Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much did you like Numenera's story?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

How much did you like Numenera's story?

• I loved it!

• I really enjoyed it, though it's not perfect

• It's pretty okay but flawed in some major ways

• I am perfectly balanced between my likes and dislikes

• Mostly fairly meh, but not without its moments

• A poor effort overall, not much good about it

• I fucking hated it! Gimme back muh dolla billz

• I did not finish it because it was too boring

• I did not finish it because it was too exciting and I got a heart-attack and died

• I never played it

• I automatically dislike everything that was made in the last twenty years or so

• I only like Kingmaker: Pathcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I can't even remember much of the story.

barghwata

Savant
I think the fact that most people here prefer PS:T's story over Numenera's truly shows just how terrible and superficial the taste of most codexers truly is, i mean anyone with a rational mind and a sliver of understanding of what constitutes good writing can easily notice the pretentiousness and cringeworthiness of PS's writng, which lacked all of the depth and complexity of Numenera's intricate storytelling.
And this is without even mentioning the fact that
if you haven't noticed that i'm trolling already you must be an idiot or looking to get triggered........................

Deleted Member 16721

I loved it. I enjoyed the setting greatly, the characters and the little stories you'd get from interacting with gadgets, weird aliens and merecasters. The merecasters were a lot of fun and interest for me. Enjoyed the locations as well.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Where is an option of "it was too pretentious and obvious money grab"? Of course if they cut 2/3 game it makes sense, with these two additional thirds, the game would only suffer atrocious combat system, and too gated leveling system.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Trials of Numanuma is a storyfag game, and as such I am interested in playing it. What is the overall codex consensus on the quality of its story/characters/atmosphere/setting/writing/dialogue/etc etc etc?

If you're such a special snowflake that you can't possibly fit your ultra-sophisticated ppinion into any of my oppressive and narrow-minded options, then post it as a comment!

Never arrested me, but you can be somewhat interested if you can approach it without expectations and take everything that happens at face value. My level of attachment is probably comparable to an acquaintance you enjoy talking to occasionally but wouldn't want to be friends with; if they're not in your life, you might miss them but never enough for it to become a distraction. Much like Spielberg's practiced craft in Indiana Jones 4 (an otherwise pretty mediocre movie) there are certain aspects of that will probably impress you, but these are few and fleeting.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
Miel Avest is really poorly implemented or was so impacted by cuts it should have just been removed or totally re-worekd. An exceptionally railroaded lore dump and I hated every second of it.
Other than that I think the story itself was mostly fine. The two main hubs and included side quests are reasonably well done albeit excessively wordy. The two main ending sequences tied it together as best they could.
Problem was primarily gameplay.

Codex Year of the Donut
I liked the merecasters, and I liked the idea of being able to use them to tinker with the past.
Can't quite remember if it was stated bluntly that you'd be able to actually alter reality by using them, but that's probably something that should be hidden from the player until they realize what happened.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I liked the merecasters, and I liked the idea of being able to use them to tinker with the past.
Can't quite remember if it was stated bluntly that you'd be able to actually alter reality by using them, but that's probably something that should be hidden from the player until they realize what happened.

The first mere you enter is Matkina's and the idea that you change reality in them is immediately apparent when going into it fixes Matkina's brain fog (you can't not fix it).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Then you play the end fight, and all the characters you killed in Meres come back with no explanation other than "You messed with me memuries brah" so it defeat the whole point of the procedure +M

Like with the 99% of games today, it is necessary to omit the last act to make it perfect. The era of Cannotintotheendings

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then you play the end fight, and all the characters you killed in Meres come back with no explanation other than "You messed with me memuries brah" so it defeats the whole point of the procedure +M
Can you even permanently kill other castoffs? There are gaps in my memory now, but I'm under the impression only the Sorrow or extreme damage could permanently end them, otherwise they just wake up again later.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I liked the Endless Gate, like, realy liked.
It is both hilarious and sad that I cannot even remember what that is.

The first mere you enter is Matkina's and the idea that you change reality in them is immediately apparent when going into it fixes Matkina's brain fog (you can't not fix it).
I don't remember the specifics, but Matkina's mindfog and its resolution can fairly easily be explained with mindfuckery in the context of the nonsensical setting, not necessarily altering reality.

That said, it's made fairly obvious that it does alter reality, at least later.

Also, I think "(you can't not fix it)" sums up so much as to why Numanuma is bad in so many ways.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I liked the Endless Gate, like, realy liked.
It is both hilarious and sad that I cannot even remember what that is.

I don't remember the specifics, but Matkina's mindfog and its resolution can fairly easily be explained with mindfuckery in the context of the nonsensical setting, not necessarily altering reality.

That said, it's made fairly obvious that it does alter reality, at least later.

Its pretty weak compared to Dakkon/TNO arc though

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I don't even see the relation.

Compare "interacting" with Matkina by merecasting and interacting with Dakkon by Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon and all these things that happen, and you see how doomed we are.

I can't also forget the fact that you can broke Dakkon's will by being an abusive assshole and he becomes evil....aaaand gets bonus to fight skills!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
don't remember the specifics, but Matkina's mindfog and its resolution can fairly easily be explained with mindfuckery in the context of the nonsensical setting, not necessarily altering reality.

They specifically call attention to how you specifically went back in time and altered the past whereas no one else has been able to do that with meres.

Also, I think "(you can't not fix it)" sums up so much as to why Numanuma is bad in so many ways.
The other meres have different consequences. You can fail a great many of them.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Compare "interacting" with Matkina by merecasting and interacting with Dakkon by Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon and all these things that happen, and you see how doomed we are.

I can't also forget the fact that you can broke Dakkon's will by being an abusive assshole and he becomes evil....aaaand gets bonus to fight skills!

There’s another way to play the nameless one besides being an absolute asshole?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

There’s another way to play the nameless one besides being an absolute asshole?

Yes, you can play as the asshole who deeply regrets what he did before.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
The general plot was good enough. Actually let's say the premise of the story. But the devil is in the details and the execution was all in all horrible, from companions to the the actual story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom