Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 2 - the new NON-episodic Hitman game

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you turn off all assistance, which you can do, and play it as an "unlock the challenges" game, it is EXTREMELY good in my opinion. A mix of puzzle and stealth that really hits my buttons. If you leave all assistance on and just do the main mission stories though then yes, it is on rails and not great.

Ereshkigal

Educated
If you approach with the mind of someone that wants to finish a level as I used to do, it is unsatisfying, you can finish most Hitman levels with a simple and ultra quick bullet to the head but you don't finish a level on Hitman on the usual way, you experience all the options the level gives to you, you are only truly finished as you exhausted all the ways you can dick around and have different results.

Here the challenge comes from what result you want not from just eliminating the target and accomplishing the goal, if you don't find that amusing as you just want to reach the goal on the most efficient manner, then the game will be unsatisfying.

My guess is that anvi didn't deactivate the cues, in that case it feels like being on rails. To be fair, some assassination methods are pretty bullshit to get without cues. I don't know if that aspect improved in the sequel, but Hitman 1 could've benefited from being clearer in some instances w/o assist.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My guess is that anvi didn't deactivate the cues, in that case it feels like being on rails. To be fair, some assassination methods are pretty bullshit to get without cues. I don't know if that aspect improved in the sequel, but Hitman 1 could've benefited from being clearer in some instances w/o assist.

I've had to turn assistance on to figure out maybe 2-3 stories out of 100+, because you had to be in an exact spot they didn't give you directions to. The vaaaast majority of the time though it works fine without.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I found that most of the time the game gives you some indirect hints like some engineer commenting "The jet motor is malfunctioning." then you remember that and see if you can make use of that, so even with all assists off, you can figure out most assassination ways by listening to NPCs and paying attention to the environment, it is fun to stumble on the hidden ways to eliminate the targets.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
It was $20 in the Steam Summer sale. That's when I got it. I agree $40 was too much for two maps and some very meh extras. The main game was $60 and had 6 maps.

Half price seems perfect value, I really should have kept an eye out for the sale, but I did not imagine they would go so cheap before even releasing the full expansion.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
How is it a "sandbox?" If I want to kill a guy by breaking his chair can I do that? No. If I want to kill a guy by injecting him with something while brushing past him, can I do that? No. If I want to choke a guy to death with a nearby rope or garden hose, can I do that? No. If I want... nevermind... it isn't a sandbox. You have like 5 options, the same 5 on every mission.
I really like Hitman™, but you are right, a more physics based interactivity with the environment would be really great for Hitman™.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Haven Island on September 24th:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-haven-island/

Welcome to Paradise

Haven Island is a truly tropical paradise located in the Maldives—and the headquarters of a small corporation called Haven, the world’s premiere reputation management service.

Get access to the location with the Hitman 2 Expansion Pass on September 24 and you’ll be able to explore the entire island and discover all of its secrets.

Look out for new animations and new gameplay items as well as disguises and kill methods that are unique to Haven Island.

Day One Content

After downloading Haven Island on September 24, Hitman 2 Expansion Pass owners will have access to an entirely new location in the “Destination” menu, where the Haven Island mission “The Last Resort” can be found.

The mission brings new targets, gameplay opportunities, intel items, challenges, mastery unlocks, mission stories, and everything else you’d expect from a sandbox location in Hitman 2.

Included with “Haven Island” at launch:
  • New Location: Haven Island, Maldives – Your new hub for all Haven Island content.
  • New Campaign Mission: The Last Resort – Explore Haven Island, eliminate three targets, and find your exit. Mission complete.
  • Full Support for Contracts Mode – Create your own contracts by choosing your targets and how to eliminate them—then compete with your friends!
  • 75-Plus New Challenges – Complete Haven Island challenges to earn XP, plus complete all three Mission Story challenges to unlock a new weapon.
  • 20 Levels of Location Mastery – Unlock starting locations, agency pickups, and new items when you complete challenges and earn XP.
  • Five New Location Mastery Unlocks – Get your hands on four new and unique items as well as a stylish new suit that you can use in any location.
  • Seven New Trophies / Achievements to Earn – Boost your gamerscore, collect trophies, or unlock achievements.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not watching the trailer because why spoil the level, but very excited. Also excited to uninstall 130GB once I have most of the challenges done.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
New map is out. It's pretty good, about the size of Paris or Miami. It feels a little on the "cheaper to make" side like the bank, but still solid. The main target is a pretty great nasty looking motherfucker walking around with his cock almost out smoking a cigar. There's a mechanic where a storm rolls in after a while but the lighting changes are kind of weird looking and it never actually rains. I'd rather it stay normal honestly.

Also two new "special assignments" that seem a tad better than the first two.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Warner Bros. publishes IO's new game (that is not Hitman 3): https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...nteractive-Entertainment-IO-Interactive-Enter

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and IO Interactive Enter Worldwide Publishing and Distribution Agreement for New Console and PC Game
IO Interactive’s Copenhagen and Malmö Studios Currently Recruiting Top Talent to Join Development Team for Upcoming Title

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and independent videogame developer IO Interactive today announced a worldwide publishing and distribution agreement to bring a new console and PC game experience to players worldwide.

IO Interactive has two development studios in the Scandinavian region – IOI Copenhagen in Denmark and the recently opened IOI Malmö in Sweden – both of which will be integral in the development of the new game under this partnership.

“We’re very pleased to continue our relationship with the talented team at IO Interactive,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “IO Interactive has a longstanding legacy of creating iconic games, and we’re looking forward to partnering on this next endeavor to bring a new console and PC gaming experience to players globally.”

“Over the past few years, Warner Bros. has shown us first-hand that they understand and respect our creative vision, and we’re looking forward to continuing this relationship,” said Hakan Abrak, CEO, IO Interactive. “IO Interactive has a proud history of creating compelling characters and universes for our players to enjoy—it’s in our DNA. As we embark on this exciting project to create a new universe for IOI together with Warner Bros., we’re currently looking for ambitious talent to join our team in our Copenhagen and Malmö studios for this extraordinary journey.”

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and IO Interactive previously partnered on the release of various titles within the acclaimed Hitman series, including HITMAN™ 2 (2018), HITMAN™: Definitive Edition (2018) and HITMAN™ HD Enhanced Collection (2019).

IO Interactive is currently seeking high-quality talent across all game development disciplines to join both the IOI Copenhagen and IOI Malmö studios. Interested candidates can apply at https://www.ioi.dk/jobs/.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
I have been working on tech in preparation for this new project for over a year now. It is an exciting time to be at IOI. The company has never been as smooth as these days. It is a well-oiled piece of machinery. It is very nice to be independent.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Sorry, my bosses would kill me if I told. We are under strict orders not to say anything. One thing I do want to say is that I think a big reason for our recent success is our current CEO Hakan Abrak. He is a master at what he does. I have never seen anyone negotiate the deals he have done.

Oh, and I have not had any overtime for many years now, so I am a happy camper.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I have been working on tech in preparation for this new project for over a year now. It is an exciting time to be at IOI. The company has never been as smooth as these days. It is a well-oiled piece of machinery. It is very nice to be independent.

Why did you choose Unreal and not your longstanding Hitman engine ?

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer

Why did you choose Unreal and not your longstanding Hitman engine ?

What are you talking about? It is using the Glacier 2 (Hitman) engine. We are not using Unreal at IOI for anything. All my work the last 11 years have been exclusively on Glacier 2.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think there was confusion regarding a job posting few years ago, IIRC, mentioned doing some design prototype/R&D thing using Unreal.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
I think there was confusion regarding a job posting few years ago, IIRC, mentioned doing some design prototype/R&D thing using Unreal.

Yes, at one point we did some prototyping in Unreal because, at that point, Glacier 2 did not support the multi-player features they needed for that prototype. And everybody on the tech team was busy releasing another game. I also recall we used Unity for some mobile game prototype many years ago for the same reason. But both was rather short-lived experiments, and I was not involved in either of them. These days we only use Glacier 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Rumor is it's an online focused game, so I'm not interested, but glad the studio is doing well. Hitman 2 was amazing, 200 hours played on Steam. Brofist-a-palooza.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom