Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sir, you are being hunted.

that should do it.
*ahem*

edit: On topic, not much of a game here, but it has charm and when complete will probably be good for a couple hours of fun.
A healthy dose of hand-placed content would do the game good. Quests, friendly NPCs, randomized objectives, and the like. Not likely, as others pointed out.

Waiting for 75% off sale/bundle.

edit 2:

That said, I would be more interested if you could at least go inside buildings. Just make them procedually generated, too. At least it would be a different environment to spice things up (different gameplay as well - if the robots can enter and exit rooms, you wouldn't be able to just sprint down corridors nonstop)

They have a post on the matter.

http://www.big-robot.com/2013/07/20/why-cant-i-enter-the-buildings-in-sir/

I don't know enough about game design to judge whether their explanation (budget too small) holds, but even partial, bare-bones interiors (à la ArmA) would be better than no interiors.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
Ha. No one in his rigth mind will pick up a mass effect 3 avatar pic. :cry:

Edit:

They plan to add more robots... its something.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I was going to buy that game... well, what does the codex think of Outlast? its not out yet but seems pretty cool for shitting your pants.

Scary i.e how atrocious the A.I is probably going to be like most games on the market these days? The game play looks like it is just using the same gimmicks as Fear franchise.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I backed it and got alpha/beta access, and I get a strange graphical bug that makes distant intersecting objects flicker against each other. The game looks a bit interesting for now, but I find it hard to look at...

I was going to buy that game... well, what does the codex think of Outlast? its not out yet but seems pretty cool for shitting your pants.
I asked for a review copy because the Steam page looked interesting, but I haven't had any response (same with Pigs). Then I looked up more gameplay footage and it was nothing but shock triggers. It looks like it's made specifically for pewiepwo0wpe to scream at for mutual popularity increase.

Psquit

Arcane
I backed it and got alpha/beta access, and I get a strange graphical bug that makes distant intersecting objects flicker against each other. The game looks a bit interesting for now, but I find it hard to look at...

I asked for a review copy because the Steam page looked interesting, but I haven't had any response (same with Pigs). Then I looked up more gameplay footage and it was nothing but shock triggers. It looks like it's made specifically for pewiepwo0wpe to scream at for mutual popularity increase.

What a shame... thx.

ColCol

Arcane
Fuck, I tried to get steam to let me return the game or turn it back into steam key, but they refused. This is the greatest tragedy in my life.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
99% of the time Steam doesn't do refunds. Sometimes they'll do them if they game is just a buggy piece of shit or doesn't work.

Ladonna

Arcane
So, this game is for sale on gog at the moment. Has anyone been playing the later version of it? Has it improved beyond the above expectations?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think it's amusing the game is "out" now, yet still lacks a lot of the depth people assumed it would eventually add.

That said, for what it is trying to be it seems okay. I'll get it next time it goes below $10.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is [Betrayer] gud
The more I think about it, the more I think Sir, You Are Being Hunted is better, at least in gameplay. It's the same open fields with little cover, but with better AI and far superior stealth mechanics.
How IS that game, anyway? I found it an interesting concept but then it also felt somehow, I dunno, too "quirky"? Any reason to put it on a (massive) backlog, or just skip?
It feels somewhat incomplete perhaps, but the gameplay is quite good. Levels are procedurally generated and the patrol AI is unpredictable, which is all great for a stealth game. Also the game ramps in difficulty with time and/or progress (once you find 25% of the objectives it gets harder, then again at 50% and 75%) which curves nicely. Plus you can set game parameters easily once you get to know how it works, so if 20 patrolling guards isn't a challenge, how about 50? All this and you're searching over gigantic maps for small machine parts which is a tough challenge unless you can find scanning equipment, but scanners make noise and you can't carry your gun at the same time. The setup really allows you to survey the scene before making a move: I haven't searched over there yet, there are two guys on that side so I can try going around the other way or perhaps I can kill them first but maybe there's nothing back there anyway ... it's surprisingly thoughtful for a procedural game.

But basically that's all it is. Searching around, outwitting the AI, deciding whether to fight, sneak, or run moment to moment. Once you've mastered the systems that is kinda it.

Oh and also there's multiplayer, which can make it more fun. Split up? Work together? One guy scouts while another guy sneaks? One guy distracts while another guy runs in to grab the prize? Again, a lot of variables give you a lot to think about.

Deathsquid

Learned
Is [Betrayer] gud
The more I think about it, the more I think Sir, You Are Being Hunted is better, at least in gameplay. It's the same open fields with little cover, but with better AI and far superior stealth mechanics.
How IS that game, anyway? I found it an interesting concept but then it also felt somehow, I dunno, too "quirky"? Any reason to put it on a (massive) backlog, or just skip?
It feels somewhat incomplete perhaps, but the gameplay is quite good. Levels are procedurally generated and the patrol AI is unpredictable, which is all great for a stealth game. Also the game ramps in difficulty with time and/or progress (once you find 25% of the objectives it gets harder, then again at 50% and 75%) which curves nicely. Plus you can set game parameters easily once you get to know how it works, so if 20 patrolling guards isn't a challenge, how about 50? All this and you're searching over gigantic maps for small machine parts which is a tough challenge unless you can find scanning equipment, but scanners make noise and you can't carry your gun at the same time. The setup really allows you to survey the scene before making a move: I haven't searched over there yet, there are two guys on that side so I can try going around the other way or perhaps I can kill them first but maybe there's nothing back there anyway ... it's surprisingly thoughtful for a procedural game.

But basically that's all it is. Searching around, outwitting the AI, deciding whether to fight, sneak, or run moment to moment. Once you've mastered the systems that is kinda it.

Oh and also there's multiplayer, which can make it more fun. Split up? Work together? One guy scouts while another guy sneaks? One guy distracts while another guy runs in to grab the prize? Again, a lot of variables give you a lot to think about.
Hm, sounds interesting. Is there an overarching goal, or some kind of boss events, or is it more of a hide-and-seek type of thing?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, sounds interesting. Is there an overarching goal, or some kind of boss events, or is it more of a hide-and-seek type of thing?

No real story or context, just wander around surviving long enough to find X number of mcguffins so you can escape.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, sounds interesting. Is there an overarching goal, or some kind of boss events, or is it more of a hide-and-seek type of thing?
No real story or context, just wander around surviving long enough to find X number of mcguffins so you can escape.
That's somewhat unfair. It's true there's no story other than "escape the robots", but the gameplay is more focused than "wandering around". You have to find the 5* scattered pieces of the escape machine and time is against you, which changes the atmosphere considerably. You are under a lot of pressure to be systematic and search quickly but methodically, including figuring out how to get past patrols blocking where you want to be.

*Another parameter you can set to whatever number you want.

I'm not saying it's a must play - it's not - but the time pressure does elevate it from tourist attraction to strong, tense stealth game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Played this on a whim after having it on steam for years. Took me around 4 hours for a single playthrough. Not bad. You could clearly see the STALKER and Pathologic influences, in stripped down micro-budget indie form. Surprisingly good sound design, which despite the cartoony visuals leads to some surprisingly tense moments as you hide among tall brush while robot hunters beep all around you. And while I'm usually against procedural generation it works somewhat well in this game, probably due in some part to the areas being fairly small so there is not as much as room for repetition and bland space-filling. If you can get it on a discount it is worth trying.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

This gets a remaster/remake by a separated company.

There's no mention of incentives to existing owners (free giveaway or discount) but the original also got an update from the same company. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/242880/view/2977430785357902793

Sir, You Are Being Hunted: 1.5 Update, And Some Big News!
Mac 64-bit supported, multiplayer back online, and a new edition of the game.

Well look at this! For the first time in nearly six years we are rolling out some patch notes for a Sir update thanks to amazing work by our Dutch friends, Den Of Thieves Games. They are long time fans of the game, and are responsible for this comprehensive update.

It's a doubly special occasion, of course, because we are announcing Sir arriving on one of those console machines in 2022, also thanks to Den Of Thieves Games. The console in question is Nintendo Switch. But more on that elsewhere!

And there's more! The Switch version will be a comprehensive remaster, and that will return to PC as a new standalone game, with enhanced visuals, new gameplay options, a modern engine, bigger islands, faster procedural generation, and more! It will be a Reinvented version of the game we love.

You can wishlist it now!

Anyway, those patch notes for the latest update.

Key Features Of 1.5

• Multiplayer functionality restored and Official Multiplayer servers back online.
  • Mac 64-bit support. This should give a significant speedup on Apple machines with an M1 chip.
  • Islands generate much faster due to engine upgrade.
  • Many legacy bugs fixed and graphical upgrades including modern water shader.

The Full Details

• Windows: Upgraded Engine to Unity 2018.3.2f1 (was Unity 4.6.1f1).
  • Mac: Upgraded Engine to Unity 2021.1.18f1 (was Unity 4.6.1f1).
  • Linux: Upgraded Engine to Unity 2021.1.18f1 (was Unity 4.6.1f1).
  • The Mac version of "Sir, You're Being Hunted" now has native 64-bit support for both Intel and Apple Silicon platforms. This should give a significant speedup on Apple machines with an M1 chip.
  • Terrains are now rendered using the new Terrain System. As a result, distant terrain should now look nicer.
  • Rendering has been changed so that the game now renders in the native sRGB color space. Contrast has been slightly increased as a result.
  • New graphics options have been added: an "Ultra" preset, MSAA Anti-Aliasing, an all-new "Ultra" setting for Water Effects and a toggle that enables SM 4.0 High-Quality Transparency have been added.
  • All Javascript code has been converted to C#, and the game has been switched to the IL2CPP backend on all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux). This should result in performance gains in CPU-bound scenarios (notably while generating a new world).
  • All Textures have been reimported at their maximum resolution. This results in a slight increase in texture resolution, notably on many buildings (churches and houses) in the game world.
  • The in-game HUD has been reworked to scale better on widescreen monitors (4:3, 16:9, 21:9 and tripple-wide 16:9 setups are supported). Texture resolution on UI elements has been increased and certain elements have been reworked.
  • The FPS cap has changed: when enabled, it will now lock to 120 fps by default (was 70). You can override this behaviour by launching the game with "fpslimit x" as a launch parameter (where 'x' is the desired framerate cap, such as 144 or 240 fps for high refresh rate monitors).
  • Many lighting issues have been fixed. As a result, lighting should look smoother.
  • Re-enabled some missing effects on the "Axe" weapon model.
  • Added new text/warning messages when a player attempts to insert an item other than a teleporter piece into the standing stones, or attempts to cook meat on an unlit fire, or attempts to put an item in their inventory that they do not have room for.
  • Upgraded the navigation backend to the newest version.

Fixes

• Fixed a bug where it was possible to open the menu while the screen is still fading in (pauzing the fade-in, resulting in a black screen).
  • Added a button on the class selection screen that allows players to return to the main menu.
  • Fixed a bug that caused docks to spawn on inland lakes instead of on the coast.
  • Fixed a bug that caused docks to spawn in the corner of the map, outside of the playable area.
  • Fixed a bug where teleporter pieces would spawn inside of other objects, partially obscuring it or making it inaccessible.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the "Dog" models on the main menu to not animate.
  • Fixed a bug where it was possible to be shot at, and killed during the ending cutscene.
  • Fixed a bug where dogs could perform their "bite" attack through walls.
  • Fixed a bug where weapon models would remain visible (and respond to mouse movement) after the player dies.
  • Fixed a bug where it was possible for toy trains to ride across the water (toy trains now explode when hitting water).
  • Fixed Z-Fighting issues on certain building models.
  • Fixed a bug where the Rider NPC, and certain objects in the "industrial" biome would render fog incorrectly.
  • Fixed an issue where Ambient Occlusion would render incorrectly during the ending cutscene, and on underwater objects.

The "Sir, You Are Being Hunted" 1.5 Patch Team

Lead Programmer:

Anne "Yuang" Wijning

Producer, Additional Art:

Vasil Kichev

Product Owner:

Jim Rossignol

Programming:

Lorenzo Greidanus
Emily Oldenwening

Special Thanks:

Dan Puzey
Jay Shaffstall (Muskingum University)
Brean "Eclecticklish" Hunt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom