thing. Lesser magic bullets syndrome is always good.

I just hope the skills’ effects on sway is hefty enough that there will actually be a sense of progression in putting points to gun skills (that there is an actual feelable sway to reduce to begin with).

One - perhaps a bit lesser in the big picture - thing that caught my eye was, that once you hit 80 in lockpicking, you are forced with a talent that makes you see what’s inside a locked container before you try to open it. I think that’s just unnecessarily cheapening of the feature and even annoying to a certain degree. It kinda robs the excitement from locked containers.

Good thing is it can be bypassed by leaving lockpicking at 79 since the two last talents are pretty pointless, but I don’t know what else that might bypass (perks, dialog, do the locks have deterministic gates...?).

One of the mind attributes probably used to be Endurance, but the "six attributes max" magic rule was in effect so a weird merger took place there.

The thing about magic bullets is just about every other weapon has a way to boost its damage, all science weapons, melee weapons, the unusual damage types... I could warm up to it somewhat if it turns out that only firearms can score headshots or something, but I doubt it, it just seems like another magic rule that was put in... no buffs for non-critical firearms damage.

And I actually like locked container previews, though the way they did it is weird.
If the game has "transactional" chests where breaking into them is expensive and you want to make the right choice, or it has the modern "throw completely random loot tables everywhere" approach that fills locked containers with very bad loot or even no loot... well either way you'd prefer to just have container previews available from the beginning, so you can make the correct choices and avoid dumb "gotchas" right away rather than waiting until Level 12 or whatever.

Quillon

Arcane

More TGS gameplay , some new quests/dialogue and epic battle between A very Buggy Flexiable Guard vs A little Alien Rat.

@13:10 he says there is spacer's choice aesthetics standards for hair, this explain's everything!

nah, not really :P

Terenty

Liturgist
Wanna see an example of good writing? Look at the scene with a mirror in Disco Elysium. This scene alone destroys any feeble attempts at comedy i've seen in Outer Worlds

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom