Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch™ Remastered - NOW I & II on STEAM !

Miner 2049er

Scholar
After 8 hours I had to stop. As beautiful and lovely the game looks, as boring it is for me. I tried to get in, but the combat and the hand-holding killed it for me.
And the certain girl known for her fitness is for people with slow internet. I Gladly Go to GAMES.CourtesyOfMajesty is where it's at.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm at the 2nd main dungeon of the game (Cat King level). I think I've gotten a good look at the loop of the game. Town>new pet>dungeon>boss>story progression, rinse repeat.

This combat is lulling my ass to sleep though. Is it worth suffering through to get to the dead mommy story bits? That I like, the game is beautiful, and the cutscenes are amazing. Maybe putting the game one made will make the combat go by faster...

lightbane

Arcane
Just watch a LP or play the translated DS game. The White Witch version is weak sauce and the unique content outright horrible.

Ivan

Arcane
could you briefly explain? is this "White Witch" version some sort of GOTY bloated version? I don't watch LP's so I think I'll just set aside and move on. I'll see if the game remains the same after the Cat Kingdom...

lightbane

Arcane
could you briefly explain? is this "White Witch" version some sort of GOTY bloated version? I don't watch LP's so I think I'll just set aside and move on. I'll see if the game remains the same after the Cat Kingdom...
No, lightbane has no idea what he is talking about. Wrath of The White Witch is just a remaster of the PS3 version with higher framerate and resolution. There is an old DS version of the game. Think of at Dragon Quest 11. There is a 3DS version and a PS4/PC version. That's the difference
The dumbfuck tag serves you well, as it clearly shows you haven't played either game, or the DS version.

The White Witch one is a remaster of the PS3 version, of course, that's true, never denied that. The problem is that the PS3 version has story and gameplay differences compared to the original DS version (which has been translated long ago so it's finally playable), for not to mention the DS version is turn-based and has better capture mechanics than the PS3/remake version. The White Witch continues the story where the original ended, and it shows. The writing takes a nosedive (which was noticeable with every scene with that ghostly little girl being an addition) with asspulls and poorly thought ideas, gameplay gets bad, a 4th character joins in at a lower level that yours (so he's useless except for an unique spell you can get later anyway) and the new bosses will eat you alive due the sudden spike of difficulty unless you grind to obtain the best familiars by that point... Or you farm the "common" new enemies, as each one of them is carrying an elixir for some reason, letting you get tons of them very quickly. The "real" final boss was bullshit hard IIRC because your party wasn't able to target it correctly, forcing you to do everything with just the character you control.
If the remaster fixed some of these mechanical issues, I do not know, but I doubt they changed the story from the OG PS3 game. That game is a game carried by the production values and art style.

I haven't played the original DS game yet to be honest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than the PS3 and beyond versions, if only because combat is fully turn-based and thus you don't have to worry about positioning issues or dumb AI.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's just as good as saying that someone shouldn't play Dragon Quest 11 on PS4/PC and rather watch a playthrough of the 3DS version that never left Japan
The current Steam version of Dragon Quest 11 has the classic mode just like the 3DS version and replaced the original DQ11 version on PC, so you're kinda wrong there as well

Ivan

Arcane
moving on guys. thanks but I'll same my JRPG stamina for Persona 5 next month (never played a Persona before)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom