Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Throwdown: Why Two Worlds Fucking Rocks

madbringer

Arcane
Yeah, dude, i just said oversized weapons put me off. There's no need to rant about fantasy being unrealistic, it's implied in the word itself FFS

Oh yea, it fucking rocks alright. Been playing it these past couple of days. What an underappreciated gem.

What are some of your favorite aspects of it?
Well there are too many, so excuse the list format:
  • Professionally coded: The game has 0 bugs and loads in a matter of seconds
  • Seamless open world without loading. You only load when you go to underground areas, otherwise all cities, villages, houses are in the same region and not gated by loading screens.
  • Tons of loot. I mean tons. Decking out your hero is awesome.
  • The main character is snarky and often hilarious.
  • Very good writing and characters. They are often unique, funny, and rich with personality. The voice acting is hit or miss, but i found it charming.
  • Horse riding and horseback combat.
  • All the niceties of modern game design without the hand-holdy trade-off. You have a map that shows everything, but you first have to fill it in. Quest markers only appear if specifically gave by NPCs.
  • Innovative and fun magic system in which you combine effects and modifiers to create your own spells. Granted, it's not as fleshed out as the sequel, but it still features lots of spells possibilities (summons, charm, chaos, poison, necromancy etc.)
  • Pseudo-Gothic style trainers. You do get a lot of the skills available from the get go, but many skills (eg. Necromancy, alchemy etc.) require you to hunt down trainers and pay for initiation training.
  • Fantastic - albeit not very consistent in theme - soundtrack.
  • Lots and lots of content. I mean tons.
  • Alchemy system where you hunt down rare ingredients for massive boosts. You can even permanently increase your stats with alchemy.
  • Sneaking, thieving, pickpocket, lockpick.
  • Archery and ranged combat.
  • The view distance is amazing. I have no idea how they managed to pull it off, but my god, it totally transports me sometimes.
  • Faction system with affinities and competing objectives.
  • You can disguise yourself as an orc and have everyone attack you on sight OR use said disguise to infiltrate orc camps. There might be more disguises but i don't know yet.

I'm gonna go on shill crusade. This game is too awesome to be ignored like this in an arcane place of knowledge such as the Codex:

Well I beat the game. Verily t'was incredible. Really filled the disappointing void 2019 had left me in so far. I'll definitely move on to the sequels very soon. I cannot for the life of me understand why this game was received so poorly. Maybe the state it was released in was very different than the Epic Edition we got now, but really, this has quickly become one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Verily!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom