Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I think you should maybe avoid Underrail though. I'm playing it right now and trying my best to not rage quit, but there is just so fucking much wrong with it. The UI is too small, I loot all sorts of junk because even if I don't want to do nerdy crafting, I usually like to sell everything. But nobody will buy it, and the weight allowance is real, so I had to drop 50 items and there is no hotkey. So click, drag across the screen, repeat 50 times.... :argh: And every journey you make in the game is 100 miles long and in slow mo, and lots of loading screens. Even with SpeedHack it is a chore. Basically I really hate this game, but I am playing it because there are only about 4 turn based games on the planet and I love tactical fighting so I am hoping the high levels make it worth it... But basically, "so time and energy consuming" is what Underrail is all about.

Exactly what i had feared.
If you like cRPGs and TB combat you should give it a go, you might be surprised.

barghwata

Savant
I think you should maybe avoid Underrail though. I'm playing it right now and trying my best to not rage quit, but there is just so fucking much wrong with it. The UI is too small, I loot all sorts of junk because even if I don't want to do nerdy crafting, I usually like to sell everything. But nobody will buy it, and the weight allowance is real, so I had to drop 50 items and there is no hotkey. So click, drag across the screen, repeat 50 times.... :argh: And every journey you make in the game is 100 miles long and in slow mo, and lots of loading screens. Even with SpeedHack it is a chore. Basically I really hate this game, but I am playing it because there are only about 4 turn based games on the planet and I love tactical fighting so I am hoping the high levels make it worth it... But basically, "so time and energy consuming" is what Underrail is all about.

Exactly what i had feared.
If you like cRPGs and TB combat you should give it a go, you might be surprised.

I still intend to give it a try, since as anvi pointed out, you can count how many CRPGs with good TB combat there are on your fingers these days.

Gibson

Learned
I haven't play a whole bunch of them; I ignored RPGs for the better part of the 90s because I just couldn't stand the style of them. I was hook, line and sinker in strategy games at that time. then came the isometric RPGs and i took them (and still do tbh) as a strategy/tactic but with a decent story (prolonged "campaign").
then came the FPS/TPP RPGs which I just don't care for, I played NWN2 and DA:O with the camera zoomed out as far as possible. and to this day for some reason, I can't get into TPP/FPS RPGs, so no witcher, mass effect, KOTOR...just give me an overview of my surroundings, I really don't care for "awesome grass effect and water reflection". and I especially hate using M+KB with TPP, i actually started the first Witcher because of all the hype and just quit after first 30min (i still remember saying to myself "fuck this shit" and reinstalled BG2 and solo cheesed my way through the game with kensai mage)
the only FPS RPG i actually played through was morrowind, because it was just great to wander around and explore every nook and cranny (it was the only thing that kept me going)

I have no problem and actually really enjoy Darksouls et al. because i'm playing it with a controller and don't really consider it an RPG, more like a 80s-90s nintendo action platformer, but in 3D :D

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
old might & magic-s i started with VI,
and old elder scrolls. i started with morrowind
oi never finished wasteland nor bards tales II and III

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Baldur's gate 1,2
Morrowind
any homm
wasteland
any wizardrys
Homm is different to M&M by the way. M&M is an rpg blobber. Homm is like a grand strategy game with turn based battles of small armies. I love it. I don't like M&M, except the last one which has decent combat, but is worse at everything else:/

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I bounced back hard from BG1 and BG2. The reason? The game I have played immediately before was Fallout.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Alpha Protocol - uninstalled 5 minutes into the game. Twitch dialog gets a firm "nope" from me.

Ruins of Myth Drannor - a driver update made it unplayable. Not that it wasn't almost unplayable anyway.

Temple of Elemental Evil - every year or two I try to give it a go and something always puts me off. I'm presently waiting to see what Temple+ will do for it.

Wizardry 8 - I just can't do 150+ hour games.

All post-Morrowind Bethesda games - too much self-respect, I guess.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Alpha Protocol - uninstalled 5 minutes into the game. Twitch dialog gets a firm "nope" from me.

Ruins of Myth Drannor - a driver update made it unplayable. Not that it wasn't almost unplayable anyway.

Temple of Elemental Evil - every year or two I try to give it a go and something always puts me off. I'm presently waiting to see what Temple+ will do for it.

What is Temple+?

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

What is Temple+?

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/project-temple-released.98904/

Codex Year of the Donut
BG2, because i generally dislike RTWP combat and despise bioware's insultingly simplified writing, then again they might've had better writers back then.

Underrail, because games that feature non-stop TB combat kind of intimidate me, it feel so time and energy consuming, i'll get around to playing it eventually though.
I always liked BG1 a lot more than BG2.
BG2 has Keldorn though, and Keldorn is bro-tier.

KOTOR. Original movie trilogy was ok for first time i saw it, but everything else "star wars" is shit.
The games really have nothing to do with the movies. Felt like a stand-alone scifi series for me as someone who doesn't really like star wars.
Worth playing, meatbag.

Also i've never played Witcher 3. Because Witcher 2 was shit.
Witcher 3 is really nothing like 2. Do the side quests, completely ignore trying to complete the map(easily one of the biggest mistakes they made was the Ubisoft formula map imo), and do the expansions. Hearts of Stone was fantastic, Blood and Wine is really good.
Main story is meh, but worth completing just for closure.

Wizardry 8 - I just can't do 150+ hour games
I gave up about halfway through. Gets really repetitive. I've seen a lot of other people say this also, so maybe it's common.

CoronerZg

Scholar
Dragon Age: Origins - I took a break from gaming at the time when DA: O came out and EVERYONE was talking about it and hyping it. Blah blah blah... it's the BG3 we've been waiting for! So I've finally given it a go waiting for that BG magic to show up and boy was I disappointed. Dialogues were just so... fucking... bad. It hurt my soul. And to amplify those bad dialogues, facial expressions were also retarded. And then I saw it's going to be a DARK LORD, and DARK SPAWNS or DARK whatever, some generic evil zombies... sigh... at that point I just uninstalled.

Years later I still hear about it as "a classic" and I'm wondering what's wrong with me, cause even though there were no good RPGs for years, I never even considered trying it again. Dunno. Maybe one day I'll try it again and finally see it as "a classic" :|

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haven't played and most likely won't.
Ultima games.
Elder Scrolls games other than Morrowind. Morrowind is a nice game (with issues), but I have zero interest in the rest of them.
Dragon Age and Mass effect series.
Dark Souls. I haven't really played with a controller since the NES era and I'm not going to play it with mouse+keyboard.

Haven't played but might some day.
Vampire: Bloodlines.
Wizards and Warriors.
Divinity games after Divine Divinity.
Witcher 3. I played the first 2, I might get 3 eventually but I'm not in a rush.

steel legion

Novice
Balder's gate 2 i first wanna finish the Balder's gate 1 but that game is like a 100 hours
wizardly 1 to 4 they don't really look that appealing to me
the entire might and magic series i do have them on gog i just didn't really had the time to play it

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The first couple of levels suck imo, but it gets better and then it gets really good. Some really nice complex battles.

JDR13

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor

I tried it briefly, but it's so pixelated on modern monitors, I could barely tell what I was looking at most of the time. I'm surprised it's never been remastered or at least modded for higher resolutions.

Deleted Member 16721

Haven't played Fallout 2 yet. Tried Wizardry 8 but wasn't feeling it, might have to go back sometime. Betrayal at Krondor I never really got into either. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, and the Gold Box games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom