Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG is better: Underrail or Age of Decadence?

Which RPG is better

• Underrail

• Age of Decadence

Results are only viewable after voting.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Easily Underrail. The combat is objectively better, the game runs and feels much better than AoD as well just in terms of performance, graphics, and UI, and the overall ambiance and story of Underrail is honestly one of the best out there. I haven't managed to fully commit to an AoD playthrough because every time I boot it up I just feel like closing the game and doing something else, but people who enjoy Underrail cite it as one of greatest RPGs of all time, while people who enjoy AoD don't tend to think of it as highly.

EDIT: Why the fuck is the poll not public faggot?

Egosphere

Arcane
Voted Underrail, but it's a close call. I do like that AoD is much denser in content, so if your build sucks it'll suck right off the bat. I'm not a fan of the first few missions up to and including Depot A in Underrail, either, but everything that comes after that is excellent (apart from DC). If VD's next game keeps the content concentration, but embeds more stand-alone mechanics outside of text boxes, then I expect it to be my favourite out of the 3.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Proposed sequel thread:

"Which fruit is better: Apples or Oranges?"
Oranges.
Better taste, vitamins and alcohol.
iu

Swigen

Arbiter
I think if y’all are being honest with yourselves, you’d admit that RIGHT NOW you feel like eating a big juicy orange.

D1062_6_480_1200.jpg

mushaden

Scholar
I prefer AoD. I only played Underrail once, but I'm really looking forward to another playthrough with the expansion. Maybe my mind will be changed. Regardless they're probably the best rpgs in the last 15 years

Void_Pickle

Educated
AoD. The replayability really gives it the edge for me, I've probably gone through it 5-6 times at this point, whereas I doubt I'll replay Underrail again anytime soon despite the expansion (though I will at some point).

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
You can actually do something for yourself in Underrail. AoD is a book masquerading as a story with no player agency.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I feel like AoD is more of a visual novel then an RPG.
You can actually do something for yourself in Underrail. AoD is a book masquerading as a story with no player agency.
Age of Decadence, aside from the combat, is similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book, or more properly to the 'gamebooks' that combined CYOA books with RPG elements. :M
When I say "Visual novel" I'm typically referring to something more akin to CYOA than crappy anime VNs tbh.
I had some TSR-licensed CYOA books as a kid, they were great.

Tigranes

Arcane
I feel like AoD is more of a visual novel then an RPG.
Age of Decadence, aside from the combat, is similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book, or more properly to the 'gamebooks' that combined CYOA books with RPG elements. :M

Funny thing is how AOD had pretty intense, hardcore combat. It doesn't really help in a comparison with Underrail, which has some amazing (if janky in its own way) combat, but more generally AOD as 'CYOA' really undersells its strong combat component.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny thing is how AOD had pretty intense, hardcore combat. It doesn't really help in a comparison with Underrail, which has some amazing (if janky in its own way) combat, but more generally AOD as 'CYOA' really undersells its strong combat component.
A way to speed up combat animations would help the game tbh. I was also rather underwhelmed by the special attack system. It's basically just budgeting your AP, with an occasional judgment call regarding your chance to hit for some of the more specialized stuff.

Trashos

Arcane
Both are awesome for different reasons, so I will not vote.

Interestingly, while Underrail has a more sophisticated combat system, AoD features more carefully crafted encounters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom