Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

grimace

Arcane
Original Developers of FALLOUT, IWD working on a BG SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! TAKE MY MONEY!

Original Developers of FALLOUT, TORMENT working on a TORMENT SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! START THE HYPE TRAIN!

When are you gonna learn, guys? It's pathetic.

How many people worked on Arena & Daggerfall?

Project leader: Julian Lefay (Vijay Lakshman for Arena, he is also on the team)
Programming: Julian Lefay
Design: Julian Lefay, Bruce Nesmith, Ted Peterson (Ted Peterson for Arena)
Additional Design: Todd Howard (lol), Kurt Kuhlmann
Art: Ryan Chapin, Don Nalezyty

Looks like Elder Scrolls really is Julian Lefay followed by Ted Peterson and Vijay.

The main team is there !

Pray they don't go to Kickstarter.

grimace

Arcane
Everyone in that discord is either a modern Bethestard or actively dislikes everything about Daggerfall. If that's their target audience, I can safely write off their game.
All the kult of kirkbride fags found it.

Kirkbride wife was posting on their discord.........inb4 Kirkbride joins their team

I thought Kirkbride was on the team? I dunno if this project will go anywhere.

Post more discord quotes.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Everyone in that discord is either a modern Bethestard or actively dislikes everything about Daggerfall. If that's their target audience, I can safely write off their game.

Kirkbride wife was posting on their discord.........inb4 Kirkbride joins their team

Currently it's the Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 guys, Julian Lefay, Ted Peterson, Vijay Lakshman

As a writer, I am both fascinated and annoyed by Michael Kirkbride. He managed to create some of the best metaphysical lore in gaming by accident. Read C0DA and make no mistake, Michael Kirkbride is an awful writer who got high on shrooms and weed. He got into the falsely and pretentiously profound state of mind one gets into when taking baby's first psychotropics. And even though by all rights, the writing of Morrowind should've been pretentious twaddle, Michael Kirkbride weaved an amazing meta-narrative by accident. A narrative he himself doesn't understand on account of being a pretentious stoner with half his mouth on a bong and the other half firmly suctioned to his own arsehole. .

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Found a quote by Lafey

..frankly, I'm surprised that no one has tried moving the bar in all the years that have passed.So many things that could be done with proper knowledge of various techniques, unknown to me at that time, now so familiar: finite automata, context free-grammar, machine learning, feature detection and many others.
I haven't played any games that try to accomplish what Daggerfall did, persistence and growth of NPCs, the more NPCs feel like real people and the more continuity there is over an extended period of time, the more real the world will feel, (a game like this) has to stimulate the sense that the world is huge.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't interested in doing a Daggerfall sequel or Daggerfall reinvented, it could definitely be a thing

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
He managed to create some of the best metaphysical lore in gaming by accident. Read C0DA and make no mistake, Michael Kirkbride is an awful writer who got high on shrooms and weed. He got into the falsely and pretentiously profound state of mind one gets into when taking baby's first psychotropics. And even though by all rights, the writing of Morrowind should've been pretentious twaddle, Michael Kirkbride weaved an amazing meta-narrative by accident. A narrative he himself doesn't understand on account of being a pretentious stoner with half his mouth on a bong and the other half firmly suctioned to his own arsehole. .

If you think MK's writing is an "accident" and that he "doesn't understand it himself", then you are supremely retarded. Unlike most modern video game writers, MK studied literature, art, and comparative religion in college (back when there was no dedicated classes for game design) before even ending up in the video game industry. Therefore he is among rare, traditionally educated artists/writers, which is why his TES lore is so profound, multi-layered and has garnered a cult following.

Still, I don't think he would be a good addition to the team, because there is a big difference between how LeFay/Peterson (TES I, II) and Kirkbride/Rolston (TES III, IV) approach worldbuilding.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Now who is having bad taste here?
1549932992937.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

As a writer, I am both fascinated and annoyed by Michael Kirkbride. He managed to create some of the best metaphysical lore in gaming by accident. Read C0DA and make no mistake, Michael Kirkbride is an awful writer who got high on shrooms and weed. He got into the falsely and pretentiously profound state of mind one gets into when taking baby's first psychotropics. And even though by all rights, the writing of Morrowind should've been pretentious twaddle, Michael Kirkbride weaved an amazing meta-narrative by accident. A narrative he himself doesn't understand on account of being a pretentious stoner with half his mouth on a bong and the other half firmly suctioned to his own arsehole. .
What is it with you people and the metaphysics? Its the opposite. He's a very good worldbuilder, the metabullshit is what's garbage.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Kirkbride adapted Gnosticism into a video game. What's so accidental about that?

His prose is passable. But he brilliantly synthesized interesting, bizarre, and meaningful thoughts on religion and metaphysics into a coherent universe.
C0DA goes off the rails a bit. Like all writers, he needs a good editor.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Why stop at one tit when you could have three?

How does a third breast fit with Elder Scroll lore?

Imagine in the years ahead when academics study computer games as literature and people write a thesis on Kirkbride-ian themes.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wonder if Julian really wants to hit it out of the park and include machine learning in this.... there would be hilarity ensued with having a 'virtual game master', probably buggy also, but it would be revolutionary.

Deleted Member 16721

Machine learning? Hmm. Can you please post more quotes from the Discord Makabb? I'm very intrigued in this project.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Machine learning? Hmm. Can you please post more quotes from the Discord Makabb? I'm very intrigued in this project.

It's from the quote I posted a few posts earlier

"So many things that could be done with proper knowledge of various techniques, unknown to me at that time, now so familiar: finite automata, context free-grammar, machine learning, feature detection and many others"

deuxhero

Arcane
Who wrote the books in Daggerfall (especially a Brief History of the Empire) and the original Pocket Guide to the Empire? People talk about Kirkbride's stuff so much they miss a lot of TES's other lore.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Who wrote the books in Daggerfall (especially a Brief History of the Empire) and the original Pocket Guide to the Empire? People talk about Kirkbride's stuff so much they miss a lot of TES's other lore.

Lore in Arena and Daggerfall was by Ted Peterson and Julian LaFey

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom