Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

French court rules Steam should allow resale of digital games, Valve will appeal

This was a fascinating thread. People arguing that it is good that we have less rights, because THINK OF THE CONSEQUENCES is surreal.

Battered wife syndrome.

Please don't anger him...you don't know how he can get when he's angry.

vqw63ah19rb01.png

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Have people already realized that nobody in this story is advocating for people to be able to sell individual games they bought on Steam to other users? The case is about the clause in Steam store policy that prohibits people from selling their accounts to other users, which is the only way you could sell your Steam games without Valve's direct involvement. Simply removing that clause would end the case and change pretty much nothing for regular users, since most wouldn't ever consider selling their accounts.

Dexter

Arcane
The "game streaming" people remind me a bit of the "console gaming will kill PC gaming" people, except those actually had their method of playing games actually being popular and desired by consumers in their favor, and at the point they started saying that and making stupid predictions they actually had a sizeable market share of the gaming market they could base said prediction on and didn't constitute a fraction of a percent of the total gaming market and some retarded Tech Betas that have been a thing every now and then for a decade.

passerby

Arcane
It was beaten to death in this thread if you want it explained in detail just read it, tldr version:

The ease of reselling digitally on the right platform would cause that the scale of second hand trade to be order of magnitude higher than with physical on consoles where a physical copy is used by 2,5 people on average and unlike piracy these would by mostly actual lost sales.

Drakron

Arcane
The "game streaming" people remind me a bit of the "console gaming will kill PC gaming" people

Yes, lets ignore what the PS2 did to PC gaming and only the flopflopflop of the next generation consoles started reverting it.

A lot of people also claimed Steam and Digital Distribution would never beat physical distribution and here we are, should I go to the reason why consoles even appeared (PCs were expensive and consoles offered the same or better experience at a much lower price), I dont think Google Strazdia or whatever its call is going to take off because its cost, just like VR despite all those pushes never took off ... pricing will always be a key factor as well ease of use, reason why Linux could never challenge Windows was because a bunch of smug retards keep parroting the idea that you need a master degree in programing to install the thing because they were oh so superior because they used Linux, the smart people OS ... a notion that Linux never managed to brush off and people still use Windows because they fear using Linux as being too complex.

As long its cheaper and easy enough to use ... yes, it can.

mogwaimon

Magister
oy vey you all are so blinded by Valve and Gaben that you think it's 'just' about Steam and just call everyone you disagree with 'valve cultists' and flop around weakly claiming that we're guzzling Newell cock...well, if the ruling goes through it's not just Valve that will have to comply with it, it will set a legal precedent that might be used against Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo...so they will make moves to comply with the law so they don't have a lawsuit on their hands, and unlike Valve those companies have the luxury of working within a fully closed ecosystem...both Sony and MS already have subscription/streaming services of some kind in use, with MS pushing their pass pretty hard by giving out first-party exclusives on day one with their subscription service. Might not be this console generation, but next gen or the gen after they could definitely test the waters with a streaming only console, especially if it allows them to put out a box with low enough hardware costs so they're not losing money on console sales like they've been doing for the past two gens at the least.

maybe i'm just a doomsayer, maybe it won't be so bad as that, but we've all seen how they ease the dildo in just enough so when they adopt these practices industry-wide it's easier to fuck everyone since we're all a little more accustomed to it than we were at the outset.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That is what I find so strange. All the people insisting used games sales will utterly collapse the games market, when piracy which has a far worse impact has already been around for years. What kind of person feels that somehow the games industry which has had to deal with the effects of piracy for the entire time it has existed will just be unable to cope with used games sales.
Publishers and devs.

Everytime their games fails, they cry about piracy. They don't sell DRM-free, they stuff our games with DRM and online-only features because they fear piracy, despite proof that they can cope and survive its effects. This is why most games don't release on GOG, or if they do, only years later. Some publishers and devs even argue that the used game market and sharing a game with friends is the equivalent of piracy.

It is clear that their decisions are directly influenced by their perception of lost sales: they take active measures about their games distribution to prevent such perceived losses. So don't you think they'll do the same against the digital-used-games market? If they perceive that it will cut into their sales, they'll freely choose to go with a distribution method that negates that loss in their minds: streaming. And the move to online only will be complete.

Dexter

Arcane
it will set a legal precedent that might be used against Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo...so they will make moves to comply with the law so they don't have a lawsuit on their hands
What a truly horrible notion and vision of our dark future.

mogwaimon

Magister
it will set a legal precedent that might be used against Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo...so they will make moves to comply with the law so they don't have a lawsuit on their hands

You may make light of it now, and maybe Valve will go with the consumer friendly route of allowing for the resale of used games and keeping their service the same otherwise, but you can bet that MS, Sony, and Nintendo won't. Nintendo for example only recently started tying content to accounts instead of consoles, you really think they're prepared or willing to allow the resale of digital games?

Well, the only real option is to wait and see what they do, because clearly we're all at an impasse when it comes to argument.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Tying content to an account is only one of the many reasons I already exclusively pirate steam only games. If companies want to try assraping customers more, it will be no difference to me. As always, the steam users will take that dicking and the pirates will get games that don't have any intrusive anti-buyer features. There's some delicious irony in that quote by Gabe Newell, about how you stop piracy by offering the better product. The reason I pirate is because I get the superior product to what steam makes me put up with.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Some people either see much more power in valve/corps than they actually have, or much less power in legal systems than they actually carry.

How jaded and cynical you gotta be.
Also how stupid.

Morkar Left

You may make light of it now, and maybe Valve will go with the consumer friendly route of allowing for the resale of used games and keeping their service the same otherwise, but you can bet that MS, Sony, and Nintendo won't. Nintendo for example only recently started tying content to accounts instead of consoles, you really think they're prepared or willing to allow the resale of digital games?

Well, the only real option is to wait and see what they do, because clearly we're all at an impasse when it comes to argument.

What's the problem providing a digital market where one game license can transferred to another user and get an earn money from the fee?

Efe

Erudite
Might not be this console generation, but next gen or the gen after they could definitely test the waters with a streaming only console, especially if it allows them to put out a box with low enough hardware costs so they're not losing money on console sales like they've been doing for the past two gens at the least..
i think this is very unlikely since a mediocre console costs a lot less than a thin client + powerful server

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wonder if the french judgement only cover games you bought via Steam directly or all games in your account, independent of where you got the key

mogwaimon

Magister

What's the problem providing a digital market where one game license can transferred to another user and get an earn money from the fee?

There's no problem with it at all, the problem is whether or not companies will go to the trouble of providing such a service or if they will attempt to circumvent the ruling by changing their service altogether.

Might not be this console generation, but next gen or the gen after they could definitely test the waters with a streaming only console, especially if it allows them to put out a box with low enough hardware costs so they're not losing money on console sales like they've been doing for the past two gens at the least..
i think this is very unlikely since a mediocre console costs a lot less than a thin client + powerful server

Keep in mind that Sony already has some form of infrastructure in place for PSNow and Microsoft being what it is also already potentially has powerful servers that could be adapted for use from their Azure cloud service and it's not that far fetched. Nintendo would be the only company out of the one I mentioned that has no known pre-existing cloud servers in place, so they'd fall behind a bit. But like I said they're terribly behind on online services for their consoles...You think tying games to accounts is bad, they only just migrated to that from tying games to hardware, you had to call Nintendo just to transfer your games if you misplaced your 3DS and had to get a new one, for example. With how primitive their online offering is, I simply doubt their ability or willingness to provide used digital game sales TBH.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
People already buy and sell accounts anyway (often for bargain-basement prices compared to the nominal ticket cost of the included games, mind you), and while Steam threatens to ban accounts that are found to be sold, I don't think that happens often.

passerby

Arcane
Not only that, people sell access to their accounts with huge game libraries, all DLCs included for 2$, on which you can download, activate and play offline single player games.

But being able to pull out individual games could sway people that currently use only their own account and buy games.
Even if they're hoarders, they could get rid of currently unused game and repurchase after the price is driven to the bottom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom