Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

DraQ

Arcane
it's the same.
It's not. Text (orange, on the right) indicates present control mode and view. Icons indicate next control mode, view or whatever (what will happen if clicked).
I would post screenies but TinyPic happens to be shutting down and I CBA to find alternative hassle free image hosting service, so just imagine I just did.

Please, be considerate and don't waste my time by being wrong.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Frontier financial report:
https://otp.tools.investis.com/clie...regulatory-story.aspx?cid=1725&newsid=1326478

- Elite sold 3 million units so far (not counting the Horizon expansion)
- Company revenue in 2019: 89.7 million pounds, up from 34.2 million in 2018
David Braben, Chief Executive, said:

"I am delighted to report a record level of financial performance, which reflects the skill and hard work of our talented team and the support of our players around the world.

The company is skyrocketing. Job well done. :salute:

Latest update broke the game again, apparently. Also now has cash shop stuff in the ingame UI, Frontier's stepping their game up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Latest update broke the game again, apparently. Also now has cash shop stuff in the ingame UI, Frontier's stepping their game up.
They already had a cash shop, just not ingame, but on their own site. This just brought it ingame. Also, just for paintjobs, so meh, who cares. It is actually an improvement, because now you will be able to collect special money during the game, which you can spend on paintjobs. Before you could only buy paintjobs with real money on their website.

This just brought it ingame.

Yeah, that's the problem, before it was a bad decision but now it's a bad decision that intrudes into the ingame UI. Muh immersion and all that.

because now you will be able to collect special money during the game, which you can spend on paintjobs. Before you could only buy paintjobs with real money on their website.

This seemed cool to me until I found out the rate at which you acquire Arx, the weekly cap on it, and the actual costs of skins and stuff.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't get why anyone plays it anyway. Everyone says it is "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle". If the average gamer thinks it is shallow then it must be ridiculous.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I don't get why anyone plays it anyway. Everyone says it is "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle". If the average gamer thinks it is shallow then it must be ridiculous.
Gosh, why are they playing it....why? Wait, let me figure it out:
giphy.gif

I got it!!!!!

It's FUN!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You like it? I could put up with mediocre combat and with grind, but only if it lead to an end game with a big pay off. Like being able to fly a big capitol ship or something and start my own corporation and get rich and then do something epic with the money. But it seems like if you want to do that you have to play the X series, Eve online, or little 2d indie games.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
J_C isn't wrong, the game can be fun for quite some time while you're trying out the various means of making money but unless you are a Boomer-tier gamer who only plays for a few hours each weekend and is content with space trucking, the game quickly loses its excitement. Everything turns into a goddamn chore and nothing you do really matters. I went to Sag A, which was a goddamn chore, made a ton of money from exploration, bought an Anaconda, engineered it a bit (which was a goddamn chore) and now that's basically it. I've won the game. Normally that would be fine but ED doesn't evolve, it doesn't improve or change so there's 0 reason to come back.

e:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-buy-arx-repost-from-r-elitedangerous.522302/

:lol:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
J_C isn't wrong, the game can be fun for quite some time while you're trying out the various means of making money but unless you are a Boomer-tier gamer who only plays for a few hours each weekend and is content with space trucking, the game quickly loses its excitement. Everything turns into a goddamn chore and nothing you do really matters. I went to Sag A, which was a goddamn chore, made a ton of money from exploration, bought an Anaconda, engineered it a bit (which was a goddamn chore) and now that's basically it. I've won the game. Normally that would be fine but ED doesn't evolve, it doesn't improve or change so there's 0 reason to come back.

e:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-buy-arx-repost-from-r-elitedangerous.522302/

I would argue that the game does not evolve, but overall you are right. The game can become a chore after a time. But until then you will have a fun time. And for me, putting the game down after a 100 hours is good investment. I don't play it as an MMO, playing it on an on and on for thousands of hours. And since it has no subscription, I can come back to it from time to time for a little fun. Then if I get bored, I put it down again. I don't see why should a game provide endless entertainment.

Morkar Left

I stopped playing shortly after the Horizons update. Anything new? What changed since then?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

e:

Is it worth it though? I mean "Everything turns into a goddamn chore and nothing matters, made a ton of money from exploration, bought anaconda, engineered it and now I've won the game" doesn't sound good. How many hours was that fun part, and how many hours was the boring part and then discovering you are done with the game?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It was worth it in the sense that I paid roughly 30 bux and got rougly 200 hours worth of game out of it, even though in hindsight 150 of those were probably spent on hitting J to jump to another system.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

What else should people play? the whole space genre has been hijacked by morons with Frontier at least being from the previous generation. If it was millenials Elite would run in 3rd person and have anime characters.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You could play non-space games. I think Eve and the X series are better if you want the depth of things to do.

Deleted Member 16721

I like playing ED in VR with a joystick. It's very immersive and interesting that way. That said, I haven't played it a ton yet as I am waiting until I'm in the mood to record video episodes of the game again. But the little I've played has been a lot of fun. It controls very well with a good joystick (only cost $250) and the VR headset (HTC Vive Pro).

Fishy

Savant
Went back at the weekend to grab the 1 Arx thingie. Looking at prices for other stuff made me lol. It's cool for the people who spend their days in the game I guess, they'll get a shitty paint job every 6 months they would have had to pay for pre-change. More casual players will be able to pick up a cheap decal here and there.

It's still a shitty mmo that makes you pay for bog standard customisation options as opposed to the magnificent moddable single player sandbox it should have been (as unanimously established by a survey of 1, this one being me).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom