Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate III retrospective series by Bob Case (MrBtongue)

Desolate Dancer

Educated
Why are you advocating for one of the worst features in BG? Even ignoring outside-of-combat pathfinding which they fixed by turning everyone into ghosts, it would make in-battle pathfinding excruciating just as it was in the IE games. One of Sawyer's greatest regrets was making the first dungeon in IWD too narrow because he was a newbie who didn't know better, so he made sure that would never happen again.
As I said, it wasn't perfect yet it was way better than PoE's feeling of emptiness whenever you were in a dungeon. Not to mention the numerous times when even BG managed to create interesting and smart encounters by utilizing the area's environmental features. Most notable examples would be the narrow path behind Durlag's Tower where two tough Doomguards pommeled your party, or when down in the mines you had been surrounded by Orc Archers, but you could not approach them in melée so you were totally exposed to their attack. So proportions aren't only bad in PoE aesthetics wise (emptiness, artificial taste), but also because they never actually utilized the environment (something that even the first BG managed to do, not to mention BG2). Pathfinding was shit, yet it never bothered me all that much, I only encountered this talking point years after my gameplays somewhere on the internet. I may have been fed up once or twice with Minsc stucking somewhere or something, but it was a non-issue imho. The very least, it wasn't a gamebreaking issue (like any single trait of PoE for instance).

PS: It's also funny that Soyboy has any regret about IWD, since that game at least was a playable compared to his latest... (coughhh) 'achievements'... IWD was always a boring game for me cause party interaction/dialogue is what breathed soul into the BG saga. Without that, IWD really was just a glorified hack&slash with d&d ruleset/lore. I think I finished both games only once then never bothered to touch them again, but from IE standpoint they had the same potential.

S.torch

Arbiter
PTID_CARDS.png

That redesign of The Nameless One look awesome.

Goes to show beamdog can make any kind of substandard swamp shit and somebody out there will have bad enough taste to eat it up

What? I said that the Nameless One looks good because you don't find a lot of fanarts of the character out there and this interpretation of him is pleasing to the eye while at the same thing respecting the original design to a degree with the only thing that looks a bit "off" being the face. I don't like how Morte or the Mother of Pain looks though.

You could think a little before jumping with nonsense man.

YldriE

Learned
But the Nameless One being ugly as fuck was arguably one of his main traits.

The game's entire gimmick is that you aren't allowed a traditional foothold from which to proceed, cRPG conventions and trappings-wise you are uprooted from the get go. The "keys", the street giving birth, your first teammate being a floating skull, rats being not the weakest foes but among the most powerful, the brothel offering conversations, the bartender selling you your own eyes, everything is supposed to be alien and unfamiliar.

A big part of TNO and his companions is that you don't get to make him cool or good-looking. You don't get to give him a cool-sounding name, or handsome hair, or a badass set of armor. He even has a journal written on his back for fuck's sake. He is not supposed to be you, an idealized you, or even in general someone you might want to be. He's an ugly fuck.

Darkzone

Arcane
The game's entire gimmick is that you aren't allowed a traditional foothold from which to proceed, cRPG conventions and trappings-wise you are uprooted from the get go. The "keys", the street giving birth, your first teammate being a floating skull, rats being not the weakest foes but among the most powerful, the brothel offering conversations, the bartender selling you your own eyes, everything is supposed to be alien and unfamiliar.
A big part of TNO and his companions is that you don't get to make him cool or good-looking. You don't get to give him a cool-sounding name, or handsome hair, or a badass set of armor. He even has a journal written on his back for fuck's sake. He is not supposed to be you, an idealized you, or even in general someone you might want to be. He's an ugly fuck.
Couldn't expressed it better, even if i tried. Reversed Fantasy and RPG tropes made PST to what it is.

Tigranes

Arcane
S.torch
im aware. it doesnt look pleasing to the eye. it looks shit. TNO's ugliness is also central to his character and now he is some boy band douchebag cosplaying

S.torch

Arbiter

No he is not. This is how the Nameless One looks like.
serveimage

The art above is a good representation of him, a gray/green skin, strong, full of scars, and a dark expression in his face.

The game's entire gimmick is that you aren't allowed a traditional foothold from which to proceed
Making something "different" or non-traditional doesn't magically makes it good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom